Jump to content

smileguy

Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Recommended Posts


45 minutes ago, codypet said:

I've heard North Quarter referred to as uptown a lot.  I just assumed halfway was midtown.

Sings, “Meet Me Halfway”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, codypet said:

I've heard North Quarter referred to as uptown a lot.  I just assumed halfway was midtown.

Lol... i'm not ever calling it "North Quarter". I'm calling it Uptown. I'm not acknowledging a developer trying to rename an area to make it sound more "trendy", as if they have the power to wipe out what the area has always been called and is currently called the by the locals that live there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't even call it uptown.

To me it's just the north end of downtown.

Takes a few more words, but I'm a stickler for accuracy.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I won't even call it uptown.

To me it's just the north end of downtown.

Takes a few more words, but I'm a stickler for accuracy.

JFW is pretty much spot on in terms of historical accuracy. Growing up, I never heard it referred to as much of anything other than “Orange Avenue, north of Colonial”.

When Florida National Bank moved up there in the ‘60’s, the commercials for it simply noted it was “away from the downtown traffic”.

OTOH, Thornton Park wasn’t a thing (except on the platting maps) until Craig Ustler and Phil Rampy came along in the ‘80’s, and SoDo seems to have stuck for most everything on S Orange between Gore and Michigan St., even though it only applies to one development (and I guess the Main St. District there now).

Maybe we old folks will have to update after all.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

JFW is pretty much spot on in terms of historical accuracy. Growing up, I never heard it referred to as much of anything other than “Orange Avenue, north of Colonial”.

When Florida National Bank moved up there in the ‘60’s, the commercials for it simply noted it was “away from the downtown traffic”.

OTOH, Thornton Park wasn’t a thing (except on the platting maps) until Craig Ustler and Phil Rampy came along in the ‘80’s, and SoDo seems to have stuck for most everything on S Orange between Gore and Michigan St., even though it only applies to one development (and I guess the Main St. District there now).

Maybe we old folks will have to update after all.

I'll start using those cutsie, fashionable names about the same time I start calling the Bee Line the "Beach Line". <_< 

Which will be never!!! :angry: 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This just in: 
1088344596_Oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg.834f2be4215a58a1200a1bf806c7e9ef.jpg
(hehehe, to be fair, the fact that I knew this meme makes me no spring chicken myself. Ya'll can call 'em whateva ya feels like!)

Edited by dcluley98
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

This just in: 
1088344596_Oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg.834f2be4215a58a1200a1bf806c7e9ef.jpg
(hehehe, to be fair, the fact that I knew this meme makes me no spring chicken myself. Ya'll can call 'em whateva ya feels like!)

Hey, I resemble that remark!!!! 

One of my favorite memes, actually.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. I've never heard it referred to as anything other than downtown north or north end of downtown. Because there was no reason to go up there except to that one bank behind the courtyard. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I'm surprised nobody has ever posted this here.

By the original UP'er (or Urban Planetress maybe??)....

 

What I always found funny about the song was that Britain doesn’t have “downtowns ” - it’s either the “high street” or “city centre”. Great song, though.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I would consider anything between the Courthouse and 408 west of Rosalind and east of I-4 "Downtown" and then there would be South Eola, which is close, but more residential. 

After that, you start getting into different subdistricts, such as SoDo, Thornton Park, Creative Village, Uptown/NorthQuarter, Sports District, Milk District, Mills 50, etc. 

If you have to give it a name, it's not Downtown, obviously. 

(there is no Mid-town, and there shouldn't be, hopefully) 

Edited by dcluley98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

What I always found funny about the song was that Britain doesn’t have “downtowns ” - it’s either the “high street” or “city centre”. Great song, though.

According to Wikipedia, the song was written by a guy named Tony Hatch and inspired by his first visit to NYC.

"In the autumn of 1964 Hatch had made his first visit to New York City, spending three days there in search of material from music publishers for the artists he was producing. He recalled: "I was staying at a hotel on Central Park and I wandered down to Broadway and to Times Square and, naively, I thought I was downtown. Forgetting that in New York especially, downtown is a lot further downtown getting on towards Battery Park. I loved the whole atmosphere there and the [music] came to me very, very quickly". He was standing on the corner of 48th Street waiting for the traffic lights to change, looking towards Times Square when "the melody first came to me, just as the neon signs went on."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Honestly, I would consider anything between the Courthouse and 408 west of Rosalind "Downtown" and then there would be South Eola, which is close, but more residential. 

After that, you start getting into different subdistricts, such as SoDo, Thornton Park, Creative Village, Uptown/NorthQuarter, Sports District, Milk District, Mills 50, etc. 

If you have to give it a name, it's not Downtown, obviously. 

(there is no Mid-town, and there shouldn't be, hopefully) 

When I lived in Thornton Park I just told people I lived downtown. The way I see it, places like Thornton Park, South Eola, Eola Heights, Creative Village, "Uptown", etc, etc, are all part of downtown. I don't see those neighborhoods and downtown as being separate entities. Downtown encompasses those areas and neighborhoods.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree entirely. They are all close to downtown, but not downtown, IMO. And should stay that way, IMO. 

The urban environment should remain designed for maximum density and commercial activity within walking distance of these rather distinct neighborhoods/areas to preserve their historic and unique nature, and not blend in or call the whole thing downtown. 

They are vastly different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I disagree entirely. They are all close to downtown, but not downtown, IMO. And should stay that way, IMO. 

The urban environment should remain designed for maximum density and commercial activity within walking distance of these rather distinct neighborhoods/areas to preserve their historic and unique nature, and not blend in or call the whole thing downtown. 

They are vastly different. 

It's all a matter of opinion. There is no hard and fast rule or set boundary like a city limit or county line. 

The City of Orlando Economic Development Department's Downtown Restaurant Area Map pretty much mirrors my concept of what constitutes downtown Orlando.

Downtown_Restaurant_Area_Map.jpg

But to each his own, as they say.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JFW657 said:

It's all a matter of opinion. There is no hard and fast rule or set boundary like a city limit or county line. 

The City of Orlando Economic Development Department's Downtown Restaurant Area Map pretty much mirrors my concept of what constitutes downtown Orlando.

Downtown_Restaurant_Area_Map.jpg

But to each his own, as they say.

While I’m mostly OK with those boundaries, extending “downtown “ east to Ferncreek is quite a stretch.

I’m guessing the “Downtown Restaurant Area” is the zone they’re using so small mom and pops can go full liquor.

Since the owners of Maxine’s on Shine were a big part of that move (not to mention Andy’s favorite, Scott Joseph), it makes much more sense, They got themselves included by moving the goalposts.

In no reality would I consider “downtown” going east of Mills and I personally prefer Summerlin as the cutoff.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WAJAS98 said:

I think some of you guys are confusing the CBD with ‘downtown.’ There’s a lot of neighborhoods in downtown, which includes the CBD.

Not me!!!! ;) :) 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

While I’m mostly OK with those boundaries, extending “downtown “ east to Ferncreek is quite a stretch.

I’m guessing the “Downtown Restaurant Area” is the zone they’re using so small mom and pops can go full liquor.

Since the owners of Maxine’s on Shine were a big part of that move (not to mention Andy’s favorite, Scott Joseph), it makes much more sense, They got themselves included by moving the goalposts.

In no reality would I consider “downtown” going east of Mills and I personally prefer Summerlin as the cutoff.

OK, no problem. We can agree that it stops a couple of blocks west of where it was depicted on the downtown restaurant map.

But I think we're beginning to border on the edge of hair splitting here, though. Because really, in terms of the greater Orlando metro area or even just the City of Orlando itself, what's a couple of blocks?

Close enough for rock 'n roll as the kids say. 

The point remains, that according to the general consensus at least, downtown is not confined to a few square blocks immediately north of the 408. It stretches out enough to encompass the "downtown neighborhoods" including Thornton Park, Eola South, Eola Heights, Creative Village and whichever others I might not have mentioned.

Here's the Community Redevelopment Agency's boundary map:

dtocramap.jpg

Looks like it jogs a bit beyond Summerlin for a just a little bit then jogs back.

And even this map is purpose specific. To me, whatever "downtown" is, can vary from person to person depending on who you're talking to. If someone wants to refer to Mills and Colonial during a casual conversation as "downtown", I'm not going to correct them.

I actually think I heard something similar once from someone, possibly during a local TV news report.

Otoh, if someone wants to see it as just a few square blocks, that's OK too.

No big deal afaic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The comparisons i’ve seen (I posted them a while back from Ennis Davis, iirc) suggest Orlando’s downtown area is relatively large compared with our peer cities.

Truth be told, I want all our close-in ‘hoods like TP, Lawsona and Lake Davis/Cherokee to consider themselves part of downtown. If we ever get going on retail, I want them shopping with us instead of going the other way.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all relative; like people referring to Disney or most of unincorporated Orange as in Orlando. I personally prefer more precise terms to distinguish areas if i'm talking to other locals, i.e The CBD,  South Eola or Lake Eola Heights. I'd say this area was considered part of the Central Business District since the Courtyard and BOA building  are important business buildings, but I propose we start calling it LYNX Landing after LYNX Central lol.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with the CBD distinction.  Downtown to me is a large-ish area that is comprised of but not limited to... CBD, Courthouse/Sentinel-area, Uptown/North Quarter, Thornton, Lake Eola Heights, South Eola, Parramore, Creative Village.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2019 at 6:20 PM, spenser1058 said:

The comparisons i’ve seen (I posted them a while back from Ennis Davis, iirc) suggest Orlando’s downtown area is relatively large compared with our peer cities.

Truth be told, I want all our close-in ‘hoods like TP, Lawsona and Lake Davis/Cherokee to consider themselves part of downtown. If we ever get going on retail, I want them shopping with us instead of going the other way.

I thought the close-in neighborhoods like TP, Lawsona, Lake Davis, Lake Cherokee etc already consider themselves part of downtown? Lake Davis' monument literally states "A Downtown Neighborhood" on it lol:

LD.thumb.jpg.c0f4b3da81e42fbfd222d6cc7c0c0bf1.jpg

 

 

IMO zip codes also help to clarify which area you live in. You might live in an annexed part of the city or even close enough to be considered part of the neighborhood, but when buying/renting real estate, zip codes are also a huge determining factor for some people.

32801: Downtown

32804: College Park

32789: Winter Park

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member

  • Similar Content

    • By BeagleAccountant
      The city council retreat is underway. Ryan Murphy of The Pilot is live tweeting from it. There is a lot of development discussion and focus in here to unpack. I am pretty new here but one development I may have missed or have never seen mentioned is a senior living development next to the fire station.
      Here is the first post of the thread;
      And here's the post referencing the senior living development;
       
    • By 757Duke
      Dollar Tree is adding 600 jobs and expanding their headquarters. They said they will be building the "tallest building" in Chesapeake. Pictures in the article look to be a town center style environment within the Grennbrier area.
      http://pilotonline.com/business/dollar-tree-to-expand-in-chesapeake-adding-jobs-and-tallest/article_d733d431-6501-588b-8f59-9dc80e87154c.html
    • By 23320
      Armada Hoffler proposing land swap for City Hall relocation to Town Center
    • By pgsinger
      I wanted to post a thread on this to see if anyone else was interested, curious, or knowledgeable about prefab homes.  My girlfriend and I are considering either a major addition to our home or demoing the structure and building a custom home.  I understood prefab to be better built due to the ability to build in a controlled environment, but also cheaper due to the economies of scale achieved by building similar homes in one location.  This would be especially true for the modular homes.  However, I am finding many of the prefab homes are priced in the $350-$500/sqft. range, excluding land costs!  One company (Turkel Design) gave me a quote for $143 for site work costs, which would include running the plumbing, electrical, installing the cabinetry, etc.   The materials (drywall, cabinets, counters, appliances, etc.) come as part of another $150,000 line item for the budget.  The big issue I am having is comparing apples-to-apples.  How do I confirm what a comparable house would cost to build on site?
      Does anyone have an personal experience with these types of homes or projects?
    • By DPK
      The old Ramada Inn turned failed Duke Condo project turned failed boutique hotel by Graduate Hotels, is in the process of being demolished.  It appears everyone has given up at this point on trying to save the bones of this building and it's going to be razed for a 342 unit apartment complex and parking deck.  The design is being handled by CLINE Design on behalf of Alliance Residential out of Charlotte.
      News blurb courtesy of the Herald Sun:
      http://www.heraldsun.com/news/business/article160321189.html
      Map of the site via Google Maps:
      https://goo.gl/Z2481p
      General site plan which definitely maximizes every inch of their site as opposed to the giant sprawling parking lot currently there:

      Link to the current plans pulled from Durham's Land Development Office:
      https://www.scribd.com/document/368876990/600-Willard-Apartments
      Found this YouTube video of someone that ventured inside before demolition started:
       
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.