Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

The report says 14,000 sq ft of retail. The way it's laid out (a narrow strip) and split up (leasing center in the middle) makes me think they're looking for a series of smaller retailers. The northern portion could be combined into a decent sized restaurant with cafe seating. Apparently, a CVS can be as small as 5,000 sq ft, so I don't think it's unreasonable (if improbable). 

• Like 1

I liked the old proposal better. Not enthusiastic about another plaza going in there - this particular area is a bit over-saturated with open space -plus it's kind of in an awkward position, I agree with dcluley98. I'd much rather prefer a proper street wall along the Rosalind bend to challenge the presence of the Skyhouse garage.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, metal93 said:

I liked the old proposal better. Not enthusiastic about another plaza going in there - this particular area is a bit over-saturated with open space -plus it's kind of in an awkward position, I agree with dcluley98. I'd much rather prefer a proper street wall along the Rosalind bend to challenge the presence of the Skyhouse garage.

I think that visually, with the massive south and north/west tower wings rising up in front of you as you approach the curve, that plaza won't make a lot of difference. That building should loom over Rosalind pretty convincingly.

• Like 2

Maybe the plaza is for the benefit of some of that retail ala outdoor seating.  I assume it will not be fenced off from the street.

That stretch looked like a full dump before Skyhouse.  Now it looks like a half dump.  After this, it will look nice; a very good transformation- and- it will fit nicely next to or caty corner it's neighbors along the back side of Robinson, those blue buildings with their parking decks.

Oh. I couldn't resist.  'Every rose has it's thorn."  In this case, Magnolia "Rose's" thorn may be the plaza.

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

I've set my watch to wait for the pushback from Lake Eola Heights ...

Everyone that owns or lives in Lake Eola Heights should be jumping with joy and lobbying for approval. This is certainly the type of development needed for this "sleepy" corridor and it will complement what eventually goes vertical on the Orlando Sentinel property and across the street all the way up to Colonial and beyond (Lake Ivanhoe). I hope they rezone the land west of Ruth Street, from Livingston up to Colonial/50 so that high rise buildings can be develop along the east side of Magnolia (across from OS).

I never understood why they blocked off Amelia St heading east...if they wanted to control traffic going into Eola Heights, then they should have placed this "barrier" at the intersection of Amelia and Ruth St and not Amelia/Magnolia.

• Like 1

Another odd thing about the re-design is that the original proposal said that they couldn't build taller than 75' on the eastern parcel because of current zoning restrictions.   The MPB report says they are trying to:

Request to abandon that portion of N Rosalind Ave. located between Ridgewood St. and E Livingston St. and to rezone the entire subject property, including the abandoned ROW, to PD to allow for a 13 story, 160 ft., 389 unit residential building.

They have to get approval to build that high on the parcel and are submitting plans that reflect a need for change in height and density restrictions for that area. 

7 hours ago, Closet_Urbanite said:

Everyone that owns or lives in Lake Eola Heights should be jumping with joy and lobbying for approval. This is certainly the type of development needed for this "sleepy" corridor and it will complement what eventually goes vertical on the Orlando Sentinel property and across the street all the way up to Colonial and beyond (Lake Ivanhoe). I hope they rezone the land west of Ruth Street, from Livingston up to Colonial/50 so that high rise buildings can be develop along the east side of Magnolia (across from OS).

I never understood why they blocked off Amelia St heading east...if they wanted to control traffic going into Eola Heights, then they should have placed this "barrier" at the intersection of Amelia and Ruth St and not Amelia/Magnolia.

I agree, the eastern "CBD boundary" north of Livingston should be rezoned along the edge formed by Ruth, Geneva, and Irma avenues. Though I'd keep it more low-mid rise, like 4-8 stories along the Rosalind/N Magnolia corridor so the transition to the bungalow neighborhoods isn't so harsh. The highrises and skyscrapers - I want that to happen along Hughey and Garland more than anywhere else - get nice lines of tall buildings on both sides of I-4 to really make a statement - especially as I-4's elevated portion is going to loom at least 10-15 feet higher than it currently is. Tremont tower and the new Magic complex is a good start, and I'm hoping to hear some more news about that Orlando Central development on Jefferson and Garland.

• Like 3

Those renderings look decent, but kind of odd in that they completely fabricate the surroundings. I don't know if they don't know what is really around there, are trying to predict the future, or are just blowing smoke up the collective public backside. (actually, I am pretty certain I probably do know)

Should be able to see a giant Garage and Subway across the street, Fifth/Third and the Vue in the background. Just don't look to the left or you'll see a crackhead ambling out of the Travelodge.

The view looking north would have the Courthouse in the left of the image. 

I like the scale and overall look, but don't like the new layout with the "courtyard" and that damn brown that keeps showing up again these days. Hmmmmm. 
And another thing, why would the end of the building facing downtown look like that at all?  That would be where prime balconies and/or full view windows would exist most likely in a real architectural design. 

Magnolia Corner Reality.jpg

PostScript. . . Didn't know Guess? jeans stores still existed. 

Edited by dcluley98

I have no problem with the overall design, and emphasis on Livingston/Robinson, that is the courthouse corner and has big transit connection and prime view to downtown. I just think there is a bit of embellishment and reaching in the artistic depictions. 

(Also, can we give Kim Jong-un the Geo coordinates to the Travelodge as long as he agrees it will be a tactical strike limited to that property with no nuke on it?)

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

I have no problem with the overall design, and emphasis on Livingston/Robinson, that is the courthouse corner and has big transit connection and prime view to downtown. I just think there is a bit of embellishment and reaching in the artistic depictions. 

(Also, can we give Kim Jong-un the Geo coordinates to the Travelodge as long as he agrees it will be a tactical strike limited to that property with no nuke on it?)

Oh no! I love the TraveLodge - I just wish they'd take it back to the original design without the '80's pseudo-bling.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Oh no! I love the TraveLodge - I just wish they'd take it back to the original design without the '80's pseudo-bling.

I'm glad you said that because I was going to ask why is there no love for the TravelLodge? 

I think it's good that downtown has a small, economical motel like that. I even stayed there once many many years ago.

Stayed at this place one night too, when a girl I was dating from Brevard County came over for a visit...

FLOrlandoDavisParkMotel.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I'm glad you said that because I was going to ask why is there no love for the TravelLodge? 

I think it's good that downtown has a small, economical motel like that. I even stayed there once many many years ago.

Stayed at this place one night too, when a girl I was dating from Brevard County came over for a visit...

FLOrlandoDavisParkMotel.jpg

Oh my.... sounds like the het version of, "One summer at band camp... *fans himself*."

The Davis Park definitely wins for architecture (at least originally- the '90's redo was meh.) I like what has become of it. It was purchased by Park Lake Presbyterian next door and turned into an arts village with studios for budding artists. Just another of the neat things our downtown churches are into.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Oh my.... sounds like the het version of, "One summer at band camp... *fans himself*."

The Davis Park definitely wins for architecture (at least originally- the '90's redo was meh.) I like what has become of it. It was purchased by Park Lake Presbyterian next door and turned into an arts village with studios for budding artists. Just another of the neat things our downtown churches are into.

Yeah, TMI I guess....   :unsure:

Apologies. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

On 8/12/2017 at 11:48 AM, spenser1058 said:

I've seen that.  Looks like Brady Bunch-ish design elements.  Colored wall panels?  Floor to ceiling glass?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Good description! (Thankfully, so far as I know, they didn't have a cheesy song tho...)

I think the stairwells are cool.  they have a central spine and the stair risers flare out from there to the left and right.  It's very retro; open design.

• Like 1