Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

I'm very interested to see where they price these. On one hand, some of the units will have arguably one of the best views in Downtown (overlooking Lake Eola, with South Eola in the distance). On the other hand, the area is a bit less developed than the core CBD or South Eola. 

1 hour ago, bqknight said:

I'm very interested to see where they price these. On one hand, some of the units will have arguably one of the best views in Downtown (overlooking Lake Eola, with South Eola in the distance). On the other hand, the area is a bit less developed than the core CBD or South Eola. 

Ask ^ for pricing. 

13 hours ago, bqknight said:

I would assume around the same amount that Skyhouse charges? Maybe a bit more because it's newer.

13 hours ago, bqknight said:

IMO, the Waverly (in "the tube") has some of the best views of Lake Eola and the skyline. I don't think Lake Eola is that attractive unless you are directly on the shores of Eola. The smaller size of the lake makes me think of a giant retention pond when viewing it from afar (which it is).

I'm a full believer in the Livingston as Major Thoroughfare concept.  Similarly I expect the Radius corner of downtown to fill in a bit better, hopefully with an express grocery, as creative village fills out and becomes fully realized.  Crossing all fingers and toes that central station downtown will eventually mean a one pass ticket to Miami.  There is a lot of potential for that portion of downtown, I am glad Zoi never panned out and that Society is stalled because I hope for more ground level activation in the future.  rant over.

1 hour ago, ChiDev said:

I'm a full believer in the Livingston as Major Thoroughfare concept.  Similarly I expect the Radius corner of downtown to fill in a bit better, hopefully with an express grocery, as creative village fills out and becomes fully realized.  Crossing all fingers and toes that central station downtown will eventually mean a one pass ticket to Miami.  There is a lot of potential for that portion of downtown, I am glad Zoi never panned out and that Society is stalled because I hope for more ground level activation in the future.  rant over.

By one-pass you don’t necessarily mean one-seat, right? 

On 10/20/2020 at 10:51 AM, ChiDev said:

There is a lot of potential for that portion of downtown, I am glad Zoi never panned out and that Society is stalled because I hope for more ground level activation in the future.  rant over.

I don't disagree, but what type of activation would you be looking for that these didn't provide?

Any time you have tons of podium you tend to lose street activation.  I would look for something more like Radius itself, where the structure is more wrapped around/exists next to/on top of the parking deck.  Each of those other projects were slated to have a bit of ground floor retail with a ton of parking directly above it.  All of the retail at radius will have units above it, which to me grants a much more neighborhood feel & accessibility than the parking podium cruise ships as zoi and society were planned.  Cruise ships are exactly what we call them in Chicago - tons of primarily MF buildings with a pinch of ground floor retail, topped by 4-5 stories of parking, topped with a complete array of amenities.  They were designed so that tenants never have to leave the building (for gym, dog run, etc), and so the several floors of parking seem to effectively cut them off from the rest of the active city the same way a cruise ship at sea would.  This is what I am referring to - Urban isolation via parking podium means that tenants transit from apt to street level less often, so much so it begins to feel like a world apart.  Some people enjoy this, I however believe living downtown should feel like - well... living downtown.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 10:51 AM, ChiDev said:

Same here!!!! 

I hope it's dead, dead, dead.

On 10/21/2020 at 12:51 PM, ChiDev said:

Any time you have tons of podium you tend to lose street activation.  I would look for something more like Radius itself, where the structure is more wrapped around/exists next to/on top of the parking deck.  Each of those other projects were slated to have a bit of ground floor retail with a ton of parking directly above it.  All of the retail at radius will have units above it, which to me grants a much more neighborhood feel & accessibility than the parking podium cruise ships as zoi and society were planned.  Cruise ships are exactly what we call them in Chicago - tons of primarily MF buildings with a pinch of ground floor retail, topped by 4-5 stories of parking, topped with a complete array of amenities.  They were designed so that tenants never have to leave the building (for gym, dog run, etc), and so the several floors of parking seem to effectively cut them off from the rest of the active city the same way a cruise ship at sea would.  This is what I am referring to - Urban isolation via parking podium means that tenants transit from apt to street level less often, so much so it begins to feel like a world apart.  Some people enjoy this, I however believe living downtown should feel like - well... living downtown.

This is interesting.  I've never heard of this term.  I somewhat get it, having someone on a 2nd floor balcony you can wave at feels more active than someone on a 6th floor.  But at the same time don't get it.  If someone wants to use the apartment gym, it doesn't matter if its on the 6th floor or 22nd, they aren't leaving the building.  And if they want to go get food, they're either taking the elevator down from 2 or down from 7, no matter where the parking is located.

The only way I would see this being different is if an apartment didn't have amenities, so you'd have to leave the house to go to the gym/take the dog out/etc.  But that would hurt the appeal of the apartments because most people see them as important.  

1 minute ago, AndyPok1 said:

This is interesting.  I've never heard of this term.  I somewhat get it, having someone on a 2nd floor balcony you can wave at feels more active than someone on a 6th floor.  But at the same time don't get it.  If someone wants to use the apartment gym, it doesn't matter if its on the 6th floor or 22nd, they aren't leaving the building.  And if they want to go get food, they're either taking the elevator down from 2 or down from 7, no matter where the parking is located.

The only way I would see this being different is if an apartment didn't have amenities, so you'd have to leave the house to go to the gym/take the dog out/etc.  But that would hurt the appeal of the apartments because most people see them as important.  

The wave builds community connection.

You are discounting the social psychology factor of the tenants, and of the streetside pedestrian.  I am not saying that tenants are harmed by having everything at their fingertips, what I opine is that a parking podium (unwrapped) can serve as a metaphorical moat or castle wall.  Podium building tenants order in more often,  & leave their apartments less, and generally maintain a 'cruise-ship-esque' existence over their more ground level activated counterpart.  Quick transit times to ground floor over longer ones increase street level activation.  Tenancy culture of leaving the building can push even those on the top floors to go out more than they would otherwise.   Does every podium tenant become a shut in? No.  Are my aforementioned statements backed mostly by emotion? Yes.  Does any of this REALLY apply to Orlando? Somewhat.

I would love to know how many elevator trips Modera makes vs Skyhouse, city tower, etc.  In downtown River North (chicago) you can see the effect of the podium cruise-ships since they are often located somewhat adjacent to eachother.  It results in streets where floors 2-8 are DEAD SPACE on both sides.  For ZOI to be across from Society (granted kitty corner) I believe Orlando would start to see what I mean.

I totally understand the need for podiums to be built the way they are, but while we are wishing for things, I would prefer to look up and see activity more so than I would to see some grandiose non-functional architectural detail like a visor or weird box like was originally planned for Society.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChiDev said:

For ZOI to be across from Society (granted kitty corner) I believe Orlando would start to see what I mean.

Except Society actually designed the building to have residential units in the podium levels fronting both Orange Ave and Livingston. That is one thing they did right. 

• Thanks 1

Those were from the MPB reports. I have not seen a new MPB/ARB report after the latest rendering. Tough to say from a rendering, as those are usually "fudged" a little bit by the developers.   I believe they still plan to put residential units facing the main streets, however. 

And no hard feelings meant, ChiDev. It would be expected to assume that an Orlando  developer would go for the basic podium/cheapest option given the regular track record we are used to, LOL! 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2