Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

dcluley98: I don't think it is a "bad" looking building per se, but I think our point of view is that in that location we should have a "great" building. It is so high profile due to the location and shape of the parcel with it lining up down Rosalind from downtown, so most of us and the city's Architectural Review Board had commented that the building should at least have a signature crown and a south facing facade that also included artwork. Instead, we got a typical Baker Barrios cookie-cutter design with an afterthought plaza, curtainwall facade, and mish-mash of brick/glass/parking garage. Don't get me wrong, it will be way better than a vacant lot, but a lot of us that don't like this design think it could be done way better. Architecture is pretty subjective, so you never are going to please everybody, but I just wish they tried a little harder on this one.

I get all that and agree.

But once again, it all comes down to money and the market demand.

If we waited to get something spectacular there, the site would still probably be sitting empty ten years from now.

Edited by JFW657
NOYFB
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

dcluley98: I don't think it is a "bad" looking building per se, but I think our point of view is that in that location we should have a "great" building. It is so high profile due to the location and shape of the parcel with it lining up down Rosalind from downtown, so most of us and the city's Architectural Review Board had commented that the building should at least have a signature crown and a south facing facade that also included artwork. Instead, we got a typical Baker Barrios cookie-cutter design with an afterthought plaza, curtainwall facade, and mish-mash of brick/glass/parking garage. Don't get me wrong, it will be way better than a vacant lot, but a lot of us that don't like this design think it could be done way better. Architecture is pretty subjective, so you never are going to please everybody, but I just wish they tried a little harder on this one.

I get all that and agree.

But once again, it all comes down to money and the market demand.

If we waited to get something spectacular there, the site would still probably be sitting empty ten years from now.

We waited 25 years on the duPont  II site and got.... stucco on plywood apartments!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm only speaking from experience. I stayed there about 5 years ago before I moved to Orlando. Room was disgusting and smelled like smoke despite non-smoking request, didn't really want to lay on the bed. Staff up front was unprofessional when I went and said my room smelled like smoke can I have a non-smoking one.  Somebody up all night next door doing god knows what, and got a random knock on my door in the middle of the night. My sinuses were all messed up the next day whether from smoke smell or mold or whatever in the room. 
Won't make that mistake ever again. 

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I'm only speaking from experience. I stayed there about 5 years ago before I moved to Orlando. Room was disgusting and smelled like smoke despite non-smoking request, didn't really want to lay on the bed. Staff up front was unprofessional when I went and said my room smelled like smoke can I have a non-smoking one.  Somebody up all night next door doing god knows what, and got a random knock on my door in the middle of the night. My sinuses were all messed up the next day whether from smoke smell or mold or whatever in the room. 
Won't make that mistake ever again. 

I mean, yeah, I wouldn't be mad if they replaced it with an urban Holiday Inn Express or something similar. But at 1/3 the price of anything else downtown, I can see why it's tempting for the non-AirBnB crowd.

14 minutes ago, codypet said:

What's interesting to me is it appears to always been a Travelodge.  How many places keep the brand the same like that since the 60s?

I wonder if it's corporate owned and if so, that has something to do with it. Franchise hotels are always changing affiliations. 

On 1/23/2018 at 8:34 AM, dcluley98 said:

That is a very good point, cwetteland. It is a good location and should not be a bad hotel if it is well managed. Improve what is around it, and the ownership or management may choose to invest in it to spruce it up and give it a better image.  

Or if a higher class business travel market for the place began to emerge. 

Maybe something related to the courthouse.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I wonder if it's corporate owned and if so, that has something to do with it. Franchise hotels are always changing affiliations. 

If it was corporate owned you'd think they'd take better care of it or the business case would have been long gone to keep it as corporate owned and given it to a franchisee.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The developer just closed on 2 parcels for this project (everything west of the Rosalind spur).  They expect to close on the rest within the month and per Growthspotter, are on track for a late spring/summer ground breaking. 20-21 month construction timeline from there.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

this thing is gonna look fantastic along the Livingston St. streetscape. ..and Rosalind (of course)...  But Livingston is one of those "gateway" streets into downtown (like Robinson) which is why I mentioned it.

• Like 1