Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

On 5/26/2021 at 12:33 PM, ChiDev said:

Its all about value.

Forecast the amazingly high rents like those planned at City View Tower 2 and you can do full building video screens with zero edge pools etc.

I predict once the courtyard is done, and once the building is filled, that Radius will seem so natural in its location city residents will struggle to remember the empty triangle lot that once stood there.

Agreed. This reminds me... To make Radius happen, the city had to merge 2 lots divided by a right of way street which had to be abandoned and deeded to the developer. On their own, both lots were too small for any major redevelopment. I did a write up a while ago about the [unfortunate] series of events which eventually led to Radius even becoming a possibility:

On 6/27/2019 at 12:13 PM, nite owℓ said:

A little off topic... but still worth mentioning IMO. While most of us know a little bit of the back story on the slab and the former school that used to exist on this site (thanks to JFW and spencer), I discovered a bit more about the other half of the property while doing some research a while ago. Sadly someone was murdered on the Eastern portion of that site nearly 20 ago. Figure I'd bring it up before development really takes off.

If you can recall, the original site previously consisted of 2 separate lots divided down the center by a public right of way which was abandoned and deeded to the developer by the City in order to merge both properties into the large triangle that we have now. The Eastern portion of the site was owned by Orlando architect (and former Lieutenant in the Navy),  James E. Windham III who worked out the cute little retro/mod building [Gmap] that was recently demolished. He continued to work from his office well into his 70's and according to the OS and he was courteous and charitable with panhandlers in the area. He was found slain in his office, with no real leads or motives to give his family closure at the time. A few years later, a former drug addict and career criminal received 2 life sentences for Windham's murder and the slaying of a downtown bartender.

On their own, both lots were too small for any major redevelopment, but I don't bring this up to be insensitive. Just interesting to note the series of events that led to Radius being built. Who knows how things would have turned out in another timeline. Just wanted tell other half of history of the site as a tribute to Windham.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Regarding Radius, I wasn't even suggesting anything of comparatively major height,

Just that it would have looked better from up Rosalind if the southward pointing wing had a few more floors, distinguishing that elevation from the rest of it.

Something like this maybe....

radius02.jpg

I think this illustrates what I was talking about.

When you look up Rosalind, your eye immediately tells you there's another building of some significant size in your line of sight.

Now, even though the next pic would have been too much to expect or even hope for, it's still fun to imagine...

radius03.jpg

Even better!!! 

Why’d you have to tease us like that? Smh comparison is the thief of joy.

I think my only wish for this was that the plaza better connected to Tyjeski Park.  Driving by this morning it feels like they’ll end up out of sight from eachother.  Not sure if that will change once the construction is cleaned up.

On 6/3/2021 at 11:50 AM, Jernigan said:

I think my only wish for this was that the plaza better connected to Tyjeski Park.  Driving by this morning it feels like they’ll end up out of sight from eachother.  Not sure if that will change once the construction is cleaned up.

I tried to line up the sightlines on Streetview, and it looks like sitting in the circle in Tyjeski Park, you'll have a view into the plaza at Radius, but its difficult to tell. 

https://goo.gl/maps/hExtDXedQoovWb779 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 1:17 PM, ChiDev said:

image.thumb.png.ef1c612832ad47af7fcb6789edc75f37.png

looking at the overhead view, and driving down Livingston, I am just tickled pink that this project's footprint went from the corner all the way back to the parking garage of those blue buildings off Robinson.  The broken concrete; the side road; weeds in asphalt; weeds in general; the gross back drop of the two story Travelodge;  all of that.. gone.  and the brickwork along Livingston is doing a good job of complimenting that church across the street-- and of course the new dual brand which is also clad in brick.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

looking at the overhead view, and driving down Livingston, I am just tickled pink that this project's footprint went from the corner all the way back to the parking garage of those blue buildings off Robinson.  The broken concrete; the side road; weeds in asphalt; weeds in general; the gross back drop of the two story Travelodge;  all of that.. gone.  and the brickwork along Livingston is doing a good job of complimenting that church across the street-- and of course the new dual brand which is also clad in brick.

At the street level the two adjacent projects are going to represent an amazing improvement and will expand the walkable portion of DTO. 

• Like 1

Starbucks and the retail in Radius will help majorly and might even be a draw from Lake Eola along Robinson (especially following the road diet).  Is the Vue's retail still available? This might actually activate that space too as well as the retail in the EPC garage.

image.thumb.png.0c8b8fda7674a08804bfd9a59cd5ca47.pngimage.thumb.png.22fc47810741bbdeb4d05c7d20410f05.png

9 minutes ago, codypet said:

Starbucks and the retail in Radius will help majorly and might even be a draw from Lake Eola along Robinson (especially following the road diet).  Is the Vue's retail still available? This might actually activate that space too as well as the retail in the EPC garage.

image.thumb.png.0c8b8fda7674a08804bfd9a59cd5ca47.pngimage.thumb.png.22fc47810741bbdeb4d05c7d20410f05.png

Last I heard, the Vue’s retail was turned over to a law firm. I don’t see retail working on Rosalind until they leave the speedway to Daytona and slow it way down. They’ll also have to work out something with St. George about the homeless. Finally, the fact that very little faces Rosalind doesn’t help. 

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Last I heard, the Vue’s retail was turned over to a law firm. I don’t see retail working on Rosalind until they leave the speedway to Daytona and slow it way down. They’ll also have to work out something with St. George about the homeless. Finally, the fact that very little faces Rosalind doesn’t help. 

Remember when we “tried” to have a discussion on this forum about alternatives for Rosalind? 

That went about as far along as the street has in two decades in creating a hospitable environment for pedestrians.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 3:16 PM, dcluley98 said:

Radius looks decent from these pics. . . Modera, not so much. :(

What's wrong with Modera Central? I think it looks nice, save for my desire for it to have been twice as tall lol