Trails / Bicycle Infrastructure

WAJAS

1 hour ago, codypet said:

At the UCF tailgate those bikes were thrown everywhere.  Where I parked in the garage some of them were on the 2nd and 3rd floors leaning over the walls.  I hope this doesn't end up being a big mess a la Southpark and the scooters.

I was in Dallas about a month ago and the scooters were strewn everywhere. Not saying that will necessarily be the case here. 

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

• Like 1

Anecdotally I was in DC and San Diego and they were rarely in the way.  In DC, I was actually frustrated because there were numerous times I wanted one to make the 13 minute walk to the metro only take 5, but the closest scoot was like a 7 minute walk as it is.

Also, that second picture shows how you're supposed to park them.  Out of the walking paths.  That one is how it should be done

Edited by AndyPok1

South Park made an episode about the lack of scooter etiquette. Mr Mackey becomes "The Grinch", collects all the scooters in town and dumps them off a mountain into the abyss. I've read articles about cities rounding up scooters and impounding them since they are carelessly being littered in public areas. IMO anything dock-less is bound to be abused -- especially when there is no way to hold people accountable for their actions.

grinch.jpg

Edited by nite owℓ

2 hours ago, codypet said:

My office is in uptown and the Lymmo doesn't come nearly frequently enough and doesn't go far enough downtown for lunch.  A bike ride is perfect.

Sorry I meant Naqiy who is connecting from a bus.   I agree about bikes being better than LYMMO and would love to see the Lymmo lanes become marked as Lymmo/bike lanes.  Of course we’d need dedicated lanes in NQ too.

12 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Just out of curiosity, where do you end up in downtown that’s so far removed from the bus service?  I’d imagine having these in other areas along orange, 50, etc will be even more useful as last mile vehicles 

I live near Lake Underhill and commute from UCF, there's hourly bus service but it's faster to use one of these for the last mile instead of connecting from 50.  Great idea about dual use LYMMO/Bike Lanes; in Denver  the 16th street mall is a dual pedestrian and bus street which I loved.

• Like 1

Speak of the devil. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-ucf-share-bikes-and-scooters-20181121-story.html

There are Lime bikes at Lake Como Park.  Juice had temporarily had docks at Barley and Vine and over in front of the now abandoned Walgreen's on Curry Ford.  I don't believe they're there anymore.  I'm curious if Lime will end up in my yard given that there's a bus stop in my front yard.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OMBP currently building new Single-track addition, with new trail expected to open this month. Great job to the volunteers helping to build and maintain this local Mountain Bike park. It isn't the best park in Central Florida yet, but we keep trying to improve it to make it better!  

Check out the photos of the new build and structures: 
https://bit.ly/2CIufWA

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you’re out riding around and need some unscheduled work on your bike, the Orlando Bike Coalition and its partners have installed a fix-it station in Gaston Edwards Park:

https://bungalower.com/2019/04/11/orlando-bike-coalition-unveils-new-bicycle-fixit-station-in-ivanhoe/

From Bungalower

From YouTube/FOX (the fact my favorite movie of all time now belongs to Disney makes me very happy)

Edited by spenser1058

There is a Bike Plan Update meeting scheduled for today at 6 P.M. (It's way out in Lake Nona though, go figure). This is the last of 3 open house meetings to discuss the City of Orlando and Orange County Bicycle Plan and discuss completion of gaps for conncectivity. 

https://www.orlando.gov/Events/Bike-Plan-Update-Public-Meeting-April-17-2019

https://www.orlando.gov/Initiatives/Bicycle-Plan-Update

If anybody can attend, please discuss the remaining gaps we all are hoping for, such as the OUT gaps we have discussed previously on other thread, and the Bicycle Beltway/Downtown Connector/Maguire-Airport Gap and the "Greenway Gap" upthread that is supposed to connect the Cady Way/Baldwin Park trails to the Little Econ Greenway. 

FINAL-Orlando-Bike-Plan-Meeting-Flyer-031119.jpg

Edited by dcluley98

So I asked the director of the Orlando Bike Plan about their online survey to provide feedback for the bike plan for their upcoming update. The link on their website was not working. He was appreciative of the desire for feedback and provided an updated link for the survey: https://www.menti.com/5df4b9d5

If you are interested, provide them with some feedback and comments to help make our Orlando Bike Plan and Trail System better! 

• Thanks 1

My dad and I just rode 21 miles of the "Tricycle" trail in the overall Greenway/Santos system but further west from Ross Prairie to Pruitt campground. It's a pretty easy canopied MTB trail that is good for beginners (but pretty long) with an additional option for some slightly more challenging terrain on the "Razorback Ridge" section. The Greenway is a leftover from the abandoned Cross-Florida Barge Canal project and includes miles of ROW and some leftover dirt mounds and dips from the proposed canal project that has turned into some of the best "Mountain" biking areas of the state. Nature took back over from where "progress" left off, and there are many beautiful sights along the way. The area features several natural Florida habitats including Florida Scrub, Pine Scrub/Forest, Live-Oak Hammocks, and Prairies along the way. They are also completing a paved trail along most of the Greenway for those who do not go into the dirt and hills. 

Here is a picture of a nice section of Old Florida live-oak canopy along the Tricycle trail:

20190421_143922.jpg

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1