Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

veryamusing said:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1988-04-06/business/0030150033_1_daspin-boston-celtics-full-tuxedo

Daspin and Freitag also made an investment of their own that turned out well. They acquired the old Orange County vocational school building in downtown Orlando for $800,000 in 1982 and sold it to a group of investors in 1984 for $1.4 million. Despite the profitability of the deal, Daspin says he is better at earning money than investing it. With about nine out of 10 real estate limited partnerships having gone sour, Daspin said, ''If I had just kept the money and paid the taxes, I would have been a lot richer than I am.''

The deed is Instrument #19811729037 in the Official Records.

The lot was sold by the 1983 purchaser for $4,900,000 in 1989.  The sellers later foreclosed on the mortgage, and held it until 2010 when they sold it to the investment group that developed SkyHouse.  Our office (Property Appraiser) has fairly comprehensive microfiche, if any of you ever want us to research something.

Too bad there are no known pictures of it.

Edited by JFW657

This is just guesswork, but I wonder if, sometime after Memorial became a junior high, the wedge structure became the technical school. I had thought Mid-Florida Tech was the replacement but don't know that for sure. Given the time you thought the wedge building burned, it fits with the timeline of when it would have been replaced by Orlando Vo-Tech on the other side of I4. meanwhile, the search continues...

I have to scour the Historic Orlando facebook about it, but it was a school building that burned down in 1981 or 1982.  There was a photo from the Sentinel of it on fire with the trucks and everything in front of it.  This was shared on that page.   The was the only photo I remember seeing of the place.   

Memorial was on the Metropolitan site, so this is indeed a different school.

As I was sitting at the light at Summerlin and Anderson yesterday, I noticed how much the bottom windows in the pic JFW posted looked like the old Cherokee Junior High. It was quite usual for OCPS to use the same building type for multiple schools, so I wonder if our mystery wedge building is from that time. The balcony-looking things in the pic seem unusual, though.

21 hours ago, codypet said:

I have to scour the Historic Orlando facebook about it, but it was a school building that burned down in 1981 or 1982.  There was a photo from the Sentinel of it on fire with the trucks and everything in front of it.  This was shared on that page.   The was the only photo I remember seeing of the place.   

Memorial was on the Metropolitan site, so this is indeed a different school.

I thought the pic with the kids in front might have been the wedge building, but it was actually Memorial.

Edited by JFW657

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The new design has a ton of retail (light green), which I don't remember from the last version. Could be a great location for cafe seating that doesn't feel squeezed onto a sidewalk. It's across from a parking garage, which could be better, but at least there's some retail at the bottom of the garage. I could see SkyHouse and this building kicking off a revitalization of Magnolia Ave.

Plopped the plan on an aerial to get a better idea of the location:

magnolia.thumb.png.f786e83c71d30f5edeaa9cfa2bbe13f8.png

Graphics from report:

layout.jpg.9a4ede35c568cf9979d96a4bb9b3f5d0.jpg

plaza.jpg.145476348dea2ef7890415d12109c784.jpg

west.jpg.540dbf2cdc77c26392f5f82683c2b58f.jpg

level1.thumb.jpg.7dcd3df3aab68e3b921ec635fa3d0587.jpg

level8-11.thumb.jpg.c8fde77f9907f72fdafe9fc5dc7fc54b.jpg

• Like 3