Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

Bunglaower reports a 13-story multi-family residential tower is being proposed for 108 E. Livingston Street called Magnolia Rose. 

The proposed 320 unit development would also include space for six parcels of ground-level retail. The plan, submitted on 4/20, calls for the City to abandon a section of North Rosalind Avenue, which translates to approximately 77,982 SF of right-of-way, to host an adjoined five-story, 395-space parking garage.

http://bungalower.com/2017/04/25/developer-eyeing-livingston-wedge-potential-residential-tower/

• Like 3

Whenever I hear a new building is going to be built I always hope it's going to be at least 20 stories. Residential buildings tend to be much shorter than commercial and office buildings, so at 13 stories this will likely only be about 150 feet tall. A little bit disappointing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Whenever I hear a new building is going to be built I always hope it's going to be at least 20 stories. Residential buildings tend to be much shorter than commercial and office buildings, so at 13 stories this will likely only be about 150 feet tall. A little bit disappointing.

Not the ideal height, but if this is built, it will help transition between the traditional Eola Heights development and high rises of downtown. I can see Livingston really developing into a corridor of its own between here and UCF, there are 2 big gaps (south parcel of Central Station and the potentiality of something between Magnolia and Orange) that could really make this stretch very livable with an identity of its own.

I was actually hoping that little stretch of N Magnolia would remain, hate seeing seeing pieces of the street grid being eaten up into mega blocks. From what I'm seeing, looks like they want to demolish all the buildings between Magnolia and the parking garage. Not too excited for huge block-sized developments, but satisfied that "the wedge" might finally be built upon at least. I hope it's able to be taller though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, metal93 said:

I was actually hoping that little stretch of N Magnolia would remain, hate seeing seeing pieces of the street grid being eaten up into mega blocks. From what I'm seeing, looks like they want to demolish all the buildings between Magnolia and the parking garage. Not too excited for huge block-sized developments, but satisfied that "the wedge" might finally be built upon at least. I hope it's able to be taller though.

I think this may be one of the only spots that warrant the mega-block.  It is impossible to build a substantially sized building on that small wedge there.  That bit of Rosalind is also extremely awkward in its naming and location in relation to the main road.

• Like 1

First, I'm pleased that as a starter of a new thread, you gave it a solid title AND tagged it appropriately.  Good job.

My wife used to work in the Landmark buildings for several years (I actually did too for a few, brief months way back in the day) and that wedge is a miserable waste.  That stretch of Rosalind is handy on occasion, but mostly just turns into a dangerous off-ramp to a road that doesn't need one because there is a light one block away.  It's a pedestrian nightmare because anyone using that block is trying to hustle and isn't paying as much attention.

I also wish this was about a half dozen stories taller.

Do we know for sure that this takes out everything over to the Landmark garages?  NEVERMIND... I see it in the Bungalower article.

Edited by HankStrong
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

That stretch of Rosalind is handy on occasion, but mostly just turns into a dangerous off-ramp to a road that doesn't need one because there is a light one block away.  It's a pedestrian nightmare because anyone using that block is trying to hustle and isn't paying as much attention.

I agree with that.  I have almost been hit by idiot car drivers there who don't use their turn signals and try to speed down that little side road at about 50 MPH. Usually, it is the cars that are speeding and you can't tell if they are just going to continue around the curve or dart into the Rosalind/Livingston intersection.  They always seem to by in a hurry and accelerating into that side street. 

• Like 1

Good points, there is some speeding that occurs there. It's a handy cut through and while I prefer that it stays, I'd like to see it closed off to cars and become a pedestrian/bike path. If not they can at least propose such a path between their garage and the Landmark garage. Kind of like what was done between the Skyhouse and Avis garages nearby.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The backstory behind the wedge: once upon a time, the northbound one-way pair for FL527 with Orange Avenue was Magnolia. That all changed when plans for OSCAR were implemented during Mayor Bill's administration. The Southern Gateway was completed rerouting through traffic onto Rosalind, the Rosalind curve built to connect it to North Magnolia, Magnolia south of Livingston was cut off and the wedge created (Delaney's easy connection to Rosalind was also obliterated.)

Of course, OSCAR got sidelined (supposedly due to incline issues) and we got Lymmo instead.

And now, here we are.

I figure you would know and its been something I've wondered for a while.

What used to be on the wedge? The slab is pretty big but have no idea what building used to be there.

TBH, I don't remember it being anything significant in my lifetime and I've tried hard to recall. At one point, someone told me they thought it was the old Memorial High (first technical school and may have been the first junior high for OCPS) but that was torn down to build the Robert Meyer Motor Inn (later the Kahler Plaza and the Harley - we got to see Leona "Rhymes With Rich" Helmsley there one time - it's now the Metropolitan). A friend tried to see if he could figure it out from viewing microfiche at OPL but couldn't zoom in close enough. So, I'm still clueless.

Edited by spenser1058

16 hours ago, smileguy said:

Not the ideal height, but if this is built, it will help transition between the traditional Eola Heights development and high rises of downtown. I can see Livingston really developing into a corridor of its own between here and UCF, there are 2 big gaps (south parcel of Central Station and the potentiality of something between Magnolia and Orange) that could really make this stretch very livable with an identity of its own.

I don't think 13 stories is bad for that lot.  It will step down from the Courthouse and Skyhouse west of Magnolia into the lower rise buildings to the east including Landmark buildings and then into the old residential Lake Eola Heights neighborhood. As a reference, the Fifth Third Bank Lake Eola Centre is only 15 stories tall.  As for Livingston area, that could really be developed with the big grass field by Lynx central and the other lot across from BOA. That lot is such an eyesore and I wish they would do something with it. It is a shame because there is a beautiful old Oak tree on that lot surrounded by overgrown dead grass, years worth of trash, and a falling down fence and dilapidated sign: 

20170426_124120_resized.jpg

They could have made something really nice there around that tree across from the courthouse instead of it being an eyesore for years. I really hope something gets done on that lot sooner rather than later!

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 4

Could the city ask for a larger setback of the building, so a protected bike lane can be constructed on that portion of the street? These are the kinds of situations we should be taking advantage of to better our bicycle-oriented infrastructure.  I wouldn't be able to be at any of the City Council meetings, so if someone on here could go and propose this that would be awesome.

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

TBH, I don't remember it being anything significant in my lifetime and I've tried hard to recall. At one point, someone told me they thought it was the old Memorial High (first technical school and may have been the first junior high for OCPS) but that was torn down to build the Robert Meyer Motor Inn (later the Kahler Plaza and the Harley - we got to see Leona "Rhymes With Rich" Helmsley there one time - it's now the Metropolitan). A friend tried to see if he could figure it out from viewing microfiche at OPL but couldn't zoom in close enough. So, I'm still clueless.

It was an old, red brick school-type building about 3 stories tall. White columns, etc. Typical architecture from that era... 1920's - 1930's. It was still there up until sometime in 1981 or thereabouts. Was boarded up and had become pretty dilapidated by the time they demo'd it. Walked around it up close one time. Wish I'd taken a picture.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Historic Orlando had that wedge as a school that was abandoned and burned down in the early 80's.  I think 81.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JFW657 said:

It was an old, red brick school-type building about 3 stories tall. White columns, etc. Typical architecture from that era... 1920's - 1930's. It was still there up until sometime in 1981 or thereabouts. Was boarded up and had become pretty dilapidated by the time they demo'd it. Walked around it up close one time. Wish I'd taken a picture.

you know, this is what really annoys me about Orlando.  It's legacy is that of vacant lots.  There is a history.  But it's like the Lost City of Atlantis...erased from the face of the Earth.  They tear down these old buildings and NOTHING ever gets built for decades in their place.  And newer generations of residents may never know of it's design or building history.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

you know, this is what really annoys me about Orlando.  It's legacy is that of vacant lots.  There is a history.  But it's like the Lost City of Atlantis...erased from the face of the Earth.  They tear down these old buildings and NOTHING ever gets built for decades in their place.  And newer generations of residents may never know of it's design or building history.

That's why Orlando Remembered, which originally set up displays in some of the downtown buildings and also has a website http://orlandoremembered.org/ , is so important.

Orlando, of course, is in the same boat with other fast-growing cities, especially in the Sunbelt. I have a book, "Whatever Happened To Atlanta?" that bemoans the same problem and has before and after photos of various blocks around the city.

Edited by spenser1058

21 hours ago, WAJAS98 said:

Could the city ask for a larger setback of the building, so a protected bike lane can be constructed on that portion of the street? These are the kinds of situations we should be taking advantage of to better our bicycle-oriented infrastructure.  I wouldn't be able to be at any of the City Council meetings, so if someone on here could go and propose this that would be awesome.

I know I'm always on the outside opinion here, but what good does half a block of protected bike lane do us?  There's already a bike lane there.  I'm much more in favor of the streetwall.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

I know I'm always on the outside opinion here, but what good does half a block of protected bike lane do us?  There's already a bike lane there.  I'm much more in favor of the streetwall.

As far as safety & comfort goes, there is a huge difference between the two. That said, there is the Urban Trail planned, and it would run north-south a couple blocks over ... so I think the demand for a dedicated bike road may be lower.

Disclaimer: I bought a bike after moving to Winter Garden so prepare for me to become an insufferable bike advocate. :P

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

I ride bikes around town a ton (about 40-50 miles a week). One block of protected bike lane is stupid, and would do more harm than good probably by confusing the cyclist on how to get in and out of it around the intersections.  I am all for protected bike lanes, but that needs to be its own project and go on for miles, not a block.  The bike lane there is pretty good, it is wide and they recently painted it green.  

That said, securing the right of way for a future protected bike lane project that extends further along Magnolia would be a priority before they build to the street.  You can't go back later on and get the ROW if they build out to the sidewalk currently.  Plan ahead. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

And yet they call a 1978 building a historical landmark (Bob Carr) when 99% of the original building (that was actually historical) was demolished during that 1978 renovation/construction and only three walls remain, two of which are brick walls with the windows filled in. The facade yes is worthy of saving but it could have moved or used elsewhere like the brise soleil.  

• Like 1