Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

Board was soft on brick for sure and really soft on the south facade also. Basically, they said that the brick should be up to the old level consistent with the garage to make the elevations less bland but "at a minimum" would require at least the ground floor. Uh no, how about "at a minimum" you make them go back to the full six stories, board?

Also on the south facade: 

The south façade of the building is especially important because it terminates the long northward vista up Rosalind Avenue from the 408 overpass, similar to how the CNL II building terminates the vista for those traveling south on Orange Avenue through Downtown. The Rosalind & Livingston terminus vista needs to be as memorable and dramatic as the CNL II terminus.

Rosalind Vista Terminus – Staff and board members felt the Courtesy Review of the south façade treatment, which terminates the long vista to the north on Rosalind Avenue, needed additional detailing, glazing and the addition of a distinctive accent that would makes this façade a memorable terminus. What was proposed as a location for art in the Courtesy Review has been replaced with a strong architectural feature that rises above the roof line like a spire. The cubes of the spire will also be lit at night so that the new element will strongly hold the focus of the north bound Rosalind view. Skyline Architecture – At 13-stories this building will rise above the existing tree canopy and be highly visible from key points in Downtown Orlando including Lake Eola Park and other areas in all directions. During the Courtesy Review staff and board members thought additional attention needed to be paid to the skyline architecture. The applicant has continued to refine and enhance the skyline architecture and developed details and treatments that do make the building unique in the skyline.

So they slapped a couple-feet-tall corner of curtainwall and a needle that looks like a lightning rod on it, mashed up all of the exterior materials, and called it a day. The ARB seems to think this is acceptable and will be a "strong architectural feature" for some reason. Uh, no. Make them try again. That facade is totally inconsistent and not iconic at all. 

Don't know what I was expecting from BB and the city, but come on. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 1:11 PM, dcluley98 said:

There was a worker on site painting utility locations this afternoon. 

On their site?  They’ve been at it all week but on Robinson and Rosalind.  Figured it was for the Eola Park Centre building.  Surveyors out too today but again closer to Robinson.

F103B17D-FF06-447C-A872-52336001E9C4.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nothing new has been going on for weeks. I used to see surveyors and geotech trucks on site as I drive by everyday and there were dumpsters on site to clean up and they pulled all the landscaping. 

Now, there is no activity, the wedge area where there used to be a bunch of ridiculous succulent plants on the corner is now overgrown with unkempt grass, and nothing is afoot. 

I have no news, other than general observation of stagnation. 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Can confirm. I expect they may be going to demo existing slab and other building on the parcels first. Still don't know if they got approval to re-zone and close the road.  They may have gotten a partial permit for demo while they wait on the re-zoning and design/preconstruction to finish.  Makes sense so as to not delay the project any longer than need be if/when they get full approval/funding/preconstruction complete.  Tearing up the old slab and demoing the old existing buildings would be on the critical path before utilities/sitework could begin.  Of course, we will know for sure when we actually see a fence contractor on site. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I guess so FloridaBorn, I guess so.

You know what's really cool about this...is that this is one of those vista lots downtown, in that the building's construction will affect the vista of a street leading to it, namely, Rosalind northbound.  As you approach Robinson with 5th3rd on your right, and Vue on your left, it will be smack dab right in front of you... kind of like CNL I is when heading down Orange Ave.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

You know what's really cool about this...is that this is one of those vista lots downtown, in that the building's construction will affect the vista of a street leading to it, namely, Rosalind northbound.  As you approach Robinson with 5th3rd on your right, and Vue on your left, it will be smack dab right in front of you... kind of like CNL I is when heading down Orange Ave.

Right. That lot has been dead for so many years. Driving up Rosalind after the lake will be so much bettah. 

Combine it with new hotel across Livingston and it's almost a new district DT.  Court and Lake. 

We northerners have been waiting/hoping for this for a while. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Right. That lot has been dead for so many years. Driving up Rosalind after the lake will be so much bettah.  Combine it with new hotel acrosss Livingston and it's almost a new district DT. We northerners have been waiting/hoping for this for a while. 

is the hotel also a go?