Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

5 hours ago, codypet said:

Not sure about the radius, but I've lived in similar luxury apt years ago that required the renter take out a separate renters insurance policy out on the apt in addition to what was already being paid for rent.   

Yeah... I'm referring to the master building insurance policy included in your monthly condo HOA (COA) fees though. An apartment complex still has to have building insurance for the common areas, exterior, etc. similar to a condo. The renter's insurance policy that you're referring to covers your belongings inside of the apartment which is somewhat similar to the condo owner's HO6 policy (covers belongings and material finishes inside of the unit) which you still have to purchase as the owner of a condo/townhome. Essentially I'm saying an apartment complex wouldn't assess monthly "HOA fees" onto renters so that portion of expenses get baked into the monthly rent instead.

Just saying it all kinda averages out in the end whether you rent or own... although I think condo ownership is more expensive because you have the HOA fees added on top of the mortgage/taxes/HO6 insurance.

Edited by nite owℓ

21 hours ago, elefants said:

Looks good.  Is this the final product sans pool water and tenants?

There may still be a few façade tweaks, & most of the spaces are still going through design finish (lobby, first floor amenities, main club room) with furniture and decor arriving through the backlog of US Shipping right now.  Tiling and equipment still being installed in the dog-spa, partition glass still going in the shared office space, parcel room digital lockers, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was in building yesterday and checked out the out the bike storage and tv room (with no tv’s yet), along with the things ChiDev mentioned. Same status. 

Here’s to the phrase “expected to be finished in November “... I was there last Sunday and the majority of these areas mentioned did show work on them since then. When a prospective tenet walks into the lobby for the first time I hope they are immediately told about the lobby furniture delay. The lobby now sort of looks like your first apartment when different parts of your family donated you starter furniture so you could at least have a place to sit. 

My unit had multiple cosmetic problems and almost all of them have been corrected in the week since I pointed them out.

I don’t know if Radius did this on purpose but when you are on the pool deck you can hang by the pool and look over bustling downtown facing South, or walk under the Eastern units built on that level to the Sky Lounge outside area (or whatever it’s name, I guess I better start learning them) which faces North and is more quiet and shows Orlando’s green canopy. A get away of sorts.

Looking forward to moving in this week!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, eq1974 said:

I don’t know if Radius did this on purpose but when you are on the pool deck you can hang by the pool and look over bustling downtown facing South, or walk under the Eastern units built on that level to the Sky Lounge outside area (or whatever it’s name, I guess I better start learning them) which faces North and is more quiet and shows Orlando’s green canopy. A get away of sorts.

Looking forward to moving in this week!

Do you think you could take a picture or two from the pool deck for us?  Congrats on the new apartment!

On 10/20/2021 at 12:02 PM, ChiDev said:

A nearby unit for sale at the Vue (4th floor) at 925 SF (1bed 2 ba) is selling for $350k  with an estimated mortgage payment of $2k (not sure if that includes incidentals).  Given the proximity, if you account for square footage, a $1500-1600 sf unit on the top floor lakeside facing studio in Radius seems pretty reasonable, especially given the lack of a needed down payment. 

Radius and it's pricing seems even more reasonable when you take into account the rents they are asking in Creative Village, which to me is far less central to the city, and further from the city's hustle-bustle mentioned earlier.

That $2k a month does not include HOA fees.

What are they at the Vue now, $1 a foot? thats another $925 a month. $.50 a foot, thats $465 on top of the mortgage. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 6:11 AM, eq1974 said:

When a prospective tenet walks into the lobby for the first time I hope they are immediately told about the lobby furniture delay. The lobby now sort of looks like your first apartment when different parts of your family donated you starter furniture so you could at least have a place to sit. 

Just an FYI, we are still working on getting design implements in the lobby, but shipping delays like everywhere are horrible.  Expect this space to look vastly different by time of completion.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the wood planking this afternoon.

Looks like it may serve a dual purpose of both seating and keeping the sk8rz away.....

103-0040.jpg

103-0044.jpg

103-0043.jpg

103-0045.jpg

103-0046.jpg

Keep them all from ending up looking like this...

103-0047.jpg

I hope they put more of that wood planking on the rest of it.

Also looks to be applied in such a way that members of our local "residentially challenged" population can't lie down and stretch out.

Guess they were thinking about everything.

Edited by JFW657

In the Frederick era, I believe you could build a non-flat roof or a water feature. Once they figured out the visor scam, I don’t think anyone wanted to pay for a water feature anymore.

Mayor Bill is a big fan of Kansas City and all its fountains, so I suspect he’s disappointed.

Edited by spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

In the Frederick era, I believe you could build a non-flat roof or a water feature. Once they figured out the visor scam, I don’t think anyone wanted to pay for a water feature anymore.

Mayor Bill is a big fan of Kansas City and all its fountains, so I suspect he’s disappointed.

OTOH, fountains are also a huge waste of water, which is possibly our most valuable natual resource, and one that we need to begin paying more attention to and taking better care of as the state's population continues to increase. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

OTOH, fountains are also a huge waste of water, which is possibly our most valuable natual resource, and one that we need to begin paying more attention to and taking better care of as the state's population continues to increase. 

It’s possible to do fountains that recycle most of the water they use and they reduce the ambient temperatures thereby  helping with climate change.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s possible to do fountains that recycle most of the water they use and they reduce the ambient temperatures thereby  helping with climate change.

They still lose water to evaporation. 

The larger the fountain, the more evaporation occurs.

You'd have to show me some proof or credible evidence about fountains reducing ambient temperature and helping climate change.  

Considering that the pumps use electricity and all. 

18 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

They still lose water to evaporation. 

The larger the fountain, the more evaporation occurs.

You'd have to show me some proof or credible evidence about fountains reducing ambient temperature and helping climate change.  

Considering that the pumps use electricity and all. 

As far as all the pumps and such, a lot of that is laziness (and as silly as electric toothbrushes).

Do you believe there were no great fountains in the world before electricity? Just like the Roman aqueducts, water was moved for centuries by use of something that occurs in nature: gravity. For that matter, they did it in climates as different as Rome and St. Petersburg, Russia.

It’s just like buildings constructed in the ‘70’s with no windows and homes that use twice as much power as necessary because the architect never bothered to factor in cross-ventilation once a/c became standard. There are easy workarounds for most things but you have to want something to work. 

As planners have known for centuries, plazas with fountains are simply more pleasant (especially in warmer climates) than those without. As Mayor Bill figured out, they make outdoor areas more vibrant and the more time people spend outside, the less you spend on a/c. Btw, fountains have served the function of “misters” that are now becoming a standard feature anyplace that’s hot.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

As far as all the pumps and such, a lot of that is laziness (and as silly as electric toothbrushes).

Do you believe there were no great fountains in the world before electricity? Just like the Roman aqueducts, water was moved for centuries by use of something that occurs in nature: gravity. For that matter, they did it in climates as different as Rome and St. Petersburg, Russia.

It’s just like buildings constructed in the ‘70’s with no windows and homes that use twice as much power as necessary because the architect never bothered to factor in cross-ventilation once a/c became standard. There are easy workarounds for most things but you have to want something to work. 

As planners have known for centuries, plazas with fountains are simply more pleasant (especially in warmer climates) than those without. As Mayor Bill figured out, they make outdoor areas more vibrant and the more time people spend outside, the less you spend on a/c. Btw, fountains have served the function of “misters” that are now becoming a standard feature anyplace that’s hot.

I don't think ancient Rome was a good example of how Orlando can build fountains that require no pumps or electricity. 

image.png

So, since those Roman gravity fed fountains required the elevated water source provided by surrounding mountains and Orlando has no hills or mountains around it, I'm at a loss as to how one of them would work in DTO

As far as making plazas more pleasant and vibrant, I couldn't agree more.

But there is still the issue of water conservation which to some, trumps pleasantness and vibrance.

And those "misters" you spoke of only work in dry, arid climates.

In sweaty, humid Orlando, they'd just make people wetter that they already are. 

5 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

How about a couple of shade trees to humanize the “plaza”?

My apologies for interjecting this important discussion about gravity.

That plaza strikes me as a missed opportunity to introduce shade as a means to make the area more inviting.  Judging by the pictures, they used a lot of concrete, which absorbs heat and will be unwelcome at the peak of summer.  There is probably a role for cooling water features, but shade (through trees or other structures) would be the more cost-effective and environmentally-friendly way of cooling down the plaza.  All that retail space would certainly benefit.

• Like 1