Colonial Pedestrian Overpass and OUT Extension [Under Construction]

dcluley98

Supposed to be done "Fall of 2018" or so, So I expect it will be going on for about a year and delays from now.  Cool to see actual work starting though.  I will keep the forum updated as progress happens with the span and suspension pillar, lighting, etc. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just noticed the pedestrian bridge pylons as I drove by today.  impressive.

a far cry from what Colonial looked like, say, 5 years ago, before Steelhouse.  What a dump.  Now, with new bridges and new developments since then, it's making a complete turnaround.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Update on Pedestrian bridge. . . all of the approach support pillars appear to be complete. Formwork for the main span support has begun. New crane and equipment on site.

No work yet on the north side of Colonial. They still haven't relocated the overhead powerlines, however, there was a directional bore machine parked in the easement west of Steelhouse today. I suspect that is for running the underground power conduit under Colonial to bury the wires. 

20170901_165623.jpg

20170901_170049.jpg

20170901_170110.jpg

20170901_182540.jpg

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, John Hargrove said:

OUT is easily one of the greatest things DTO can do for making it a good place to live. The city needs to seriously commit to making it a real trail. Trees, bike repair stations, fountains, emergency call boxes, safe crossings, police bike patrols, etc. What a difference it could make.

360° loops....

t2-2d4b6.gif

Sorry.... :rolleyes:

• Like 4

8 hours ago, John Hargrove said:

OUT is easily one of the greatest things DTO can do for making it a good place to live. The city needs to seriously commit to making it a real trail. Trees, bike repair stations, fountains, emergency call boxes, safe crossings, police bike patrols, etc. What a difference it could make.

While I agree with you about the importance of the OUT, I would vote more for greater connectivity of the trail system in general as opposed to spending so much for just one portion.  The pedestrian bridge here is a lot of money, but is more of a statement piece. I think I would rather see them connect the rest of the network with the actual trails themselves than bridges, infrastructure, and landscaping. 

We have a great base system of trails here in Central Florida, but they need to be better connected. I think the OUT is great; I ride it at least once a week, probably, but it is only about 4.3 miles out of a much larger system. IMO the CadyWay connectivity to downtown is more important. 

We started a trails thread a while back here. Some good insight on that. Connectivity is the biggest thing with these projects, as a strong backbone is key to get people to use the system on a regular basis. The bridges and other amenities are great, but the money would be better spent on just making the trail system itself in some areas! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

While I agree with you about the importance of the OUT, I would vote more for greater connectivity of the trail system in general as opposed to spending so much for just one portion.  The pedestrian bridge here is a lot of money, but is more of a statement piece. I think I would rather see them connect the rest of the network with the actual trails themselves than bridges, infrastructure, and landscaping. 

We have a great base system of trails here in Central Florida, but they need to be better connected. I think the OUT is great; I ride it at least once a week, probably, but it is only about 4.3 miles out of a much larger system. IMO the CadyWay connectivity to downtown is more important. 

We started a trails thread a while back here. Some good insight on that. Connectivity is the biggest thing with these projects, as a strong backbone is key to get people to use the system on a regular basis. The bridges and other amenities are great, but the money would be better spent on just making the trail system itself in some areas! 

Completely agree. And the trail should be a trail, not a bike line on a road pretending to be a trail. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Latest Update to Pedestrian Bridge project. The Main Pillar for the span is being formed and poured on the south side of Colonial. Ramp supports are in for the walkway up to the span from Colonial. North of Colonial, work has begun on utilities relocate, with directional bore done and an underground vault installed presumably for power equipment. Conduit on site to run underground. Here are the pics:

Overview of main site on South side of Colonial showing new main pillar and ramp:

20171012_172532_1507849981827.jpg

Utilities work started on North and West sides of Steelhouse: 

20171012_172945_1507850013531.jpg

20171012_172810_1507849999554.jpg

20171012_172848_1507849999756.jpg

20171012_173225_1507850014100.jpg

20171012_173140_1507850013862.jpg

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That is indeed tragic. Structural engineers check, recheck, and three-check their numbers all the time. We only hear about things like this when the worst occurs. It is still too early to determine the cause of that failure, could be engineering or construction flaws. Either way, it was horrible.

This is a much more traditional design, and there have been numerous similar designs in the past. I would not worry about it. 

Edited by dcluley98

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...