Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

On 2/7/2019 at 12:07 PM, spenser1058 said:

That reminds me of Brian’s Restaurant at Virginia and Orange (oh, those cinnamon buns!)

One of the booths had a plaque indicating that Dan Quayle had sat there.

It may be the only time in history that anyone cared where Dan Quayle sat.

No word if he had a potatoe that day...

Winter Park Diner on Fairbanks has a full door-sized autographed poster of Razor Ramon / Scott Hall.  It's one of my favorite ridiculous things ever anywhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Winter Park Diner on Fairbanks has a full door-sized autographed poster of Razor Ramon / Scott Hall.  It's one of my favorite ridiculous things ever anywhere.

There used to be a professional wrestler who lived on Pine St between Hyer and Mills. I forget his name, but he was supposedly pretty well known. Saw him and his wife pushing a baby stroller up and down Pine St a couple of times when I lived over there in the 80's/90's. Really big, buff dude with a mullet. IOW, typical 80's pro wrestler.

14 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

There used to be a professional wrestler who lived on Pine St between Hyer and Mills. I forget his name, but he was supposedly pretty well known. Saw him and his wife pushing a baby stroller up and down Pine St a couple of times when I lived over there in the 80's/90's. Really big, buff dude with a mullet. IOW, typical 80's pro wrestler.

Darn, that must have been the Home of the Stars in there - the Bethea-Ebsen School of Dance was also along there - 901 E. Pine St.(home of Buddy Ebsen, aka Jed Clampett, Barnaby Jones, the original Tin Man until he almost died in the costume).

Orlando - Where the Stars Come Out!

Edited by spenser1058

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

Darn, that must have been the Home of the Stars in there - the Bethea-Ebsen School of Dance was also along there (home of Buddy Ebsen, aka Jed Clampett, Barnaby Jones, the original Tin Man until he almost died in the costume).

Orlando - Where the Stars Come Out!

Yeah, a good friend of mine lived in the house right across Hyer from the Ebsen house (on the corner of Pine St) from around 1990 to around 2005 or so. When Phil Rampy (?) was doing the renovation on it and they had all the metal lap siding removed, you could see the imprint in the wood on the corner of the building, where the old original letters once were that read EBSEN SCHOOL OF DANCE. I took a couple of pics of it and have them on my laptop. I'll try to remember to post them here sometime.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:24 PM, AndyPok1 said:

I had a fun night of drinking at the bar next to him about 20 years ago.  When I say fun, I mean it was crazy to watch.  It wasn't actually fun at all.

It was amazing to see how TINY a 6'3" tall guy who was about 225lbs (lean and mean at the time) was next to him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's great news, but it hasn't actually broken ground. I just walked through the site today and nothing has changed. They don't even have a fence up yet. I expect to see them start fencing off, closing the Rosalind alley, and doing utility relocations and demo of the two existing buildings on site first, before any ground breaking or vertical construction can begin. There is a ton of underground to do and site prep due to existing road, buildings, and slabs on site from old torn/burnt down structures. 

Should see some activity soon, however! 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

If we all go walk around to see what’s happening over there, it will look like it’s a thing and become a self-fulfilling prophecy, right?

Actually, I’m pretty stoked about how this whole area will end up looking.

Maybe if we all meet over there with shovels, sledge hammers and picks and get the work started ourselves, it might speed things up a little?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

If we all go walk around to see what’s happening over there, it will look like it’s a thing and become a self-fulfilling prophecy, right?

Actually, I’m pretty stoked about how this whole area will end up looking.

With all the potential development at this corner and area, it would be great to finally convert Rosalind back to a two-way street. For being a major downtown street, it’s pretty hostile to pedestrians  in its current form and will never live up to its potential.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, prahaboheme said:

With all the potential development at this corner and area, it would be great to finally convert Rosalind back to a two-way street. For being a major downtown street, it’s pretty hostile to pedestrians  in its current form and will never live up to its potential.

That would be weird for me because I've only known it to be a one-way Street much the same for Orange avenue if that ever happened

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JFW657 said:

It's gonna be a damned shame to lose that historic foundation and concrete slab.

Just more of our local history and memories being bulldozed into oblivion for the sake of some flashy new development.

Sigh.... :(

:rolleyes:

...lot's of bad things (and good I'm sure late at night) probably happened on that slab over the years.  If these "slabs" could talk...

• Like 1