Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

1 hour ago, codypet said:

I've heard North Quarter referred to as uptown a lot.  I just assumed halfway was midtown.

Lol... i'm not ever calling it "North Quarter". I'm calling it Uptown. I'm not acknowledging a developer trying to rename an area to make it sound more "trendy", as if they have the power to wipe out what the area has always been called and is currently called the by the locals that live there.

10 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I won't even call it uptown.

To me it's just the north end of downtown.

Takes a few more words, but I'm a stickler for accuracy.

JFW is pretty much spot on in terms of historical accuracy. Growing up, I never heard it referred to as much of anything other than “Orange Avenue, north of Colonial”.

When Florida National Bank moved up there in the ‘60’s, the commercials for it simply noted it was “away from the downtown traffic”.

OTOH, Thornton Park wasn’t a thing (except on the platting maps) until Craig Ustler and Phil Rampy came along in the ‘80’s, and SoDo seems to have stuck for most everything on S Orange between Gore and Michigan St., even though it only applies to one development (and I guess the Main St. District there now).

Maybe we old folks will have to update after all.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

JFW is pretty much spot on in terms of historical accuracy. Growing up, I never heard it referred to as much of anything other than “Orange Avenue, north of Colonial”.

When Florida National Bank moved up there in the ‘60’s, the commercials for it simply noted it was “away from the downtown traffic”.

OTOH, Thornton Park wasn’t a thing (except on the platting maps) until Craig Ustler and Phil Rampy came along in the ‘80’s, and SoDo seems to have stuck for most everything on S Orange between Gore and Michigan St., even though it only applies to one development (and I guess the Main St. District there now).

Maybe we old folks will have to update after all.

I'll start using those cutsie, fashionable names about the same time I start calling the Bee Line the "Beach Line". <_< 

Which will be never!!! :angry: 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I'm surprised nobody has ever posted this here.

By the original UP'er (or Urban Planetress maybe??)....

What I always found funny about the song was that Britain doesn’t have “downtowns ” - it’s either the “high street” or “city centre”. Great song, though.

• Thanks 1

Honestly, I would consider anything between the Courthouse and 408 west of Rosalind and east of I-4 "Downtown" and then there would be South Eola, which is close, but more residential. 

After that, you start getting into different subdistricts, such as SoDo, Thornton Park, Creative Village, Uptown/NorthQuarter, Sports District, Milk District, Mills 50, etc. 

If you have to give it a name, it's not Downtown, obviously. 

(there is no Mid-town, and there shouldn't be, hopefully) 

Edited by dcluley98

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

What I always found funny about the song was that Britain doesn’t have “downtowns ” - it’s either the “high street” or “city centre”. Great song, though.

According to Wikipedia, the song was written by a guy named Tony Hatch and inspired by his first visit to NYC.

"In the autumn of 1964 Hatch had made his first visit to New York City, spending three days there in search of material from music publishers for the artists he was producing. He recalled: "I was staying at a hotel on Central Park and I wandered down to Broadway and to Times Square and, naively, I thought I was downtown. Forgetting that in New York especially, downtown is a lot further downtown getting on towards Battery Park. I loved the whole atmosphere there and the [music] came to me very, very quickly". He was standing on the corner of 48th Street waiting for the traffic lights to change, looking towards Times Square when "the melody first came to me, just as the neon signs went on."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Honestly, I would consider anything between the Courthouse and 408 west of Rosalind "Downtown" and then there would be South Eola, which is close, but more residential. 

After that, you start getting into different subdistricts, such as SoDo, Thornton Park, Creative Village, Uptown/NorthQuarter, Sports District, Milk District, Mills 50, etc. 

If you have to give it a name, it's not Downtown, obviously. 

(there is no Mid-town, and there shouldn't be, hopefully) 

When I lived in Thornton Park I just told people I lived downtown. The way I see it, places like Thornton Park, South Eola, Eola Heights, Creative Village, "Uptown", etc, etc, are all part of downtown. I don't see those neighborhoods and downtown as being separate entities. Downtown encompasses those areas and neighborhoods.

• Like 2

I disagree entirely. They are all close to downtown, but not downtown, IMO. And should stay that way, IMO. 

The urban environment should remain designed for maximum density and commercial activity within walking distance of these rather distinct neighborhoods/areas to preserve their historic and unique nature, and not blend in or call the whole thing downtown. 

They are vastly different. 

10 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I disagree entirely. They are all close to downtown, but not downtown, IMO. And should stay that way, IMO. 

The urban environment should remain designed for maximum density and commercial activity within walking distance of these rather distinct neighborhoods/areas to preserve their historic and unique nature, and not blend in or call the whole thing downtown. 

They are vastly different. 

It's all a matter of opinion. There is no hard and fast rule or set boundary like a city limit or county line. 

The City of Orlando Economic Development Department's Downtown Restaurant Area Map pretty much mirrors my concept of what constitutes downtown Orlando.

Downtown_Restaurant_Area_Map.jpg

But to each his own, as they say.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, JFW657 said:

It's all a matter of opinion. There is no hard and fast rule or set boundary like a city limit or county line. 

The City of Orlando Economic Development Department's Downtown Restaurant Area Map pretty much mirrors my concept of what constitutes downtown Orlando.

Downtown_Restaurant_Area_Map.jpg

But to each his own, as they say.

While I’m mostly OK with those boundaries, extending “downtown “ east to Ferncreek is quite a stretch.

I’m guessing the “Downtown Restaurant Area” is the zone they’re using so small mom and pops can go full liquor.

Since the owners of Maxine’s on Shine were a big part of that move (not to mention Andy’s favorite, Scott Joseph), it makes much more sense, They got themselves included by moving the goalposts.

In no reality would I consider “downtown” going east of Mills and I personally prefer Summerlin as the cutoff.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

While I’m mostly OK with those boundaries, extending “downtown “ east to Ferncreek is quite a stretch.

I’m guessing the “Downtown Restaurant Area” is the zone they’re using so small mom and pops can go full liquor.

Since the owners of Maxine’s on Shine were a big part of that move (not to mention Andy’s favorite, Scott Joseph), it makes much more sense, They got themselves included by moving the goalposts.

In no reality would I consider “downtown” going east of Mills and I personally prefer Summerlin as the cutoff.

OK, no problem. We can agree that it stops a couple of blocks west of where it was depicted on the downtown restaurant map.

But I think we're beginning to border on the edge of hair splitting here, though. Because really, in terms of the greater Orlando metro area or even just the City of Orlando itself, what's a couple of blocks?

Close enough for rock 'n roll as the kids say. 

The point remains, that according to the general consensus at least, downtown is not confined to a few square blocks immediately north of the 408. It stretches out enough to encompass the "downtown neighborhoods" including Thornton Park, Eola South, Eola Heights, Creative Village and whichever others I might not have mentioned.

Here's the Community Redevelopment Agency's boundary map:

dtocramap.jpg

Looks like it jogs a bit beyond Summerlin for a just a little bit then jogs back.

And even this map is purpose specific. To me, whatever "downtown" is, can vary from person to person depending on who you're talking to. If someone wants to refer to Mills and Colonial during a casual conversation as "downtown", I'm not going to correct them.

I actually think I heard something similar once from someone, possibly during a local TV news report.

Otoh, if someone wants to see it as just a few square blocks, that's OK too.

No big deal afaic.

• Like 2

The comparisons i’ve seen (I posted them a while back from Ennis Davis, iirc) suggest Orlando’s downtown area is relatively large compared with our peer cities.

Truth be told, I want all our close-in ‘hoods like TP, Lawsona and Lake Davis/Cherokee to consider themselves part of downtown. If we ever get going on retail, I want them shopping with us instead of going the other way.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

It's all relative; like people referring to Disney or most of unincorporated Orange as in Orlando. I personally prefer more precise terms to distinguish areas if i'm talking to other locals, i.e The CBD,  South Eola or Lake Eola Heights. I'd say this area was considered part of the Central Business District since the Courtyard and BOA building  are important business buildings, but I propose we start calling it LYNX Landing after LYNX Central lol.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2019 at 6:20 PM, spenser1058 said:

The comparisons i’ve seen (I posted them a while back from Ennis Davis, iirc) suggest Orlando’s downtown area is relatively large compared with our peer cities.

Truth be told, I want all our close-in ‘hoods like TP, Lawsona and Lake Davis/Cherokee to consider themselves part of downtown. If we ever get going on retail, I want them shopping with us instead of going the other way.

I thought the close-in neighborhoods like TP, Lawsona, Lake Davis, Lake Cherokee etc already consider themselves part of downtown? Lake Davis' monument literally states "A Downtown Neighborhood" on it lol:

LD.thumb.jpg.c0f4b3da81e42fbfd222d6cc7c0c0bf1.jpg

IMO zip codes also help to clarify which area you live in. You might live in an annexed part of the city or even close enough to be considered part of the neighborhood, but when buying/renting real estate, zip codes are also a huge determining factor for some people.

32801: Downtown

32804: College Park

32789: Winter Park

• Like 1