Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

2 hours ago, Xander said:

I'd rather have an empty lot than exactly nothing original whatsoever. 

It's not that bad, IMO.

I actually think it looks pretty good from what I saw of the renderings. 

Stumpiness notwithstanding.

2 hours ago, Xander said:

Eh, you have a point. It's not a dinky complex, either. Just wish it had more architectural flair.

There are bigger cities than Orlando that get worse looking building designs than that. Not every building can be a bobby-dazzler.

8 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Scale of 1 to 10, how much does you all really like this project? 

I laugh at developers selling views of Lake Eola

I agree with gibby 6.5-7. Nothing creative or unique about it. Even the terminating vista is a little disappointing. Still better than a vacant lot though.

What's wrong with Lake Eola views? It's not totally off base to upsell the view esp since you're getting front row views of fireworks, parades, events etc. And once people find out you live downtown, one of the first things they ask is how close are you to Lake Eola.

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

It's not that bad, IMO.

I actually think it looks pretty good from what I saw of the renderings. 

Stumpiness notwithstanding.

There are bigger cities than Orlando that get worse looking building designs than that. Not every building can be a bobby-dazzler.

Downtown Orlando's default seems to be basic Bobby-barrios. Bobby-dazzlers seem more like outliers and not the norm, but feel free to refresh my memory if I'm wrong.

20 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

What's wrong with Lake Eola views? It's not totally off base to upsell the view esp since you're getting front row views of fireworks, parades, events etc. And once people find out you live downtown, one of the first things they ask is how close are you to Lake Eola.

Nothing is wrong with views at all. Just trying to figure out how to do you sell views of Lake Eola to the bottom 7 floors or so when they wont be able to see Lake Eola from where they are?

These developers come and build these short squab15 story and under buildings and use Lake Eola as a selling point when half the building wont see Lake Eola.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Downtown Orlando's default seems to be basic Bobby-barrios. Bobby-dazzlers seem more like outliers and not the norm, but feel free to refresh my memory if I'm wrong.

As of yet, downtown Orlando has no truly notable buildings at all. 

Why? IMO, because we're not Miami or Atlanta or Chicago or New York.

Nobody is going to pay the kind of prices for office space or for a condo in downtown Orlando that they pay on Brickell Avenue or somewhere comparable, and that is directly reflected in the quality of the building designs we get here. The truly great buildings are designed by high priced, world class, world renowned architects. Baker Barrios is kind of a mid range, ho-hum, any developer can afford them level firm.

It just is what it is. We can't expected Miami architecture on Orlando condo buildings in which the individual units sell for 1/10th of and less, what the units sell for in the top markets. 

Radius will be home to middle income white collar workers earning $50,000 per year or maybe a bit more. The dazzling wow factor buildings in top tier cities are home to international multi millionaires and billionaires.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well biking home from work yesterday they have officially closed the parking area and I'm sorry to say they closed off the bike lane on Livingston which made riding down that way interesting as the Livingston/Rosalind light pretty much guarantees a drag race between the bikes and the cars.  Either way its plainly clear they're moving forward.

• Like 1

Neighboring office buildings have received a notice about Radius Apartment construction and the associated closure of Rosalind Ave (the small cut through) and that westbound traffic on Ridgewood will be able to turn right where they currently can not.  

So that’s what all the road work is for now - to redesign the intersection to allow turns.

• Thanks 3

12 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Nothing is wrong with views at all. Just trying to figure out how to do you sell views of Lake Eola to the bottom 7 floors or so when they wont be able to see Lake Eola from where they are?

These developers come and build these short squab15 story and under buildings and use Lake Eola as a selling point when half the building wont see Lake Eola.

...maybe they really mean Lake Eola "Park"...

22 minutes ago, Xander said:

It'd be nice if, you know, ONE of them was. That's what i'm getting at. 

Yeah, I get that. But Orlando just isn't a top tier city, so we don't command top tier prices, which means the potential for top tier profits is not there, hence developers who build projects here can't afford top tier architects who design top tier buildings.

It all revolves around the almighty $ and how many of them can be made here as compared to other cities.

At least that's what I think.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Yeah, I get that. But Orlando just isn't a top tier city, so we don't command top tier prices, which means the potential for top tier profits is not there, hence developers who build projects here can't afford top tier architects who design top tier buildings.

It all revolves around the almighty $ and how many of them can be made here as compared to other cities.

At least that's what I think.

Agree.  It's all return on investment.  Land  owners who want to sell, can't hold out decades because of height, or architecture plans don't meet their vision.  If the desired profit is there, it's a sell.   Developers also aren't going to build something they can't sell in Orlando.

Orlando is already criticized for being too expensive for renters.  More height and high-end architecture would only jack up the prices more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Neighboring office buildings have received a notice about Radius Apartment construction and the associated closure of Rosalind Ave (the small cut through) and that westbound traffic on Ridgewood will be able to turn right where they currently can not.  

So that’s what all the road work is for now - to redesign the intersection to allow turns.

Actually no. Cody was talking about Livingston. They took those concrete barrier walls and closed off the Parking lane and the Bike lane on the south side of Livingston, presumably for site parking and material laydown/staging of materials. I thought it was an odd choice for staging location when I drove by this morning, given that they could have used the existing Rosalind Ave or the parking lot of that boarded up law office building they are planning to demo. 

The Ridgewood cut-through has already been completed. It was done last week.

30 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

...maybe they really mean Lake Eola "Park"...

On page 2 of the thread I posted an analysis of the vantage point toward the lake from the Amenities Deck. That deck will be over 6 floors of parking, and you will likely be able to see the Lake from that location above the adjacent 3 story garage to the south. I posted a photo from the top of that garage where you could see the lake. Three stories higher should be able to see water and the fountain no problem. As for the people living in the lower floors, they aren't going to see the lake from their bedroom windows, obviously, but that is to be expected. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/26/2019 at 9:38 AM, Jernigan said:

This is what it looks like now heading west on Ridgewood 

D1E4668D-52E7-4796-8411-08BBA7B05C46.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Transformed mid-town.  Especially with Zoi and X coming.

yeah.....but how certain are those other two projects?  

I will say though, that I didn't expect Radius to break ground as quickly as it did or ever based on track records of projects in Orlando historically...  and here we are today...

How about the "missing link." 

We could call it the Links District. 

Yo' Dawg, we heard you liked links. So we linked Lynx, with Creative Village, Uptown, Downtown, and Livingston with a couple of high profile links. 

0ca36be035e2c8c79d6af4543c7a6990.jpg

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1