Colonial Pedestrian Overpass and OUT Extension [Under Construction]

dcluley98

Yeah, looks great. Was changing colors for the whole spectrum from green to yellow to orange to red to purple and back around. 

Notice the Uplight too on the inside of the pillar around the stairs. There will be uplights in the middle of the cage, and maybe some uplights on the steel cables. Cables have been installed on the back-end of the span, but not on the main span yet. There will be 6 cable attachments, 3 on each side. 

This looks great as a statement piece on I-4 going through town!

• Like 4

Okay, time for a little touch of criticism.

First of all, I like the tower, but I'm not a big fan of the curve in it. I'm not a big fan of vertically oriented curves in buildings and structures in general. I don't know why, I just think it looks superfluous and detracts from the appearance more than it enhances it. JMHO.

Secondly, what's up with that little notch where the top section meets the uprights?

outbridgenotch.jpg

What's the point of that? It looks like the section doesn't fit right and it's about to topple over and fall off. 

Wouldn't it look better if the edge line of the curve was smooth and uninterrupted?

Maybe they'll fill that in.

But all in all, like everyone else, I think it's an awesome addition to the downtown streetscape.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Yeah, looks great. Was changing colors for the whole spectrum from green to yellow to orange to red to purple and back around. 

Notice the Uplight too on the inside of the pillar around the stairs. There will be uplights in the middle of the cage, and maybe some uplights on the steel cables. Cables have been installed on the back-end of the span, but not on the main span yet. There will be 6 cable attachments, 3 on each side. 

This looks great as a statement piece on I-4 going through town!

saw it last night from I-4.  the bridge was lit up.  The big vertical tower had the oscillating LED display.  Very bright.

I am impressed.  I am impressed how even some of these low rise structures are adorned with accent lighting.  Even Crescent does on the west face of their garage.

On 3/4/2019 at 11:42 AM, Urban25 said:

A few months? Orlando really takes forever to construct the most simplistic infrastructure.

The Sears Tower was built in a little over 2 years from April 1971- May 1973.    That's just amazing.

Now compare that mass and bulk and compare it to Florida standards of taking their sweet @ss time on stuff.

4 hours ago, jrs2 said:

The Sears Tower was built in a little over 2 years from April 1971- May 1973.    That's just amazing.

Now compare that mass and bulk and compare it to Florida standards of taking their sweet @ss time on stuff.

Exactly, we don’t have a structure over 500ft but projects still take forever to finish. 

On 3/1/2019 at 11:52 AM, Xander said:

A few months? :tw_dissapointed: I was hoping it'd be done sooner. I really like the bridge, though. It's a great gateway feature that'll help encourage a safer way for foot traffic. 

They did fund a connector from it to Gertrude's Walk, right?

It sort of puts in perspective how well the I-4 project is going.   21 mile rebuild of an in-use highway and they are halfway done and only a few months behind as of now 

1 hour ago, codypet said:

They're more than a few months behind, and have some serious budget issues.  My sources tell me you're going to start seeing some serious MOT schemes in the coming months trying to get this back on track.

Well I know the traffic is definitely getting worse and worse. :tw_expressionless:

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2019 at 12:32 PM, codypet said:

They're more than a few months behind, and have some serious budget issues.  My sources tell me you're going to start seeing some serious MOT schemes in the coming months trying to get this back on track.

Go on!

On 3/6/2019 at 1:51 PM, Jernigan said:

It sort of puts in perspective how well the I-4 project is going.   21 mile rebuild of an in-use highway and they are halfway done and only a few months behind as of now 

Last I saw it was 8 months and $100M over budget, unless that has changed the Sentinel reported on it. Going great!
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/i-4-makeover/os-i4-construction-delay-overrun-20180712-story.html

15 minutes ago, YimbyOrlando said:

Last I saw it was 8 months and $100M over budget, unless that has changed the Sentinel reported on it. Going great!

Haven't seen any updates.  The $100M seemed huge until you figure that it's less than 4 1/2 % over.   I wasn't surprised at the 8 months either.  It kicked off at the same time everything else did.  DPAC, OIA expansion, etc.   They were hiring heavy equipment operators with no experience and offering OJT.   

• Like 1

Yeah I based my comment over that amount of delay - still in completion year 2021 (for now).

I am more curious about the MOT schemes.  I know they created the “3+1” concept with the new lane for Princeton/Par/Fairbanks because they are mandated to keep 4 travel lanes open and had to do daytime work.  Wondering if we will see more things like that.

Millenia is about to get that.  The surprise for me is the cluster they're going to unleash at SR 408 with having to exit onto Gore for access to SR 408 from I-4.  The original plan was to use the new bridges, but their delay is and subsequent need to demo the old bridge over I-4 is causing drastic measures.