Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

I thought Orlando revamped everything in permitting? Was’t that Matt’s (former poster, Bungalower founder) big task while there?

Yeah they moved to digital instead of 3 sets of signed and sealed drawings stacked all over the place. It still doesn't  make any of the employees work any harder or faster unfortunately.

36 minutes ago, orlandocity87 said:

Fair points.

Still, having worked with multiple contractors in Orlando—from small to substantial home projects, both for myself and others—I can say that my experience has ranged from disorganized amateurs to straight up conmen.  

Yeah its bad. We got screwed over badly by our last contractor.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Yeah they moved to digital instead of 3 sets of signed and sealed drawings stacked all over the place. It still doesn't  make any of the employees work any harder or faster unfortunately.

Yeah its bad. We got screwed over badly by our last contractor.

Are you plugged into IVMS yet? Let Allex know if you're having permit problems and she can help get logjams un-stuck.  If she has questions, have her text me.

11 minutes ago, smileguy said:

Are you plugged into IVMS yet? Let Allex know if you're having permit problems and she can help get logjams un-stuck.  If she has questions, have her text me.

Don't think so. Honestly at this point we're probably fine with the city, its just been our contractor screwed us hard and we had to hire a new one.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2022 at 12:04 AM, codypet said:

Anyone seeing the reddit threads about Radius and mold?

Boy this resident just saved me a lot of typing. Being one of the first residents in that building I can validate EVERY SINGLE THING brought up is true. EVERYTHING. I signed up in July 2021. It’s a new building right? What could go wrong? (See above) Actually met someone who installed my kitchen cabinets and was told they were the cheapest. Luxury living? W/D, which were cheap to begin with, were water spotted like them were left out in the elements at one point. The luxury fridge, much to small to fit in the space built for it, had stainless steel coating on the outside which had jagged edges that actually drew blood at one point so I took a file and took care of that myself. I never got to take a bath because the tub stopper didn’t work and after 2 visits from the terrible rude maintenance guy and him leaving saying he would be back and the work order being closed I gave up. And on and on and on…

Well I guess I ended up typing a lot anyways. A bad experience from start to finish. I feel cheated. But that’s on me. Just moved out. Good riddance to that good looking on the outside dump. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Everything is cool now... they sold the building /s

"A new high-rise luxury apartment community that opened in downtown Orlando in 2021 sold this week in the largest multifamily deal recorded in the market this year."..."with a closing price of $155 million" per GS- https://www.growthspotter.com/news/residential-property-developments/multi-family/gs-news-radius-apartment-orlando-sells-millions-development-20221027-tnnygsm3gvdpznyppfdxltrtli-story.html

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I feel like I harped on this subject quite a few times over the years regarding low quality construction materials & longevity. So many developers seem intent on using cheap cladding materials in place of masonry, block or even prefab concrete shells. Yes, Radius was a step up using cast in place "concrete frame" instead of wood, but they still cheaped out by using that EIFS-like cladding for the exterior walls.

When I mentioned my concerns last time, ChiDev responded with this:

On 12/14/2020 at 2:47 PM, ChiDev said:

I don't think they understand the capabilities of EIFS bolted to steel stud, which itself is bolted between layers of CIP (@ Radius).    Modera and Radius are both CIP, I believe 420/520/orange and robinson are prefab (though dif types).  I am guessing 420's issues have more to do with their vertical layers & waterproofing not matching up, an issue with prefab concrete over concrete that fills gap and takes form in-place.   I agree that at 10-20 stories,  wood frame would never be able to compete with CIP in an FL wind environment, but that said, it never would given the expense of fire treated timber.

My response to that philosophy still stands:

On 12/14/2020 at 10:16 PM, nite owℓ said:

Actually I was referring to CBD  Modera as well as the other developments in the CV that are not 100% concrete.  My issue with EIFS is that it does not equate to longevity (100+ years). Towers built in the CBD should be built to last. Repeated expensive repairs on top of keeping up with normal operating expenses eventually contributes to blight. I don't recall Modera or Radius having cast in place exterior walls, if anything I distinctly remember CBD Modera polluting surrounding streets with a "snowstorm" of styrofoam as workers rasped the exterior system.

I don't care if EIFS is bolted to steel or it's wind resistance - my concern is with wind driven rain & water intrusion which can be costly and destructive if not caught in time. Concrete holds up much better during lapses in maintenance. If I were part of an investment group, I'd rather own a property like Skyhouse over Modera just to avoid any unnecessary maintenance that could have been easily avoided to begin (in spite of possible pool deck issues in the future)

I think the damage @ the G went beyond "proper maintenance" issues because I heard they also had to have their windows replaced. Only so much sealing you can do with EIFS. Concrete/prefab is the best way to go when living in FL. Don't get me wrong, I love historic stucco buildings but I'm sure those same buildings are hiding wood rot and termite damage underneath. You usually don't find out until it's too late.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Well... I feel like I harped on this subject quite a few times over the years regarding low quality construction materials & longevity. So many developers seem intent on using cheap cladding materials in place of masonry, block or even prefab concrete shells. Yes, Radius was a step up using cast in place "concrete frame" instead of wood, but they still cheaped out by using that EIFS-like cladding for the exterior walls.

When I mentioned my concerns last time, ChiDev responded with this:

My response to that philosophy still stands:

Wow.  well, maybe they never sealed the structure (windows, etc) and moisture got in and is still getting in.  Also, the AC duct work.  If that has leaks, it will create mold b/c of the condensation when chilled air hits warm air.  It could be the AC ductwork.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Jernigan said:

More retail tenants!

- Rise Southern Biscuits and Righteous Chicken

- The Mango Fresh

- Nectar Aesthetics

I saw Rise was going to open in WP - are they ALSO opening here? In the WP story, the franchisee did say he had a DT location in mind. That would be awesome! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, codypet said:

I assumed it was Work It Girl Fitness an Atlanta Based Pole Fitness Studio.  I could be wrong.

I think you're right. the map was abbreviated and there was no arrow on it...but yeah, it looks like that's it.

• 8 months later...