Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

18 hours ago, codypet said:

Isn't that slab a remainder from the old school that sat on the site and burned down in the 80s?

Yes, it burned. Any thought of preserving it died that night. I was living out of state at the time but, from what I can gather, there wasn’t much that was salvageable after it was done.

Thankfully, we’ve saved OHS, Marks St., Princeton, Grand Avenue and Cherokee (to name just a few, not to mention other gems out of town like Lakeview).

All of these buildings are either still in use as schools or are serving other community functions. They show that old buildings can be useful long after they’re considered archaic and give a texture to the urban fabric that Baker Barrios and their visors can’t even fathom.

There’s a pride in going to school in a historic building like Howard Middle that leads kids to feel like they’re part of the community and that their elders actually care.

Compare that to schools like Colonial, Evans and Oak Ridge, which were falling apart less than 20 years after they were built and made the students feel like they were just tossed into dumps. (I know, because I went to Princeton and also suffered the indignity that was Evans High for two years).

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, codypet said:

Delaney School I feel is the best example of that kind of preservation.  That said did they decide what was to happen to Kaley School?

The last I heard it was in limbo because the bureaucracy deemed it too small to be a school any longer but Chairman Bill Sublette was hesitant to let it go. We’ll see what happens now that Teresa Jacobs is ruling the roost.

You’re absolutely right about the Beardall Center at the old Delaney School. It has great bones and obviously provided some inspiration to the architects at the new complex just across Orange Avenue.Kudos to them for recognizing a sense of place on that, btw.

• Like 1

They haven't started site development yet. Could be for another project. Hard to say. Those are beams that would be used for floor/decking. There is not much vertical close by the site that would use those other than the Self Storage. May be for that project, but may be just early storage for Radius. The Self Storage site is HUGE so I would think that they would store their materials and equipment on site. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Ummm, have they started site development? This seems a little ahead of the game. Is this maybe off site storage for some other project?

Isn't that low profile barrier for temporary shut down of a lane Per FDOT standard plans 102-120?

https://fdotwww.blob.core.windows.net/sitefinity/docs/default-source/design/standardplans/2020/idx/102-120.pdf?sfvrsn=10e0909d_2

This might be starting if they're starting to shut lanes down.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You're right Cody. Thanks for the info!  I thought it was pre-cast beams for decking.  So question is, what is it for? Shutting down access to the Rosalind Through street or other barriers necessary for the Utility excavations they have all around the site? 

They are going to have to block of lanes when they start digging for what was just painted on some of the streets and sidewalks probably. I got my hopes all up that it was for the vertical construction. :(

Edited by dcluley98

13 minutes ago, codypet said:

Isn't that low profile barrier for temporary shut down of a lane Per FDOT standard plans 102-120?

ding, ding ding… great answer. You move to head of the class young man.

Although this is preliminary work it appears to indicate they are moving forward. This is a good sign.

5 hours ago, gibby said:

Another 320 units.  This is great!  Combined with 520 Church Street, that's 684 units under construction, excluding the Creative Village stuff and Novell-Yard-Fairchild Chapel developments, and the smaller townhome projects.

Plus we will finally get that terminating vista when driving up Rosalind. Were these the "final" renderings approved by the ARB?

On 5/16/2018 at 8:50 AM, alex said:

radius1.thumb.PNG.60abf40b244dcc5fd180212b77dd9ede.PNG

On 5/15/2018 at 1:21 PM, bqknight said:

Updated renderings in the May 17 ARB. 

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/05/ARB2017-00022report.pdf

In reading the report, it appears they are working closely with the ARB to get this done. Seems to be legit. They mention there will likely be new renderings prior to board meeting. Could be pushing to get this done sooner rather than later. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 1.21.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 1.20.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 1.20.34 PM.png

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1