Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

YES Cody!  Bike lane on Orange ends at Colonial by Steelhouse and then it is a crapshoot with parallel parking that you can sometimes get in as a bike line, but then there is a car parked further down, and you have to get in the lane and people are always super pissed at you and won't let you back in.  Really need a bike lane SB.  I guess they figure the OUT extension is going to fix that, but for now it is pretty dangerous!

The Daily City has a better article up with more images: http://www.thedailycity.com/2017/04/plans-for-13-story-downtown-tower.html

The Developer is listed as "Banner Real Estate Group": http://www.bannerrealestategroup.com/apartment-development

Some examples of their Apartment Complexes in other states: http://www.bannerapartments.com/our-communities

Yeah, to be clear, I bike a decent amount and am all for more biker-amenities, I just like to be practical.  OUT should theoretically fix the missing southbound bike lane.  What I've been doing without it is take Highland --> Livingston --> Magnolia and use the Lymmo lanes.

3 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

That said, securing the right of way for a future protected bike lane project that extends further along Magnolia would be a priority before they build to the street.  You can't go back later on and get the ROW if they build out to the sidewalk currently.  Plan ahead. 

I'd actually mostly agree. I guess I am simply hoping for a little before we get it all, but the ROW definitely needs to be acquired for the future.  They did the same thing for the pedestrian bridge near colonial for Steel House (which is made of wood btw).

Edited by WAJAS98

49 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

The Daily City has a better article up with more images: http://www.thedailycity.com/2017/04/plans-for-13-story-downtown-tower.html

The Developer is listed as "Banner Real Estate Group": http://www.bannerrealestategroup.com/apartment-development

Some examples of their Apartment Complexes in other states: http://www.bannerapartments.com/our-communities

Nice! I can live with the abandonment of the Rosalind ROW, but now my main criticism is about the parking garage - they should add an extra floor of garage and build out that first floor of the garage as additional retail space. Hope this project improves rather than worsens the garage-dominated streetscape of Ridgewood Street.

They stated in the article that the garage has to stay as currently planned for two reasons:

1. Current zoning on the eastern parcels limits the height allowed: (The project will not be proposing a garage taller than maximum currently permitting within the Office Medium Future Land Use, 75’)
  2. Bottom floor will be utilized for street level parking for the ground floor retail space.

It will not be bad because the garage will be abutting existing garages for Landmark Center.

They show the Pool Deck and Amenity/Clubhouse on level 7 on top of the garage. That would be interesting. There would be sight lines over the existing garages for Eola Park Centre, and Landmark buildings to Lake Eola showing the fountain as well as the buildings across the lake with prominent views of the Waverly, Citi Tower, and Paramount from both the Pool Deck and the courtyard apartments.  There will be sight lines straight down Rosalind from the deck and some of the southwest facing apartments showing some of the park and downtown buildings such as the Gold Dome church, library, and Modera Central.

Pretty cool looking!

Magnolia Rose Sitelines.png

• Like 3

Landmark is indeed 6 stories. Not sure what the heights will be yet. Will still be able to see the lake in between Eola Park Centre and Landmark from the deck and will be able to see over the landmark from some courtyard apartments. 

Edited by dcluley98

I don't know how full it looks on top level during business hours, but I know the landmark garages get up to the top deck, but not full on the top deck.  I doubt that surface lot on the park side is needed at all, but I am sure some bigwigs have spaces there and they don't want to waste the prime real estate there for future prospective development. Remember, that building and lot were for sale. The main draw there is the lakefront footprint. It was on one of our threads here before, but I forget which one where we were all speculating how awesome it would be for the city to buy it and make it a prime museum or something.  

The surface lot is full most of the times for tenants of the building. The garage is not full ever. Mainly because the building has empty floors. 

There is a slight incline heading north but a six story building is almost the same size of a seven story apt/garage. 

Took a look and the surface parking is guest parking and bank parking as well as some unloading spots and Highwoods spots.   Then the surface lot on the NE side of robinson/Rosalind is employee parking with several dedicated spots for certain companies like Centurylink.   The garage is badged and for employees.

My guess is that by keeping the surface lot in tact for guests, they don't have to staff the garage.   I can see why that makes sense for Highwoods if they don't have a way to monetize the space around their building.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 4:01 PM, JFW657 said:

It was an old, red brick school-type building about 3 stories tall. White columns, etc. Typical architecture from that era... 1920's - 1930's. It was still there up until sometime in 1981 or thereabouts. Was boarded up and had become pretty dilapidated by the time they demo'd it. Walked around it up close one time. Wish I'd taken a picture.

That makes sense - I've always wondered where the elementary school serving North Eola would have been (filling the gap between the one on the site of the old OUC building and Hillcrest Elementary in Colonialtown - which burned down in the early 60's and is now working on its 4th incarnation.) Assuming, of course, it was a public school - it also says why someone might have thought it was Memorial (although I'm guessing Memorial would have been larger.)

Edited by spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

That makes sense - I've always wondered where the elementary school serving North Eola would have been (filling the gap between the one on the site of the old OUC building and Hillcrest Elementary in Colonialtown - which burned down in the early 60's and is now working on its 4th incarnation.) Assuming, of course, it was a public school - it also says why someone might have thought it was Memorial (although I'm guessing Memorial would have been larger.)

It might have been Memorial. It was a pretty good sized building as I recall. Looked like a typical 1920's - 30's era high school.

• Like 1

Orlando Remembered notes Memorial (Junior) High "on Lake Eola" was sold in 1961. That seems to indicate it was on the Metropolitan site. So whatever was on the wedge must have been something else. I'm off Monday and will go over to OPL and see if I can find anything else in the Sentinel microfiche.

• Like 1

Found another aerial pic at Orlando Remembered that was numbered with an accompanying legend. Unfortunately, the building in question was not included, but the photo is from a slightly better angle for getting a view of the facade.

It's a zoomed in screenshot of a zoomed in screenshot, so the resolution is not very good, but you can get an idea of what was there anyway.

rosandliv.png

• Like 1

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1988-04-06/business/0030150033_1_daspin-boston-celtics-full-tuxedo

Daspin and Freitag also made an investment of their own that turned out well. They acquired the old Orange County vocational school building in downtown Orlando for $800,000 in 1982 and sold it to a group of investors in 1984 for $1.4 million. Despite the profitability of the deal, Daspin says he is better at earning money than investing it. With about nine out of 10 real estate limited partnerships having gone sour, Daspin said, ''If I had just kept the money and paid the taxes, I would have been a lot richer than I am.''

The deed is Instrument #19811729037 in the Official Records.

The lot was sold by the 1983 purchaser for $4,900,000 in 1989.  The sellers later foreclosed on the mortgage, and held it until 2010 when they sold it to the investment group that developed SkyHouse.  Our office (Property Appraiser) has fairly comprehensive microfiche, if any of you ever want us to research something.

• Like 1