Sign in to follow this  
dcluley98

Colonial Pedestrian Overpass and OUT Extension [Under Construction]

dcluley98    534

Supposed to be done "Fall of 2018" or so, So I expect it will be going on for about a year and delays from now.  Cool to see actual work starting though.  I will keep the forum updated as progress happens with the span and suspension pillar, lighting, etc. 

• Like 2

John Hargrove    655

Driving through downtown on I-4 and over 50 is pretty exciting. So great to see all this steel and concrete rising out of the earth. Long overdue and a great improvement for the area. 

• Like 1

jrs2    376

I just noticed the pedestrian bridge pylons as I drove by today.  impressive.

a far cry from what Colonial looked like, say, 5 years ago, before Steelhouse.  What a dump.  Now, with new bridges and new developments since then, it's making a complete turnaround.

• Like 3

dcluley98    534

Update on Pedestrian bridge. . . all of the approach support pillars appear to be complete. Formwork for the main span support has begun. New crane and equipment on site.

No work yet on the north side of Colonial. They still haven't relocated the overhead powerlines, however, there was a directional bore machine parked in the easement west of Steelhouse today. I suspect that is for running the underground power conduit under Colonial to bury the wires. 

20170901_165623.jpg

20170901_170049.jpg

20170901_170110.jpg

20170901_182540.jpg

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 4

JFW657    1082
8 hours ago, John Hargrove said:

OUT is easily one of the greatest things DTO can do for making it a good place to live. The city needs to seriously commit to making it a real trail. Trees, bike repair stations, fountains, emergency call boxes, safe crossings, police bike patrols, etc. What a difference it could make.

360° loops....

t2-2d4b6.gif

Sorry.... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

dcluley98    534
8 hours ago, John Hargrove said:

OUT is easily one of the greatest things DTO can do for making it a good place to live. The city needs to seriously commit to making it a real trail. Trees, bike repair stations, fountains, emergency call boxes, safe crossings, police bike patrols, etc. What a difference it could make.

While I agree with you about the importance of the OUT, I would vote more for greater connectivity of the trail system in general as opposed to spending so much for just one portion.  The pedestrian bridge here is a lot of money, but is more of a statement piece. I think I would rather see them connect the rest of the network with the actual trails themselves than bridges, infrastructure, and landscaping. 

We have a great base system of trails here in Central Florida, but they need to be better connected. I think the OUT is great; I ride it at least once a week, probably, but it is only about 4.3 miles out of a much larger system. IMO the CadyWay connectivity to downtown is more important. 

We started a trails thread a while back here. Some good insight on that. Connectivity is the biggest thing with these projects, as a strong backbone is key to get people to use the system on a regular basis. The bridges and other amenities are great, but the money would be better spent on just making the trail system itself in some areas! 

• Like 1

John Hargrove    655
2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

While I agree with you about the importance of the OUT, I would vote more for greater connectivity of the trail system in general as opposed to spending so much for just one portion.  The pedestrian bridge here is a lot of money, but is more of a statement piece. I think I would rather see them connect the rest of the network with the actual trails themselves than bridges, infrastructure, and landscaping. 

We have a great base system of trails here in Central Florida, but they need to be better connected. I think the OUT is great; I ride it at least once a week, probably, but it is only about 4.3 miles out of a much larger system. IMO the CadyWay connectivity to downtown is more important. 

We started a trails thread a while back here. Some good insight on that. Connectivity is the biggest thing with these projects, as a strong backbone is key to get people to use the system on a regular basis. The bridges and other amenities are great, but the money would be better spent on just making the trail system itself in some areas! 

Completely agree. And the trail should be a trail, not a bike line on a road pretending to be a trail. 

• Like 4

AndyPok1    209

I agree that connectivity is the most important.  That 1 mile gap between Cady Way and Little Econ pisses me off to no end.

• Like 2