Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

There are a number of design enhancements that Banner has yet to meet that are required for the density bonus, including: a roof line that is sculpted to create an interesting form or enhance the downtown skyline, or alternatively a "green" roof; the primary building entrance must be a prominent feature; use of durable, high-quality materials appropriate for the climate; and placement of the parking garage on the site's interior, or lining it with habitable space along the street. 

The project also doesn't meet criteria of the Downtown Design Guidelines as of now, including: that a new building must be sited in a way that complements existing adjacent buildings; the height-and-mass transition from existing buildings to a new one should be gradual; and that high-density buildings next to residential neighborhoods must step down in height.

Currently, the transition on the building's east and northeast sides from 13 stories down to two- and three-story neighbors is too abrupt, and unacceptable to staff. 

Staff wrote that Baker Barrios' design at this point isn't distinctive or unique enough to warrant such a prime location. They called it "nothing more than a bigger, denser, more massive version of recent mid-rise sisters" like the 420 East apartments and Central Station on Orange.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jernigan said:

There are a number of design enhancements that Banner has yet to meet that are required for the density bonus, including: a roof line that is sculpted to create an interesting form or enhance the downtown skyline, or alternatively a "green" roof; the primary building entrance must be a prominent feature; use of durable, high-quality materials appropriate for the climate; and placement of the parking garage on the site's interior, or lining it with habitable space along the street. 

The project also doesn't meet criteria of the Downtown Design Guidelines as of now, including: that a new building must be sited in a way that complements existing adjacent buildings; the height-and-mass transition from existing buildings to a new one should be gradual; and that high-density buildings next to residential neighborhoods must step down in height.

Currently, the transition on the building's east and northeast sides from 13 stories down to two- and three-story neighbors is too abrupt, and unacceptable to staff. 

Staff wrote that Baker Barrios' design at this point isn't distinctive or unique enough to warrant such a prime location. They called it "nothing more than a bigger, denser, more massive version of recent mid-rise sisters" like the 420 East apartments and Central Station on Orange.

I think the City is partly wrong.  We're downtown.  So what about the abrupt transition from 13 stories down to 2 or 3; they've got an integrated parking deck to the east that's just a few stories tall.  101 Eola doesn't step down. 

• Like 1

On a positive note, the scale down requirement will likely eliminate the useless plaza because that space will be needed to "scale up" the building from the residential structures to the east.

I wish the design board had cared this much when 420 was under review, but then again, they werent contending with the residents of Lake Eola heights.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

On a positive note, the scale down requirement will likely eliminate the useless plaza because that space will be needed to "scale up" the building from the residential structures to the east.

I wish the design board had cared this much when 420 was under review, but then again, they werent contending with the residents of Lake Eola heights.

You nailed it. South Eola has long been mostly rentals (going back to when the retirement high rises were built and it was the gay cruising district every night.) Meanwhile, Eola Heights was one of the first downtown 'hoods to gentrify and solidified to owner-occupied once the stricter zoning requirements went into place in the late '80s.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I think the City is partly wrong.  We're downtown.  So what about the abrupt transition from 13 stories down to 2 or 3; they've got an integrated parking deck to the east that's just a few stories tall.  101 Eola doesn't step down. 

Yeah... I'd say they're fully wrong. Its a reasonable proposal as is. I personally don't mind the plaza... it can be possibly used for events, parts of it could be fenced off and used for outdoor seating for the businesses, it could become a mini-public park or a small makeshift outdoor venue, etc... I too am of the opinion this could end up killing the project

• Like 2

1 hour ago, popsiclebrandon said:

I really want to know if these are related. Please write your Orlando book already.

Thankfully, the only way they were related was that downtown was dead so land was cheap for the towers and the neighbors weren't the type to complain about cars circling the block for hours on end after midnight. When I lived at The Plaza (now Post Parkside) in the 80s, I used to have parties with binoculars to watch the goings on from my 5th floor perch.

• Like 4

If I were designing this project, I would put the density toward downtown with a significantly taller "Flatiron" type building on the corner facing downtown and plaza on the northwest corner to tie into the courthouse and Lymmo area, streetwall with retail along Rosalind curve, and parking garage on the southeast corner, entrance off of Livingston stepping up to the main building to appease the Eola Heights residents.

I am no architect or urban planner, however, I just play one on the Internet. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, alex said:

In this case, the step-back requirement is silly. If we're taking into account parking decks, churches, and law offices, then half of our current high-rises couldn't be built. The closest single-family homes are over a block away:

setback.thumb.JPG.0fb5e37872a9b40234e0472b7b2e827b.JPG

Yeah, looking at this overhead... I forgot the garages for Blue 1 & 2 were right there; I thought it was houses.  Therefore, I recant what I said, and fully agree with you that The City...was smoking something good when they made that decision...

24 minutes ago, RedStar25 said:

I say use that curve in the road to your advantage to create a unique building. The Townhomes and Incorporated parking garage can serve as the "step down".  

I'm thinking a taller, single tower with no perpendicular wings, that conforms to the sort of wavy curve in the road and comes right up next to it. Let any plazas, pool decks and garages be on the east side, adjacent to Livingston.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I'm thinking a taller, single tower with no perpendicular wings, that conforms to the sort of wavy curve in the road and comes right up next to it. Let any plazas, pool decks and garages be on the east side, adjacent to Livingston.

...maybe like that wavy shaped hotel proposal for Lake Nona by Architectonica?

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

...maybe like that wavy shaped hotel proposal for Lake Nona by Architectonica?

I was thinking of something more along the lines of The Waverly. The curves or waves on the Lake Nona design go horizontally across the width of the building, whereas, in order to conform to the curve in Rosalind Ave, the curve(s) would have to run vertically across the height.

Maybe something along the lines of this...

copan.jpg

• Like 1