Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Any word on the retail front for Radius?

We’ll need a new 7-Eleven to replace the one on Rosalind shortly. @ChiDev will want to tackle that for us quickly!

Speaking of 7-Elevens, Bonnie, who worked at the store on Summerlin since God was a child (I don’t remember her not working there), has apparently left. I’ve asked but the new folks there didn’t know where she’d gone. I hope she’s well and has a well-earned retirement.

Edited by spenser1058

12 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

I'm probably very  much alone in this but this picture makes me wish someone would build a dark gray/black building like that. Sort of anti-programming to the bright colors (or all the blue/gray now) we love here in Fl.

You would have loved William Jovanovich. After publisher HBJ bought out Sea World, he decided to move the company’s HQ from NYC to Orlando (you can imagine how well that went over with that crowd) to save money.

He bemoaned all the frilliness of Florida buildings and said his would have none of that nonsense (he was particularly incensed by the Orlando standard at the time of water features, grassy courtyards and landscaping in general - just imagine what he’d say about visors!).

2 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I love dark colors on some buildings (AECOM building really stands out). The problem with dark paint colors is that they tend to fade due to sunlight/elements unless they use cladding that is already painted/coated by the mfg, etc.

I also like it when the entire bottom commercial unit of a building is painted black while the upper portion of the building is brick or a different material (as seen in larger cities). This makes a classy, chic aesthetic as well:

spacer.png

A lot of it also relates to the aesthetic of the region. This applies not only to architectural design (the Orlando Palette selected during a charette with local architects determined a lot of that) but also in things like clothing. Egon Von Furstenberg, for example, noted color choices for a suit should be different in a sooty, Northeastern city than under an open sky in Florida with direct sunlight.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

A lot of it also relates to the aesthetic of the region. This applies not only to architectural design (the Orlando Palette selected during a charette with local architects determined a lot of that) but also in things like clothing. Egon Von Furstenberg, for example, noted color choices for a suit should be different in a sooty, Northeastern city than an open sky in Florida with direct sunlight.

True. But just imagine this aesthetic on the Magnolia Pedestrian only streetscape many of us have often envisioned... doesn't have to be black, but deep bold colors often help "ground" the base of certain items, in this case ground floor retail. I think Thornton Park Central would benefit from a similar treatment - again, it doesn't have to be black but the building is definitely missing the grounding feature I spoke of, seems amateurish when not implemented when the building clearly calls for it. A building's architecture will dictate what you can get away with.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

True. But just imagine this aesthetic on the Magnolia Pedestrian only streetscape many of us have often envisioned... doesn't have to be black, but deep bold colors often help "ground" the base of certain items, in this case ground floor retail. I think Thornton Park Central would benefit from a similar treatment - again, it doesn't have to be black but the building is definitely missing the grounding feature I spoke of, seems amateurish when not implemented when the building clearly calls for it. A building's architecture will dictate what you can get away with.

If we can get our awnings back downtown, I’d even take a building painted chartreuse!

• Haha 1

What’s also fun is how we assume buildings have more gravitas when they’re darker and believe that’s the way they’re supposed to be.

When the old Florida Capitol was returned back to the way it looked in the early 1900’s complete with red and white awnings, people said they made it look like a TGI Friday’s, not an important government building. Funny thing was, the awnings were selected based on research into what had been used back then.

My favorite was a major downtown Methodist church in Birmingham. The brick had, over 75 years or so in a city with a lot of industrial pollution from steel production, become very dark, almost black.

Then the congregation decided to do a major pressure wash. Many of the old-timers were shocked to find under all that grime the brick was a lovely shade of pink!

Edited by spenser1058