Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

I remember when Church Street Market plaza had trees in planters, fountains and outdoor seating with umbrellas. Some trees and hardscaping elements were removed and I specifically remember one of the complaints in the planning document stating the trees were blocking sightlines from the street to businesses in the plaza. Little by little it became a barren, hot wasteland. As restaurants when out of business, so too did the outdoor seating.

Before: https://goo.gl/maps/3gWhd7fEhL2AXsqKA

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, eq1974 said:

I am moving in October 15. I have lived in Orlando most my life but have never lived downtown. Though for the last 30 years I have been inching closer- Union Park> Hourglass District> Milk District...

Warning! I am about to ramble! If you want very little field info on The Radius read on...

About a month ago I went on a Radius “hard hat tour” for people who have already submitted rental agreements (like me) and potential renters and there were about 12 of us. It consisted of putting on hard hats (duh but it was sort of cool), entering a side door and up like 4 flights of stairs to the first floor of rental units (I guess ground floor retail will have tall ceilings and it does mean my “4th floor” unit is 5 stories up), down an unfinished hallway and being able to view 2 different floor plan finished units (no display furniture). 

Neither unit was my floor plan but I got to see what to expect. Seemed like the walls were pretty solid (good for noise or lack of) and the floor coverings look quality and very nice. Appliances and unit fixtures of course were what you would expect in a new building. And that was it for the tour. Nothing else was available for touring.

I got to meet the staff I had been talking to for months and they are as friendly in person as they are on the phone.

My unit faces the plaza. I have only seen the plaza landscaping from pictures posted on here (thank you BTW) and am hoping they are not finished yet. New I know but a little barren  looking. I’ll get down there soon to check in person. 

I am looking forward to my downtown experience. It really will be a different lifestyle for me.

I think you have chosen a good time to make the move. South Eola and Thorton finally have more than 2 restaurants worth entering and CV is going to be a fun place when the park opens. You're an easy walk to SunRail, Starbucks is next door and of course Lake Eola is  a jewel.  Dr Phillips is about to crank up a full season, the Magic start next month, football will be in CW for bowl season. Of course, on occasion,  you may have to walk through the cesspool of Orange Ave, but even that can easily be avoided if you want to.

37 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I think you have chosen a good time to make the move. South Eola and Thorton finally have more than 2 restaurants worth entering and CV is going to be a fun place when the park opens. You're an easy walk to SunRail, Starbucks is next door and of course Lake Eola is  a jewel.  Dr Phillips is about to crank up a full season, the Magic start next month, football will be in CW for bowl season. Of course, on occasion,  you may have to walk through the cesspool of Orange Ave, but even that can easily be avoided if you want to.

Every move contains an amount of stress about about your new place so thank you for the insight. 

Oh, I know about Orange Ave...it’s one reason why I picked a place a distance from it. But...I can walk there if I want to ever express my wild side.:tw_naughty:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, thebigjake said:

Hi eq1974, I can fill in some info for you. Glad you are moving in and very happy to hear the staff is treating you well. 

The plaza will be more filled in eventually with some standing sculptures, ground lighting and outdoor furniture from the retail tenants.   There are a couple of bike racks yet to be installed as well.  We have one retail tenant in for permit (Ding Tea, as mentioned here previously). We are working on leases with two more cool tenants, and talking terms with several other users. There should be a pretty good mix of users in here when we are done that will improve your resident experience. And once they are all moved in and operating the plaza will feel much more full.

On the inside, it is still a work in progress. We have temporary certificate of occupancy, with full CO expected in about a month and a half.  So the common areas as of today will still feel a bit empty and sparse.  Some of the furniture and artwork is going in now but there will be much more going in later.  The pool deck and bocce ball deck are still under construction but getting close, and the fitness center is either done or close to it. And there will be a lot more amenity spaces for tenants coming in soon, but not activated just yet: business center, game room, dog wash, outdoor dog run, storage room, parcel room with refrigerated space, etc. We are getting there....

Glad you guys were able to get this project off the ground to begin with but I'm just curious, are there any unique scenarios about how the pandemic has affected the project that you can share? Any other plans for the area??:tw_innocent:

4 hours ago, thebigjake said:

Hi eq1974, I can fill in some info for you. Glad you are moving in and very happy to hear the staff is treating you well. 

The plaza will be more filled in eventually with some standing sculptures, ground lighting and outdoor furniture from the retail tenants.   There are a couple of bike racks yet to be installed as well.  We have one retail tenant in for permit (Ding Tea, as mentioned here previously). We are working on leases with two more cool tenants, and talking terms with several other users. There should be a pretty good mix of users in here when we are done that will improve your resident experience. And once they are all moved in and operating the plaza will feel much more full.

On the inside, it is still a work in progress. We have temporary certificate of occupancy, with full CO expected in about a month and a half.  So the common areas as of today will still feel a bit empty and sparse.  Some of the furniture and artwork is going in now but there will be much more going in later.  The pool deck and bocce ball deck are still under construction but getting close, and the fitness center is either done or close to it. And there will be a lot more amenity spaces for tenants coming in soon, but not activated just yet: business center, game room, dog wash, outdoor dog run, storage room, parcel room with refrigerated space, etc. We are getting there....

Thank you for the update. One weekend back in April I made a lot of appointments and visited a number of downtown properties. All were nice but your location really stood out. Off the beaten path but not so much. Plus I can just cross the intersection to Jury duty!

Looking forward to that new building smell. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2021 at 7:36 PM, eq1974 said:

Thank you for the update. One weekend back in April I made a lot of appointments and visited a number of downtown properties. All were nice but your location really stood out. Off the beaten path but not so much. Plus I can just cross the intersection to Jury duty!

Looking forward to that new building smell. Thanks again.

No pressure, @eq1974, but we’re expecting the retail gossip from you since @thebigjakeprobably has to keep mum on some unsigned leases.

15 hours ago, Jernigan said:

No pressure, @eq1974, but we’re expecting the retail gossip from you since @thebigjakeprobably has to keep mum on some unsigned leases.

Mission accepted Sir!

Will be setting up home base in building soon!

Commencing Operation Gladys Kravitz!

Actually a recent “interrogation” of the staff did not yield any new information about retail but I did learn the exact location of the dog walk...

Gossip...er...”updates”...to follow...

32AF223D-2F47-4E56-BFFE-AD826A53128C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FLheat said:

I walked past this weekend and some of the short walls were solid black with skateboard wheel marks, just can't have anything nice!

I've caught some flack on forums before, possibly this one several years ago, not sure, because I posted some "less than complimentary" opinions about skateboarders who do that. Destructive little b*st*rds don't give a rat's rear end about other people's property. The building management will have those metal edge brackets attached all along the edges of those walls pretty soon like every other building downtown has had to install because of those selfish little jerks.

I wish they could find out who they are and make them or their parents pay for the damage. 

4 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I've caught some flack on forums before, possibly this one several years ago, not sure, because I posted some "less than complimentary" opinions about skateboarders who do that. Destructive little b*st*rds don't give a rat's rear end about other people's property. The building management will have those metal edge brackets attached all along the edges of those walls pretty soon like every other building downtown has had to install because of those selfish little jerks.

I wish they could find out who they are and make them or their parents pay for the damage. 

They can also continue to upgrade the skateboard park Mayor Glenda installed. They have to show responsibility and the city can give them an incentive to do so.

16 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

They can also continue to upgrade the skateboard park Mayor Glenda installed. They have to show responsibility and the city can give them an incentive to do so.

I doubt that a sketeboard park would make much, if any difference. If they are skateboarding downtown and they see an unprotected concrete knee wall they're going to do their thing without paying any mind whatsoever to how badly they might destroy it. Even if there's a skeatboard park right across the street.

I cannot imagine some teenager saying to his buddies... "Golly gee-whiz, fellas. We shouldn't do ollies and grinds here on this privately owned property because our trucks and wheels will damage the concrete and that wouldn't be fair ro the owners who'll have to pay for the repairs. Let's just do our skateboarding at the city approved skaeboard park.

They DGAF. 

12 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I doubt that a sketeboard park would make much, if any difference. If they are skateboarding downtown and they see an unprotected concrete knee wall they're going to do their thing without paying any mind whatsoever to how badly they might destroy it. Even if there's a skeatboard park right across the street.

I cannot imagine some teenager saying to his buddies... "Golly gee-whiz, fellas. We shouldn't do ollies and grinds here on this privately owned property because our trucks and wheels will damage the concrete and that wouldn't be fair ro the owners who'll have to pay for the repairs. Let's just do our skateboarding at the city approved skaeboard park.

They DGAF. 

They’ve done studies in it over the years and it makes a difference. Sure there are some who won’t bother but, just like when you and I were growing up, most kids aren’t j.d.’s. My grandfather was making the same type of comments about teenagers as you are back in the ‘70’s and, as Ed McMahon pointed out in a Boys’ Club ad then, the same sentiments can be traced back at least as far as (this is an actual quote from Ed) - “sock-it-to-‘em Socrates”.

Meanwhile, let’s all sing “Smokin’ In the Boys’ Room” (here’s the Motley Crue version from several years later):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oVBvxA0mm0
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5oVBvxA0mm0

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

They’ve done studies in it over the years and it makes a difference. Sure there are some who won’t bother but, just like when you and I were growing up, most kids aren’t j.d.’s. My grandfather was making the same type of comments about teenagers as you are back in the ‘70’s and, as Ed McMahon pointed out in a Boys’ Club ad then, the same sentiments can be traced back at least as far as (this is an actual quote from Ed) - “sock-it-to-‘em Socrates”.

Meanwhile, let’s all sing “Smokin’ In the Boys’ Room” (here’s the Motley Crue version from several years later):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oVBvxA0mm0
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5oVBvxA0mm0

And your grandfather was right. Teenagers have always been for the most part, a bunch of destructive little sh*ts.

Let's say a skateboard park cut down on 50% of the "sk8trz" hopping their skateboards up onto the edges of concrete knee wals on privately owned buildings and sliding them along the edges. Is that the so-called "difference" the skatepak would make? How much less noticeable would the black marks and scraped, chipped corners be? Once the damage is done by a few, it's there and needs to be repaired whether 50 different kids were involved in it or 100 different kids. The damage would for all intents and purposes, look just as bad.

They could outlaw skateboarding downtown and give tickets to those they catch and confiscate their skateboards, which is what I would kike to see, but if they tried that, all the tax-paying, upper middle class mommies and daddies of the little angels, would throw a poutraged hissy fit claiming their precious offspring would never damage private property. 

So look for the ugly corner brackets to go on the walls before much longer.

Personally, I'd like to see sharpened iron spikes sticking up out of them, but only as long as they spaced them apart far enough that I could sit down there some day if I ever felt so inclined.

11 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Didn't think Spenser would be a fan of the Teal awnings and accents. I agree this corner looks really nice now. The outdoor seeting at the new greek place is pretty nice too in the pocket park now. 

Black marks could be from the "scooter scourge" too. 

I’m willing to overlook the teal since the rest was so cool. Scooters are the scourge of my existence walking back from Publix at Eola with three bags of groceries slowing me down. 

5 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

And your grandfather was right. Teenagers have always been for the most part, a bunch of destructive little sh*ts.

Let's say a skateboard park cut down on 50% of the "sk8trz" hopping their skateboards up onto the edges of concrete knee wals on privately owned buildings and sliding them along the edges. Is that the so-called "difference" the skatepak would make? How much less noticeable would the black marks and scraped, chipped corners be? Once the damage is done by a few, it's there and needs to be repaired whether 50 different kids were involved in it or 100 different kids. The damage would for all intents and purposes, look just as bad.

They could outlaw skateboarding downtown and give tickets to those they catch and confiscate their skateboards, which is what I would kike to see, but if they tried that, all the tax-paying, upper middle class mommies and daddies of the little angels, would throw a poutraged hissy fit claiming their precious offspring would never damage private property. 

So look for the ugly corner brackets to go on the walls before much longer.

Personally, I'd like to see sharpened iron spikes sticking up out of them, but only as long as they spaced them apart far enough that I could sit down there some day if I ever felt so inclined.

*ponders if @JFW657has been in a bad mood for 30 years like Ouiser in “Steel Magnolias”*

Edited by spenser1058

Downtown Nashville used to have a Krystal on Church St. that dated back to around the 1940’s. Maybe we can get one of those!

I definitely can’t eat as many Krystals as I did in my Nashville days…

Woohoo! @ChiDev is back! After the tree murders last weekend, he/she/they is the only person who can keep me from condemning the whole clan of developers to perdition. Thank you for keeping me sane! It’s good to know there’s at least one honest one in the “profession”.

26 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I’m willing to overlook the teal since the rest was so cool. Scooters are the scourge of my existence walking back from Publix at Eola with three bags of groceries slowing me down. 

*ponders if @JFW657has been in a bad mood for 30 years like Ouiser in “Steel Magnolias”*

If I am to be compared to an old, ornery movie character, it would be more like one of these guys....

91yNgrg8rkL._SY445_.jpg

Minus the snow and unfortunately, Ann Margaret.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

God, what a nice-looking retail setup. @dcluley98, promise they’re not gonna break my heart and fill ‘em up with 7-Elevens and Dunkins…

In walking through the unfenced plaza to the front door for the first time I started to put a wish list together about types of businesses I would like see and not see. 

Because of spenser1058 I just added two to the “not see” wish list.

• Like 1