Triangle Economic News

KJHburg

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

well in my book Quality of Life trumps everything else so I would rather be in Charlotte or Raleigh Durham over Austin.  Austin is nice  and a great place to visit as you said but the quality of life issues are the most important in my book.  But if you are moving from California which many are into Austin it is golden.   But they maybe because they have never come this far east.  As hot as it is right now in the Carolinas, this kind of heat and yes even humidity lingers in Austin a lot longer.  

I agree.  The QoL is way better in NC than it is in any Texas city and also Atl., which has a lousy QoL due to the traffic.

• Like 1

Good follow up story about the over $3 Billion in investment in biosciences announced just  this year in the Triangle  and how we got to this point.

Inside Amgen's decision to build new plant, create hundreds of jobs in Holly Springs | WRAL TechWire

""The 1984 creation of the North Carolina Biotechnology Center led to a successful multi-billion-dollar, decades-long statewide commitment that has established North Carolina as a global life sciences leader.""

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

From NC Demography and US Census stats released today how about this?

More NC-specific news! Fastest-growing counties (surprise #1): Johnston: 27.9% Brunswick: 27.2% Cabarrus: 26.8% Wake: 25.4% Durham: 21.4%

#1 is surprising, but at the same time it's not. JoCo is very close to Raleigh and Wake County, good connector roads, and still has an abundance of relatively cheap real estate. It also sits directly on I-95.

The perfect ingredients to spur rapid growth.

Edited by RALNATIVE
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

""A publicly-traded networking giant has quietly moved its official headquarters to the Triangle – at least on paper. Extreme Networks, a $1 billion technology firm based in San Jose, California, now lists its Morrisville site at 2121 RDU Center Drive as its global headquarters in securities filings.  Katy Motiey, chief administrative and sustainability officer for Extreme Networks, confirmed the change, telling TBJ the company recently decided to relocate its headquarters as the company has become "more virtual and highly distributed" since the pandemic began. "We’ve had an office in RDU for quite some time, the majority of our executive team is located on the East Coast, and we’ve held our shareholder meetings in RDU for the past several years," Motley said. "Moving our HQ to Morrisville made sense logistically, but we’re also excited because it’s a thriving hub of technology and tech talent.” The firm, which competes with companies like Cisco (Nasdaq: CSCO), designs, develops and manufactures both wired and wireless network infrastructure equipment. It has more than 2,500 employees across its entire organization.""

this follows Avaya which quietly moved from Silicon Valley to Durham a few years ago.

Why Extreme Networks shifted global HQ to Morrisville from Silicon Valley - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Stop, please stop! I can't take all of this winning. LOL

On a serious note, CISCO needs some serious competition. Getting some of their wireless equipment these days is like winning the lottery.

Edited by RALNATIVE
  • Like 2

More from that Extreme Networks article this is the 2nd California company that quietly relocated here plus one NYC based firm.  Plus that company that announced a few weeks (Smart Wires)   that it was moving from Silcon Valley to RTP (that one had more fanfare)

""Extreme Networks is not the first company to quietly make this kind of move in the wake of the shift to remote working. Last year, communications software firm Avaya Technologies (NYSE: AVYA) relocated its headquarters from California to Durham without a lot of fanfare. And Phreesia (NYSE: PHR), a technology firm in the health care space, made a similar move, relocating its principal executive offices to Raleigh from New York.  In both those cases, executives cited remote working trends as precipitating the move.   “It just became more apparent that there was a real need to collapse and consolidate,” Avaya CEO Jim Chirico said last year.  In the case of Phreesia, securities filings showed that with the prospect of “indefinite remote work,” the firm decided to let its costly office lease in New York City expire.""

I would expect this trend to continue especially the mid cap firms from California and NY 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

From the Triangle Biz Journal today:

""Kyle Touchstone, the newly-hired Raleigh Economic Development Director. Touchstone, who started Monday, has already seen one headquarters announcement, that of Ineos Automotive, which picked the Triangle for its new North American outpost over a competing bid in Atlanta.  And Touchstone, who previously held a similar role in Chatham County, is hoping to soon announce more – with a Fortune 500 headquarters not out of the question for Raleigh’s future.  “Fortune headquarters are always a goal for this region,” he said. “While I can’t disclose who’s looking, I think there is a strong possibility that we’re being considered by these largest companies in the U.S.”""

Major HQs weighing Raleigh, new economic development leader hints - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

""Kyle Touchstone, the newly-hired Raleigh Economic Development Director. Touchstone, who started Monday, has already seen one headquarters announcement, that of Ineos Automotive, which picked the Triangle for its new North American outpost over a competing bid in Atlanta.  And Touchstone, who previously held a similar role in Chatham County, is hoping to soon announce more – with a Fortune 500 headquarters not out of the question for Raleigh’s future.  “Fortune headquarters are always a goal for this region,” he said. “While I can’t disclose who’s looking, I think there is a strong possibility that we’re being considered by these largest companies in the U.S.”""

Major HQs weighing Raleigh, new economic development leader hints - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

While this guy may know what he's doing, it's time for Raleigh to start hiring people in key city positions that have more experience doing those jobs in larger cities, versus smaller rural communities. Raleigh is no longer the city that it was 10-20 years ago.

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

On another note, I've felt that major companies were scoping out Raleigh for a while now. That's why there are so many developers racing to acquire land in the city core and submitting requests to have that land rezoned to 40 stories.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here is just Wake County's new and expanding business announcements since last Oct 2020 to end of August.  To say the county is on a roll is understatement and more to come this year for sure.  From Apple to smaller companies in many different areas.  

New--Expanding-Companies-Report---Wake-County--NC_10-1-2020-8-31-2021.pdf (nmcdn.io)

• Like 3