Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

23 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

They did re-open Livingston bike lane and moved the fence on the north side this morning.   

When I rode to/from work Tuesday morning and afternoon it was open.  I noticed something was unusual there and I couldn't put my finger on it riding there at the time.

On 10/6/2021 at 2:48 AM, eq1974 said:

Commencing Operation Gladys Kravitz!

Abner! Abner!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I've caught some flack on forums before, possibly this one several years ago, not sure, because I posted some "less than complimentary" opinions about skateboarders who do that. Destructive little b*st*rds don't give a rat's rear end about other people's property. The building management will have those metal edge brackets attached all along the edges of those walls pretty soon like every other building downtown has had to install because of those selfish little jerks.

I wish they could find out who they are and make them or their parents pay for the damage. 

The Fashion Square Burdines (Macy’s), though not an architectural treasure, started out with sloping walls at the bottom. That lasted around 10 years before they had to build a vertical short wall around the base. I’m sure that wasn’t cheap. 

Once walking by there a skateboarder almost took out my 5’2 foot mother. There was actual contact. She is a very pleasant lady but boy did she let loose her Navy Wife’s cussing when the dude didn’t even acknowledge what he did!

769B8EE2-C7F2-4D95-BC2A-79AFA63138BD.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eq1974 said:

The Fashion Square Burdines (Macy’s), though not an architectural treasure, started out with sloping walls at the bottom. That lasted around 10 years before they had to build a vertical short wall around the base. I’m sure that wasn’t cheap. 

Once walking by there a skateboarder almost took out my 5’2 foot mother. There was actual contact. She is a very pleasant lady but boy did she let loose her Navy Wife’s cussing when the dude didn’t even acknowledge what he did!

I understand the attraction to these kinds of surfaces for skateboarders. When I was a teenager growing up in Central Brevard County, my friends and I were surf rats and of course, into skateboarding whenever the waves were flat. This was of course, prior to the days of the technologically advanced, scientifically engineered, computer designed, flexible, multilayered, fiberglass coated, non-slip surfaced, cool-graphics emblazoned decks, etc. The most advanced thing we had were the wide, non-slip wheels and flexible trucks that were specifically designed for skateboards so they could make sharp turns, etc. 

And there was also very little, of the kinds of snazzy tricks they do today with cutesy, surfer sounding names like "ollies" and "grinds", etc. etc. 

Though we did occasuonally skateboard in places we weren't suposed to, because we didn't do tricks like the above mentioned moves that involve  "jumping" the skateboard up onto the edge of some elevated, hard surface (the "ollie") and sliding along it (the "grind"), there was little to no property damage associated with it. 

Our favorite place to engage in any kind of "extreme" skateboarding was here.....

528overpass3.png

The Bee-Line overpass on west Clearlake Rd in Cocoa.

We'd start out at the top corner, then ride the face of the "wave" down and across until we got as far as we could go without hitting one of the columns or the guard rail. 

We did this until one day, a guy we knew from school, got to the bottom where he jumped off his skateboard and over the guardrail.

His momentum carried him out into the roadway, right in front of a Winnebago.

He was in a coma for several days afterward.

Edited by JFW657

20 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

They can also continue to upgrade the skateboard park Mayor Glenda installed. They have to show responsibility and the city can give them an incentive to do so.

Workin' on it!  FPR special sites capital fund is going to some chemical tanks that need to be replaced at a pool this year, but looking at an allocation in 2022-23 to add a street course to the west of the existing park.  I also think there will be a park as part of Under-I.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

That is a LOT of teal.

And I’m a Suntrust tower teal fan.

Yes and yes.  I've never had a complaint about the SunTrust teal (I've kind of always seen it as a riff on aged copper anyway), but the teal against the red brick kills me.  Still love this project overall though.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, uncreativeusername said:

Yes and yes.  I've never had a complaint about the SunTrust teal (I've kind of always seen it as a riff on aged copper anyway), but the teal against the red brick kills me.  Still love this project overall though.

Hmmm, I’ve been wanting the dome on city hall to go natural ever since ‘92 (definitely one of Mayor Bill’s few design faux pas, imho) so I’ll trade you that for the SunTrust teal ;) ).

Did you know the plural of faux pas is also faux pas? High school French didn’t go well for me (I had a crush on Freddie Pennington who sat in front of me, which didn’t help at all) so I had to Google it.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 2

I just looked at the prices $1650 for a 500 sqft studio.  My mortgage is $1641 and I have an 1800 sqft 3/2 in the Milk District (And that includes homeowners insurance).  I know there's a lot going into the math so that the owners can make a profit (including an onsite fitness center, and pool), but holy crap.

Edited by codypet
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, codypet said:

I just looked at the prices $1650 for a 500 sqft studio.  My mortgage is $1641 and I have an 1800 sqft 3/2 in the Milk District (And that includes homeowners insurance).  I know there's a lot going into the math so that the owners can make a profit (including an onsite fitness center, and pool), but holy crap.

Did you factor in property taxes too?

To each his/her own. $1650 for a studio seems high and I don't know how people do it on regular salaries, but that pricing is kind of in line with all apartments downtown. I'd rather pay the extra $50-100 to live in new concrete construction w/double pane glass than live in one of the wooden apartment complexes where you hear every minutiae of your neighbor's daily routine combined w/single single pane glass so you get bombarded with noise at street level/nearby clubs. Some people don't want to own -- or they're not ready to settle down, so that is the price they pay. Besides onsite amenities, keep in mind most buildings also pay for security guards, maintenance staff, property manager, some also offer concierge service, offer event space for rent, ground floor retail for convenience,  etc. Another factor they pay for is the location. Orlando is no NYC by any means, but some people want that semblance of a bustling city vibe that Orlando struggles to provide and they are willing pay for it. On regular days it's pretty chill, but on event days and some weekends I feel the big city energy that I desperately need for sustenance lol. I bought 2 properties around around the recession so my payments are low and affordable, but I personally did not want to own anything more than a mile away from Lake Eola... at all costs lol. Just explaining the mindset of someone who would prefer to live in something smaller just to be able to live downtown.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 9:40 AM, codypet said:

Wait, are those scuffs caused by the wheels or the trucks and the side of the boards?

On 10/11/2021 at 9:58 AM, Kaz said:

Most likely the wax they use (with dirt) to make it possible to slide.

I think it's a combination of everything. 

The trucks and wheels probably damage the concrete by scraping it and the bottom of the deck probably rubs material off to it. 

The ugly but necessary brackets should be in place soon.

21 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Did you factor in property taxes too?

To each his/her own. $1650 for a studio seems high and I don't know how people do it on regular salaries, but that pricing is kind of in line with all apartments downtown. I'd rather pay the extra $50-100 to live in new concrete construction w/double pane glass than live in one of the wooden apartment complexes where you hear every minutiae of your neighbor's daily routine combined w/single single pane glass so you get bombarded with noise at street level/nearby clubs. Some people don't want to own -- or they're not ready to settle down, so that is the price they pay. Besides onsite amenities, keep in mind most buildings also pay for security guards, maintenance staff, property manager, some also offer concierge service, offer event space for rent, ground floor retail for convenience,  etc. Another factor they pay for is the location. Orlando is no NYC by any means, but some people want that semblance of a bustling city vibe that Orlando struggles to provide and they are willing pay for it. On regular days it's pretty chill, but on event days and some weekends I feel the big city energy that I desperately need for sustenance lol. I bought 2 properties around around the recession so my payments are low and affordable, but I personally did not want to own anything more than a mile away from Lake Eola... at all costs lol. Just explaining the mindset of someone who would prefer to live in something smaller just to be able to live downtown.

I assumed the rent included a fraction of whatever property taxes are due for the apartment, just like my mortgage includes the escrow for the property taxes and insurance.   That's why I mentioned the my mortgage included the insurance (because the apt doesn't) and I mentioned not having a pool or fitness center at my house.  At the same time I have a ton of junior staff that can't afford to keep renting near the office because like you said rent is in line with apartments not just downtown, but Baldwin and other areas of Orlando.

5 hours ago, codypet said:

I assumed the rent included a fraction of whatever property taxes are due for the apartment, just like my mortgage includes the escrow for the property taxes and insurance.   That's why I mentioned the my mortgage included the insurance (because the apt doesn't) and I mentioned not having a pool or fitness center at my house.  At the same time I have a ton of junior staff that can't afford to keep renting near the office because like you said rent is in line with apartments not just downtown, but Baldwin and other areas of Orlando.

Sure, but the apartment would indirectly include the building insurance policy in the rental rate in addition all of the other overhead expenses and tax. In the end, renters are paying around the same amount it takes to buy a condo (when you add up the mortgage, HO6 insurance for the interior, HOA fees, etc.). 1/1 condos in comparable buildings go for 230k & up so whether people chose to rent or own - they'll still end up paying around the same amount to live in something similar (unless they go the cheap route).

15 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Sure, but the apartment would indirectly include the building insurance policy in the rental rate in addition all of the other overhead expenses and tax. In the end, renters are paying around the same amount it takes to buy a condo (when you add up the mortgage, HO6 insurance for the interior, HOA fees, etc.). 1/1 condos in comparable buildings go for 230k & up so whether people chose to rent or own - they'll still end up paying around the same amount to live in something similar (unless they go the cheap route).

Not sure about the radius, but I've lived in similar luxury apt years ago that required the renter take out a separate renters insurance policy out on the apt in addition to what was already being paid for rent.   

A nearby unit for sale at the Vue (4th floor) at 925 SF (1bed 2 ba) is selling for $350k  with an estimated mortgage payment of $2k (not sure if that includes incidentals).  Given the proximity, if you account for square footage, a $1500-1600 sf unit on the top floor lakeside facing studio in Radius seems pretty reasonable, especially given the lack of a needed down payment. 

Radius and it's pricing seems even more reasonable when you take into account the rents they are asking in Creative Village, which to me is far less central to the city, and further from the city's hustle-bustle mentioned earlier.