Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

31 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Yes, I got a response from the city saying it would take probably a year to prepare estimates and think about moving it, whether it is worth the cost, and where to move it to, where the money would be coming from, etc. 

Not holding my breath, but it seems we got some attention, which is all I really could ask for.  They know we care, and it seems they care too, it is down to the feasibility and the money. 

Plenty of time to start a publicity  campaign.  

And a GoFundMe. :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Perhaps the "little old ladies" could come up with the cash to move it to their vacant landlocked corner formerly known as the "undesirable 7-Eleven." 

(actually not a bad idea). 

That would be a pretty good (and close) spot that would not require the disconnecting and taking down of so many traffic signals as if they moved it to say, the expanded area at the SE corner of Eola Park or Constitution Green, which were two places I was thinking would make good new homes for it.

I'd be happy if they just shoved it to the opposite (NW) corner of the lot and a developer built around it. 

Wait!  This is the Zoi House Tree?  

If you can't get it under I-4 what makes them think they can clear the mast arms and whatnot along the way?  I understand CV would make the most sense, but logistically and financially I can see that being prohibitive.   Wouldn't moving to Kevin Tyjeski Park or the green space behind the courthouse make more sense?

Good on you guys on getting them on this though.  I assume the money would come from that tree fund that developers and billboard companies pay into to cut trees down for development and billboards?

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

I think the parks department is just doing it as an exercise because we mentioned CV as a possibility. I will probably email back with other areas/options such as new Eola Park areas, Courthouse area greenspace, etc.  That area on the NW corner of Magnolia and Livingston with the courthouse parking lot has several deciduous trees that it could go with. Another area I thought about was the area south of the city CHW plant at State Lane, which I believe was slated for an electric vehicle charging station built by OUC.  That would fit really well with preserving a tree! 

I am going to reply thanking them for studying the feasibility of different options and offering some other ideas for additional sites for the relocation.  It's just some amateur city planning on the internet, but at least we got the awareness up and the ball rolling about important people thinking about it. That's really what my goal was, even if it fails.  It would have never happened if we didn't at least try. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I think the parks department is just doing it as an exercise because we mentioned CV as a possibility. I will probably email back with other areas/options such as new Eola Park areas, Courthouse area greenspace, etc.  That area on the NW corner of Magnolia and Livingston with the courthouse parking lot has several deciduous trees that it could go with. Another area I thought about was the area south of the city CHW plant at State Lane, which I believe was slated for an electric vehicle charging station built by OUC.  That would fit really well with preserving a tree! 

I am going to reply thanking them for studying the feasibility of different options and offering some other ideas for additional sites for the relocation.  It's just some amateur city planning on the internet, but at least we got the awareness up and the ball rolling about important people thinking about it. That's really what my goal was, even if it fails.  It would have never happened if we didn't at least try. 

Yeah, I did that too.

Attached that pic of the courthouse plaza location.

Just checked my email.

Got a reply to my reply....

treepath2mail.jpg

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, codypet said:

If OC doesn't want it right in the middle of the courthouse plaza, I still think that spot behind the courthouse would be perfect.  Unless there's some legacy utilities in that spot from when Magnolia used to be in that location.

Send them the suggestion with attached pic. 

32 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

they should use those Chinook heavy lifter choppers

*sings, “Suicide Is Painless” as the choppers land*

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ODV6mxVVRZk&noapp=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODV6mxVVRZk&noapp=1

Music by Johnny Mandel; Lyrics by Robert Altman’s son (who made more off the song royalties than dad made directing the movie).
Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

Just now, jrs2 said:

those choppers are still a thing, right?    why are they moving this tree?  is there an imminent project about to get built there?

Our intrepid sleuths, @dcluley98 and @JFW657, e-mailed the city’s forester and found out there wasn’t much chance of SAVING THE TREE in its current location, but got the staffers considering alternatives. All in all, a splendid bit of work.

• Like 3

@Codypet That was the exact location I was talking about on NE corner of Livingston and Magnolia. The other OUC Parcel I mentioned that is planned to have an EV Charging Station built is here:943151228_TreeLocations.thumb.jpg.7e28da82aff8a83ecb8b94fac5823a2b.jpg

May try to see if there is a construction/planning contact at OUC associated with the new EV Charging Station that can maybe contact asking about this and informing him about our ideas to save this and the parks department's current efforts. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/09/29/orlando-utilities-commission-to-build-downtown.html

16 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

those choppers are still a thing, right?    why are they moving this tree?  is there an imminent project about to get built there?

Well they are not yet moving it and don't even know if they can.

But maybe they are looking into it because they know it's only a matter of time.

Just now, dcluley98 said:

@Codypet That was the exact location I was talking about on NE corner of Livingston and Magnolia. The other OUC Parcel I mentioned that is planned to have an EV Charging Station built is here:943151228_TreeLocations.thumb.jpg.7e28da82aff8a83ecb8b94fac5823a2b.jpg

May try to see if there is a construction/planning contact at OUC associated with the new EV Charging Station that can maybe contact asking about this and informing him about our ideas to save this and the parks department's current efforts. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/09/29/orlando-utilities-commission-to-build-downtown.html

Very nice, but may I suggest that if you're going to send this to the city, using a nice, bright yellow for your location boxes, etc would make them a lot easier to see.  :thumbsup: 

BTW, sorry for threadjacking Radius. Don't know why this snowballed on this thread with us playing Jr. City Development planner here. I had created another thread for "The Tree" but people started posting on this one. Not sure who is a mod now that could move the posts to the appropriate thread I created here. 

www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/120710-the-tree/www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/120710-the-tree/

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dcluley98 said:

BTW, sorry for threadjacking Radius. Don't know why this snowballed on this thread with us playing Jr. City Development planner on this one. I had created another thread for "The Tree" but people started posting on this one. Not sure who is a mod now that could move the posts to the appropriate thread I created here. 

@dcluley98, you’re just a wild and craaazy guy! We like that.

1 minute ago, dcluley98 said:

BTW, sorry for threadjacking Radius. Don't know why this snowballed on this thread with us playing Jr. City Development planner on this one. I had created another thread for "The Tree" but people started posting on this one. Not sure who is a mod now that could move the posts to the appropriate thread I created here. 

I was thinking about that too.

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

Sadly, I’ve been told a lot of folks are askeered to go in the Coffee House.

As they should be.

A-skeered and a-fearin' for their life and shakin' like a leaf on a tree.

That is a tough place.

Get out of line in there and you'll be crying "Gimme three steps, gimme three steps mister, gimme three steps toward the door!!!" 

• Haha 1