Colonial Pedestrian Overpass and OUT Extension [Under Construction]

dcluley98

I am looking at it as a recreational bridge not an actual commuter bridge.  Then, it is a good investment. Hopefully they will do heavy landscaping on the ground like the pedestrian bridge at Universal studio to create a destination and not like the bridge that crossed I4 that they took down.

It is nice to have.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm very excited about this - I'm on the OUT several times a week and look forward to a nice route toward downtown.  It won't reach it's potential until they finish the link to Gertrudes walk without going on the streets, but based on the amount of Orange bikes I see on the OUT and around the bars on Virginia on weekends, I think quite a few people from downtown will use it to connect the two parts of town - especially when it reaches all the way down to Church St 

20 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

CodyPet, they are making the stacking lanes for Colonial onto I-4 on the property south of SteelHouse. The intersection will increast to 5 lanes total westbound at the RR crossing and under the I-4 overpasses. Currently it is 2 WB and 3 EB at the RR grade crossing. The new signal tower truss you see in the foreground is made to accomodate this new RR grade crossing configuration. There are foundations for mast poles in the north ROW easement just south of SteelHouse that have been installed for new Signage for the I-4 interchange and there will be all new mast style signalization. (no more ugly wire-hangers). It will be a much more efficient design as well and reduce problems of traffic backing up due to SunRail, eliminate antiquated clover-leaf and reduce accidents. 

Colonial I-4 Improvements.jpg

That what I was trying to explain too.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.

18 hours ago, sunshine said:

Would anybody use this bridge?

I just want to cross 50 faster.

Yes I bike up Magnolia to get to work, and have to bike down Orange to go home.  Right now I have to ride down the parking area on the left side of Orange because there's really no other safe place to ride.  The courthouse loses that parking area.  I'll be taking this trail going southbound.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, sunshine said:

Those cage design is so dated already. Imagine if they but cages all along NYC High Line.

NYC pedestrian bridges that span highways and avenues with multiple car lanes use protective fencing. 

It serves two purposes: preventing suicide attempts and more often, obstructing pedestrians from throwing objects down into a heavily trafficked cooridor.

I do agree that aesthetically, it’s not very exciting. Overall though, a net gain.

Well the bridge is mean for recreation and some sort of icon to the city, they can at least put some money and design into it especially it is such a short span. What is a million dollar more to a couple billions highway bill?

Now it is going to become a backdrop of people political statement, even worse when they put pop can to spell words, both democrats and republicans.

This is my fav part of the Highline...it is a "place making" design.

image.png.bdcb430b8e2e5505f8075114f5c6951f.png

• Like 1

It is odd to me to spend 9 million to build a bridge to cross one intersection to begin with. I just hate to see wasted opportunity to create something unique. This along with not building dedicated bike lane at Creative Village for long range plan when you building it from scratch or putting loading zone between the lake and the store when you can have a lakefront facing store amazed me.

I agree with you on dedicated lanes for bikes. Also, the $9.3 million is quite high, but it is part of the signature "Backbone" network for the trail system. The main OUT/Gertrudes Walk, and recently announced South Connectors and the Downtown Connector trail along Anderson we discussed in the other "Trails/Infrastructure" thread are all meant to create a universal "Bicycle Beltway" in the city, from which secondary/tertiary trails and routes would branch off.  This is all mostly DOT/State money, not local money, and meant to built a more universal system to increase use.  

Here's some more info: http://bikewalkcentralflorida.org/2018/09/28/orlando-bicycle-beltway-one-step-closer-to-becoming-a-reality/

When you look at $9.3 Million in state dollars for an integral part of this overall vision, it doesn't seem like a high price tag if overall network gets built out and used more, especially with CV and the Lynx Central station so close by along with several large planned developments in Midtown area. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Lights were on the pillar tower of the pedestrian bridge last night. They cycled through various colors such as green, yellow, orange, red, purple. Not sure what the plan is for the display, but it is capable of multi-colors. Railings are going on the main ramps up to the bridge as well. Tried to get a photo of the lights, but they are not on this evening. 

8 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Lights were on the pillar tower of the pedestrian bridge last night. They cycled through various colors such as green, yellow, orange, red, purple. Not sure what the plan is for the display, but it is capable of multi-colors. Railings are going on the main ramps up to the bridge as well. Tried to get a photo of the lights, but they are not on this evening. 

“cycled through?” I see what you did there *giggles*

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:57 AM, HankStrong said:

You are strangely passionate about the oddest things. 

I'm also fairly sure that this is get people on a continuous trail, not to make a political statement.

I agree with Sunshine on this...its the details that a city apart from anywhere USA. That being said, its a decent bridge design. Nothing flashy or edgy but nice. That sums up the difference between NYC and most other cities (not just Orlando)

I just wished they had used an iconic color on the bridge to showcase it more...but i'll take it.

• Like 1