From the Mayor: “One thing I wanted and asked for is a view from Cary Towne Boulevard down toward Wegmans,” he said. “What am I going to see? Am I going to see a big box? What we don’t want to see is a big box and a parking deck so if you can make it look more like a village, which they have, then they accomplish more of what we were trying to achieve.”

Apparently if you put lipstick on a pig it isn't a pig any longer. I realize large grocery stores and other large department stores are here to stay, but a chief issue in Cary has always been this illusion within the Town that they are not the strip mall, chain store, big box capital of the whole State. Sorry Mayor...giving Wegmans a brick exterior and fancier bushes, doesn't make me want to live next to it...

Why is the development of actual proper urban areas just not even whispered anymore?

Yeah I really don't see how they really made it any better of a view coming down Cary Towne Boulevard.  There's nothing "urban" at all outside of a parking deck in that corner of the site plan.  It's a stereotypical strip mall right there with just a nice facade.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be all negative on the post....thanks for keeping us up to date :) The whole idea that a box isn't a box if just don't call it a box obviously irked me. 

The biggest positive outcome for this project to me is the Trinity Road connection...

Wow. I didn't expect the response to be negative.  Compare this plan to Park West Village.  It was originally supposed to have more gridded "streets" with stores, only to turn into big boxes, huge parking lots and outparcel strips.  

The entrance is beautiful.  While the Wegman's gets everyone attention, I do like the two main streets with the boutiques, restaurants and stores. 

Now how does this affect Cary Towne Center? While they may get an IKEA, it doesn't replace the entire mall.  They have to come up with a modernization plan to de-mall and develop something nicer.  They are going to be stuck with a crappy interior mall or outlet mall if they don't do something.  Has anyone heard of any plans beyond IKEA.

• Like 1

I see where this is much better than Park West Village. My chief complaints are partly seen in the marketing moniker...'mixed use destination'. It's got walkability and mix-use components but still is primarily a drive-to destination development. Also its main streets are not streets at all, but just parking lots with their drive lanes aligned a certain way...sort of like Daniels "street" in Cameron Village. Also the pedestrian bridges would never be included in a development where street level, pedestrian life was the primary focus. North Hills short comings are similar. Until the car:person ratio comes way from down from .8:1 in the US, I suppose this is about the best I can ever hope for...

• 2 months later...

Lots of good retail is coming to East Cary Gateway in addition to Wegmans. According to this site plan Nordstrom Rack, H&M, Forever 21, Sur La Table, Free People, and lots of restaurants. (Check out this marketing package some of the print is so small I can't read it) and with IKEA opening nearby this will be a major huge retail area.

http://properties.theshoppingcentergroup.com/property/output/center/detail/id:3529/#docs

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Fenton is coming together 

""On Monday, Fenton partnering firms Hines, Columbia Development and USAA Real Estate announced plans for the The Canopy at Fenton, a 6-story mixed-use luxury apartment community featuring 357 apartments over 79,815 square feet of retail, restaurant and entertainment space.  That will make up part of the total 345,000 square feet of shops, restaurants and entertainment in the first phase of Fenton, which is situated along Cary Town Boulevard at Interstate 40. ""

I knew once Hines big time international developer out of Houston and USAA got involved this project will really get going.

they updated how they will phase it and you can see it on their webpage

http://fentonnc.com/

from Triangle Biz Journal today

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/07/07/luxury-apartments-added-to-fenton-in-cary.html

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

I can't remember where I read it, but I thought it was funny that some people within the Town suddenly came to a realization how terrible of an idea it is to have that hotel where it is since it's view is basically looking down on to the roof of the Wegmans.  Great planning guys, although I admit there's not a lot of options.  They could have stuck the hotel back a block though after another row of "street" retail.

Oh well.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

well the anchor of Wegmans is a huge draw as you know.  Plus big money USAA and Hines big developer are behind it now with the original smaller developer from SC.  It is a great project.  Plus preleased some of the restaurant and retail space already.  Here is video.

http://fentonnc.com/assets/Fenton.mp4

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

This looks beautiful.  I wonder if it will have any water features like the Midtown Exchange in Raleigh.

dont think any major ones.  Midtown Exchange has a low area and I think that is why they have the big water feature.  Wake County has a lot of these mixed used suburban town centers under way and planned.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

dont think any major ones.  Midtown Exchange has a low area and I think that is why they have the big water feature.  Wake County has a lot of these mixed used suburban town centers under way and planned.  

Thanks, KJ.  It didn't appear to.    I hope that the Midtown Exchange gets built.  It looks amazing.

• Like 2