Colonial Pedestrian Overpass and OUT Extension [Under Construction]

dcluley98

22 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

They could start by not scheduling delivery during rush hour, and then, I don't know, maybe not park a tractor trailer across 4 lanes of traffic under a green light. Just a few options to think about. 

They take all of your concerns into account where I live, in LA, and it takes double the time and money to get anything done.

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Ah it uses the existing ramps in the Skyhouse garage - brilliant cost saving move!

Not sure if serious, but it has its own CIP ramp going north outside of SteelHouse. It just isn't built yet. They are finishing the CIP Pillars now, but deck ramps aren't being done yet, so it looks weird on the photo. 

The color of the Overpass won't happen, but they have some lighting planned for the pillar that will make it stand out at night. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gibby said:

I also went by today and it looks sharp.  I wonder if we'll get a mast arm traffic signal at that location with the I-4 work.  Those dangling cables look horrible next to the nice bridge.

You will.  Some of the mast arm is already up on the northbound approach.  The new design is a SPUI so you'll have the intersection moved a good bit to the west under I-4 itself.

• Like 1

Some more photos from this morning from the SteelHouse garage.  The north ramp will be running down the easement west of the SteelHouse in between the garage and the RR tracks. The workers are curently forming the last support pillars for the approach ramp, which will be about 20 feet from the garage. 

20180716_082611_1531745963110.thumb.jpg.c411896a70576828089b7d5dbfcb1b92.jpg

20180716_082549_1531745963388.jpg

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

SPUI? That sounds naughty *giggles*

(Yes, some days I'm still 12.)

Single Point Urban Interchange.  Sorry I talk in code when it relates to highway design.

Notable SPUI's in the area are 434&414, 436&50, 436&17-92, JYP&OSP

Coming soon 50&I-4, 436&I-4, JYP&482

One thing I missed with all this construction in that corner is what appears to be a new grade crossing truss in the foreground of dcluley98's photo.   I assume this was needed because SR 50 WB is getting realigned to the north.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CodyPet, they are making the stacking lanes for Colonial onto I-4 on the property south of SteelHouse. The intersection will increast to 5 lanes total westbound at the RR crossing and under the I-4 overpasses. Currently it is 2 WB and 3 EB at the RR grade crossing. The new signal tower truss you see in the foreground is made to accomodate this new RR grade crossing configuration. There are foundations for mast poles in the north ROW easement just south of SteelHouse that have been installed for new Signage for the I-4 interchange and there will be all new mast style signalization. (no more ugly wire-hangers). It will be a much more efficient design as well and reduce problems of traffic backing up due to SunRail, eliminate antiquated clover-leaf and reduce accidents. 

Colonial I-4 Improvements.jpg

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, gibby said:

Would a bridge like this support a 5k run, about 50-100 people running across it at the same time, for example?

That bridge is designed for much higher loads than 100 people at a time. 

I looked at some of our old books on the shelf and did a quick Google search, both of which seem to jive with each other.  The minimum live load for a ped bridge would be 85lb/sqft.  The assumption being that the average person would take up 2 sq. feet each.  I'm not sure how calcs would vary for the pressure that running would add, but generally speaking a run would increase the typical person's square footage and not decrease it, because you need more than 2 sq. feet to lift your legs and run and only need 2 to stand still.  That would assume that each person weighed 170lbs in their personal space, but the good news about the population getting heavier would be that they also would take up more physical space, so may 3 or 4 sq. feet?

FDOT says 85 is their minimum for ped bridges.

http://www.fdot.gov/structures/structuresmanual/2007january/DesignGuidelines/SDG2.13PedLiveLoadonPedBrdgs.htm

I'd take a wild guess and say they are actually rated much higher, especially in the form of a box truss bridge like this is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also note that this truss will have suspension cable support, which is not yet installed, to increase the load capacity. If you look closely at the top of the pillar, there are 6 steel cable attachment points that will connect to the span of the truss. Additionally of note, if you zoom in on the bottom of the pillar, you can see that they have installed the precast stair tower for access from the planned plaza at the base of the bridge to the truss. 

1972002241_TrussandTower.thumb.jpg.bf8a8c6a7693e58f262389d1a5a3c755.jpg

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

I will use it too, as I am sure many cyclists/joggers will. For one thing, it beats waiting for the light. For another thing, it adds a "hill" to a route for cyclists/walkers/joggers who are out for exercise. Lastly, you may be looking at it now and think, "Great, a bridge in the middle of nowhere, nobody is gonna use that." What you are not seeing is what this means for the future connection of the pedestrian network and the future development around the area. As Andy points out above, it is the key to connecting DT to the OUT with a fully dedicated multi-use trail separated from traffic, as opposed to just bike lanes (and not even bike lanes on South Orange). Additionally, the Creative Village and planned developments around the Lynx Central Station will greatly increase the potential population around the trail and the utility of the trail. Finally, the potential park under I-4 is another catalyst for the utility of the trail. All of these things are synergistic in creating a network of green pathways, parks, and public transit.

If you look at it as a single cost with a pessimistic mindset, it may look like an expensive waste of resources at this time. If you look at it over the lifetime of the asset with the other synergistic effects mentioned above, it looks like a great project and worthwile investment of funds, IMO. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 3