Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

18 hours ago, ChiDev said:

Actually its due to the Transfer Slab topping off the Garage, transitioning to the actual Amenity Level on Floor 7.

ApplicationFrameHost_2020-04-23_14-27-22.thumb.jpg.cadd0cea893faef4d9a379c18fffbd7e.jpgApplicationFrameHost_2020-04-23_14-25-51.thumb.jpg.a135cfac494dac9de236b7ee699cc3fd.jpg

I think I finally know what seems off about this project to me - it's the Skyhouse garage. It's at a weird angle compared to everything else and gives Radius an awkward triangle courtyard that feels confined. Anyone here good at photoshop and can take out the garage?

Edited by Jerry95
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

The Skyhouse garage has always bothered me, and the orientation of the entire development.  Skyhouse essentially turned it's back to a major thoroughfare and put its very ugly garage facade to the street wall.  

It needs a big 'ol mural!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

The Skyhouse garage has always bothered me, and the orientation of the entire development.  Skyhouse essentially turned it's back to a major thoroughfare and put its very ugly garage facade to the street wall.  

They should have made the garage a floor higher and put retail down at the bottom.  At the time it was built there was little to face on Rosalind.  Courthouse and that ugly gray garage were already on their way to making an ugly streetwall.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, codypet said:

They should have made the garage a floor higher and put retail down at the bottom.  At the time it was built there was little to face on Rosalind.  Courthouse and that ugly gray garage were already on their way to making an ugly streetwall.

It certainly wont make for an attractive view for those residents of Radius facing west on the lower floors.

35 minutes ago, codypet said:

The courthouse is ugly - really?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, codypet said:

What was the reasoning behind the placement of Skyhouse's parking garage? It would've made more sense for them to incorporate the garage into the ground floor of the building - it seems very inconvenient for residents to trudge back and forth between the garage and the main building especially without a skywalk during inclement weather.

The Subway is kind of a stand-alone building and I personally would have preferred if the garage was replaced with similar low-rise retail. If they wanted to take it a step further they could've used a faux stamped-concrete historic facade or something to give the streetwall a retro vibe.

6 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

What was the reasoning behind the placement of Skyhouse's parking garage? It would've made more sense for them to incorporate the garage into the ground floor of the building - it seems very inconvenient for residents to trudge back and forth between the garage and the main building especially without a skywalk during inclement weather.

The Subway is kind of a stand-alone building and I personally would have preferred if the garage was replaced with similar low-rise retail. If they wanted to take it a step further they could've used a faux stamped-concrete historic facade or something to give the streetwall a retro vibe.

I don’t disagree but wasn’t the point to build the same building with as little modification as possible all across the South?

18 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

It certainly wont make for an attractive view for those residents of Radius facing west on the lower floors.

You have to start somewhere.

When Sky House was built, the neighbors along Rosalind/Magnolia were: to the south another parking garage, to the north the backside of the courthouse (which all together is an attractive building); to the  east a concrete slab fronting a parking garage, and to the north east a rundown roach trap (Travel Lodge).  So at the time it made sense for Sky House to put its backside to the street. 

Now  let's hope  someone follows Radius' lead and builds something nice on the block to the south.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, codypet said:

The very north end of the garage has ground floor retail. I haven't been inside, but maybe there'd be a way to convert those faux storefront windows into micro retail units at some point?   While there aren't active uses, from the pedestrian level, this doesn't bother me near as much as the retail in the VUE that has become law offices. The  dimensional windows and art installation at least provide something to look at an interact with as you go by instead of a blank glass wall.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, smileguy said:

The very north end of the garage has ground floor retail. I haven't been inside, but maybe there'd be a way to convert those faux storefront windows into micro retail units at some point?   While there aren't active uses, from the pedestrian level, this doesn't bother me near as much as the retail in the VUE that has become law offices. The  dimensional windows and art installation at least provide something to look at an interact with as you go by instead of a blank glass wall.

I agree.  You can tell that the City at least tried to get the Skyhouse developer to activate the Rosalind portion of the building at street level and it looks like the Developer just did the bare minimum to skate by.  Luckily, it did not turn out too bad but it could have been better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smileguy said:

IIRC there is no room for retail in that corner which is why they used faux storefront windows to mask the garage... I believe the ramp incline is located directly behind that wall.