Colonial Pedestrian Overpass and OUT Extension [Under Construction]

dcluley98

So little did I know this, but I did some digging.  The trail is built out from the bridge south to Amelia already.  Then there's a crosswalk that's been added to the east side of the tracks and the trail continues on the east side of the tracks.  So my question is why did they go through all this trouble crossing the tracks at Colonial only for you to have to get back east of them again, and then once again go back west at Jefferson?

3 hours ago, codypet said:

So little did I know this, but I did some digging.  The trail is built out from the bridge south to Amelia already.  Then there's a crosswalk that's been added to the east side of the tracks and the trail continues on the east side of the tracks.  So my question is why did they go through all this trouble crossing the tracks at Colonial only for you to have to get back east of them again, and then once again go back west at Jefferson?

I think crossing the tracks wasn’t the purpose of the bridge but crossing Colonial. The bridge couldn’t  stay on the Orange side of the tracks because of buildings there, so they built it over them to the public land on the other side. The trail throught DTO crosses the tracks multiple times and even exists in both sides at times.

Edited by WAJAS98

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Tom Terry should do all hurricane reports from there!   YOU ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!  THIS IS THE WHOPPER!  HUNKER DOWN!  WE'RE GONERS!

It’s interesting that I’ve lived in Florida for most of my sixty years and if the TV weathermen (and the men seem to be worse about it than the women) are to be believed, I should have been dead several times over. It truly is stunning.

They still don't have the suspension cables on the main span yet. There are attachments for 6 steel cables that go from the top of the pillar to about the middle of the main span, in 3 pairs. I thought they were going to install them when they shut down Colonial for the night pours in the span.  I hope the cables will have lighting along with the pillar - really want to see what the final lighting effect will be. Could look quite dramatic.  I hope it does end up cool looking at night with final light package similar to the iconic Sunshine Skyway bridge from my old hometown stomping grounds (albeit on a much smaller scale): 

Skyway.jpg

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...