Colonial Pedestrian Overpass and OUT Extension [Under Construction]

dcluley98

2 hours ago, codypet said:

Are they adding a light at Weber on Magnolia?  The stop bar implies that they are.  Also Interesting about the the Marks St diagonal crossing.

From https://www.orlando.gov/Our-Government/Departments-Offices/Transportation/Orlando-Bicycle-Beltway/Orlando-Urban-Trail-Gap:

The project will be located on the west side of Orange Avenue and north side of Weber Street, and will include the installation of a new traffic signal at the intersection of Weber Street and Magnolia Avenue.

Yes, they are adding a light at Weber and Magnolia. (this is highly needed because it is coming over a hill there and difficult for pedestrians/cyclists to cross. 

As for the Orange section, I will be interested to see the final plans for it. There already exists an "On-Street" bike lane and parallel parking. I would hope they do some sort of protected bike lane and separate sidewalk combo utilizing the space they have there with the existing bike lane and parking. We will have to see though. Typically, cyclist just use the existing bike lane there along the west side of Orange. The parking spaces are always full, but they may plan to take them out anyway to emphasize more pedestrian area and less car dependent planning. They already have multiple garages for residents that live in North Quarter apartments and the garage at Park Lake. 

I am hoping to see better renderings soon for this and the other "Gertrude's walk" planned sections so we can tell what the whole thing is going to look like by the end of 2020. (Also thought it was weird that they are making one of the remaining sections jog back over to west of Ace Cafe instead of continuing along the RR tracks. This doesn't seem to make much sense to keep going back and forth over the tracks multiple times and jogging back east and west, but then, it would somewhat connect to the planned Under-I park at Washington, so maybe that's why they planned it that way. 

• Like 1

I am hoping to see better renderings soon for this and the other "Gertrude's walk" planned sections so we can tell what the whole thing is going to look like by the end of 2020. (Also thought it was weird that they are making one of the remaining sections jog back over to west of Ace Cafe instead of continuing along the RR tracks. This doesn't seem to make much sense to keep going back and forth over the tracks multiple times and jogging back east and west, but then, it would somewhat connect to the planned Under-I park at Washington, so maybe that's why they planned it that way. 

I think the issue immediately east of Ace Cafe between Livingston and Robinson is that there’s literally just no room between it and the BOA Center parking garage, right?

I cross at that “intersection” on foot frequently and it appears to be all RR right of way.

Yea other than going down State Ln, you're limited on options.  State Ln itself only goes down 1 block and even then you'd have a mid-block crossing on Livingston east of the tracks where you're looking for busses in either direction, then you have to watch out again for cars on the public part of Livingston.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

They added a lot of new landscaping/trees to the Colonial Pedestrian Bridge park (with the orb).  Should make it look nicer, although I don't know if it is actually used much other than transients camping out.  True story-at one point there was a guy who moved into the base of the statue. Haha. Hopefully they patch up some of the grass where the trucks delivered them. 

PXL_20230531_154632283.thumb.jpg.53eeb33de601a336ccbad3c65dfca041.jpg

PXL_20230531_154615611.thumb.jpg.83077f627ed3a4d6876be5ef4977fef7.jpg

PXL_20230531_163124017.thumb.jpg.72d98225c05ef13666d24b7e0346ccc7.jpg

• Like 4

Any trees are better than no trees but those aren't much to get excited bout.

Too many palms and whatever those  little ones are, look like the kind that will still be scraggly and only about half again as big ten years from now.

The ones that don't die, anyway. 

I'm underwhelmed.  

On 6/1/2023 at 10:24 AM, Uncommon said:

I would love for it to be a dog park.

Seems a bit too secluded for people to feel safe, but if done right that would be a nice amenity for nearby residents. The added bonus of having a popular/active dog park is that it would also discourage vagrancy.

34 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Seems a bit too secluded for people to feel safe, but if done right that would be a nice amenity for nearby residents. The added bonus of having a popular/active dog park is that it would also discourage vagrancy.

I would love for all the bums in Orlando to just up and move to Tampa.

Whoops, I'm not supposed to say that out loud.