Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:15 PM, FLClarkKent said:

I know the Publix on Central isn't that far via car, but I certainly wouldn't want to lug a lot of groceries acround the lake on foot.

helped my ex with his groceries from there to Delany Park by foot... fun :tw_love:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/14/2019 at 4:15 PM, FLClarkKent said:

I know the Publix on Central isn't that far via car, but I certainly wouldn't want to lug a lot of groceries acround the lake on foot.

Cutting through the lake, Google has it as a 9 minute .5 mile walk, which is basically same as the 10 minute, .6 mile walk to 55 West from Publix that I did weekly for 5 years.  With two of the reusable grocery bags, you can carry $50 of groceries pretty easily, which for me at least, was plenty to go once or twice a week.

Of course, I'm thinking as a single urban guy.  I'm not cooking every day, let alone for an entire family.

• Like 1

People who go a little heavy on grocery shopping tend to use their own mini carts to lug everything back (I intend to do the same one of these days). Even though I live about 0.3 miles away from Publix, I mostly end up driving depending on what I'm wearing, the weather, time of day etc. It will take longer to drive to Publix than it does to cut through Lake Eola park on foot. I hate shopping so I'd rather stockpile at the Walmart neighborhood market in SODO during off-peak hours and call it a month.

When I lived close enough to walk to a grocery store, I would go to Aldi/Discount Club Stores to stock up on non-perishables like canned goods/sauce/spaghetti/rice/frozen veggies etc. and just buy them in bulk one time for about 2 months supply, and then walk to the grocery store for fresh stuff like produce/meat/cheese/deli items. Worked great. It ends up being cheaper, and you can make more frequent trips and get the fresh stuff without carrying so much. Plus you tend to eat healthier and walk more. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

When I lived close enough to walk to a grocery store, I would go to Aldi/Discount Club Stores to stock up on non-perishables like canned goods/sauce/spaghetti/rice/frozen veggies etc. and just buy them in bulk one time for about 2 months supply, and then walk to the grocery store for fresh stuff like produce/meat/cheese/deli items. Worked great. It ends up being cheaper, and you can make more frequent trips and get the fresh stuff without carrying so much. Plus you tend to eat healthier and walk more. 

We're functioning right now like that.  Bj's for bulk non-perishables.  Winn-Dixie (maybe staring to move to Lucky's soon) for perishables.  

43 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Which finally bites the dust first: Winn-Dixie or Sears? And will anyone miss them when what’s left is finally gone?

I will always miss old Sears and Kmart and will be angry about how they were ultimately killed (at this point they're dead and their zombie bodies are being dragged in the street in the name of real estate investment).  Winn-Dixie, while a strong attempt at fixing things, it still comes up short in a lot of places to other grocers.  People I talk to about it are pleasantly surprised about its improvement, but "its still Winn-Dixie" is a common refrain.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, codypet said:

I will always miss old Sears and Kmart and will be angry about how they were ultimately killed (at this point they're dead and their zombie bodies are being dragged in the street in the name of real estate investment).  Winn-Dixie, while a strong attempt at fixing things, it still comes up short in a lot of places to other grocers.  People I talk to about it are pleasantly surprised about its improvement, but "its still Winn-Dixie" is a common refrain.  

There’s a bit of an irony with Sears in Orlando. The downtown store (where the Copper Whopper is now) had been there for decades and was of course a local fixture.

Sears execs in each area were very powerful in the ‘60’s and decided how to divvy up their capital budgets.

In Jacksonville, for example, the budget was concentrated on one new store for the region located downtown. It had multiple stories and even had an upscale dining room (at a Sears!), the Jean Ribault Room. When I first saw the store in 1974, I was floored. “This is a SEARS?”

That reaction was because Central Florida’s Sears exec spread the budget among several smaller stores. It made sense because in the early ‘60’s, thanks to NASA, Brevard was growing a lot faster than Orange. As a result, the stores went where the growth was.

The irony was that, at that time, Montgomery Ward decided to take on Sears in Florida for the first time. The flagship Monkey Ward for Florida was on West Colonial Drive and that store put Sears’ new E Colonial store (Fashion Square was still 10 years away) to shame. They also opened a much smaller MW at Seminole Plaza in Casselberry.

Ward’s was of course a poor second to Sears nationwide and, since Sears had a 50-year or more head start in Orlando, the new MW, as huge and nice as it was, never caught on. It also ran into white flight issues  after the civil rights laws were passed in the early ‘60’s.

Nevertheless, I am pleased to note my sister was one of the earliest graduates of the Wendy Ward charm school at the West Colonial store and her future husband later worked in the lawn mower department there during high school.

Today, of course, the East Colonial Sears is no more and the West Colonial Monkey Ward is the OCSO Operations Center.

Edited by spenser1058

26 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

There’s a bit of an irony with Sears in Orlando. The downtown store (where the Copper Whopper is now) had been there for decades and was of course a local fixture.

Sears execs in each area were very powerful in the ‘60’s and decided how to divvy up their capital budgets.

In Jacksonville, for example, the budget was concentrated on one new store for the region located downtown. It had multiple stories and even had an upscale dining room (at a Sears!), the Jean Ribault Room. When I first saw the store in 1974, I was floored. “This is a SEARS?”

That reaction was because Central Florida’s Sears exec spread the budget among several smaller stores. It made sense because in the early ‘60’s, thanks to NASA, Brevard was growing a lot faster than Orange. As a result, the stores went where the growth was.

The irony was that, at that time, Montgomery Ward decided to take on Sears in Florida for the first time. The flagship Monkey Ward for Florida was on West Colonial Drive and that store put Sears’ new E Colonial store (Fashion Square was still 10 years away) to shame. They also opened a much smaller MW at Seminole Plaza in Casselberry.

Ward’s was of course a poor second to Sears nationwide and, since Sears had a 50-year or more head start in Orlando, the new MW, as huge and nice as it was, never caught on. It also ran into white flight issues  after the civil rights laws were passed in the early ‘60’s.

Nevertheless, I am pleased to note my sister was one of the earliest graduates of the Wendy Ward charm school at the West Colonial store and her future husband later worked in the lawn mower department there during high school.

Today, of course, the East Colonial Sears is no more and the West Colonial Monkey Ward is the OCSO Operations Center.

One of the things that helped do in Monty Ward, was their reticence to locate their stores in malls. With possibly a few exceptions (Altamonte Springs), they were all stand alone stores.

My mom worked at this MW in Cocoa for many years...

monkeywardcocoa.jpg

Started out part time in the snack bar while my dad was in Bangkok, pulling a year's duty for Uncle Sam, then became Dept Mgr of candy & cosmetics, then finally, moved to the back office.

She and some of the other Dept Mgrs she worked with occasionally had to drive over here to attend meetings at the W Colonial store.

I worked at the Cocoa store in the Garden Center for a year myself in '78 - '79. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

One of the things that helped do in Monty Ward, was their reticence to locate their stores in malls. With possibly a few exceptions (Altamonte Springs), they were all stand alone stores.

My mom worked at this MW in Cocoa for many years...

monkeywardcocoa.jpg

Started out part time in the snack bar while my dad was in Bangkok, pulling a year's duty for Uncle Sam, then became Dept Mgr of candy & cosmetics, then finally, moved to the back office.

She and some of the other Dept Mgrs she worked with occasionally had to drive over here to attend meetings at the W Colonial store.

I worked at the Cocoa store in the Garden Center for a year myself in '78 - '79. 

I don’t know if it passed or it was a local thing or what.

The three Jacksonville stores were in malls (unlike Sears, which only had one downtown store until 1975). Tampa had mall stores (most notably, Tampa Bay Center, across from the stadium).

The Seminole Plaza store moved to Interstate Mall shortly after Altamonte Mall opened. Then they reversed course and went free-standing on OBT when Florida Mall was screaming for tenants in the ‘80’s.

The West Colonial store was supposed to anchor a mall (there were also thoughts of enclosing Parkwood Plaza) but again the local development community freaked after the equal housing laws passed and growth quickly went north to Seminole County instead (a process the newly completed I4 aided) and east to Rio Pinar.

The history of west Orlando changed almost overnight for all the wrong reasons.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Um, they posted pictures that are a week+ old.  I'm sure a lot has been done in a week, but that's not like a project that has fallen off the radar.

I didn't say it'd "fallen off the radar", just wondering if anybody had a new pic or two, due to how frequently pics had been being posted. 

Not much has changed. They had a bunch of prefab steel for the Cast-In-Place garage. They are basically just putting steel rebar in place and forming the pillars/ramp for the Garage and stairwells right now. They did also have a large mound of fill dirt brought on site to grade it to level for the rest of the building site. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1