Trails / Bicycle Infrastructure

WAJAS

Put your 2c in on the OC Trails Master Plan:

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/08/26/orange-county-parks-and-rec-looking-for-public-comment-on-trails-master-plan

From Orlando Weekly 

Word is, if you complete the form nicely, you could win an 8” x 10” glossy of @dcluley98 or @Jolly Roger's Crackers out on the trail!

• Like 2

On 8/26/2020 at 8:14 PM, spenser1058 said:

Word is, if you complete the form nicely, you could win an 8” x 10” glossy of @dcluley98 or @Jolly Roger's Crackers out on the trail!

Preliminary photo discovered on the web:

53008wide.jpg

Please note that I no longer require training wheels. Also...I wish Cady Way was paved in wood planks (and not concrete). Happy weekend everybody. Cheers.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers
  • Haha 4

On 8/8/2020 at 6:43 PM, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:
On 8/7/2020 at 9:25 PM, codypet said:

Anyone notice the sidewalk still necks down narrow at the Sheltair building?

Yeah. I noticed that. There is a fire hydrant at that corner (and perhaps other underground utilities) that probably factored in. Cheers.

Went by there today. There were work crews on scene and it looks like the fire hydrant has been removed [EDIT: the hydrant was not removed...it was simply relocated several feet and is now out of the way] and workers were rearranging things about three feet below ground (addressing utility concerns I assume).  It looks like the city is gonna widen that Executive Airport crossing at Livingston/Sheltair. That is a good thing. The area between Fairgreen and Colonial is plowed up (mostly) but some power poles and signs are gonna have to come down for that short section to work (as a rideable area of trail). I guess we'll see. Cheers. JRC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I know all of our cyclist are normally careful, but the was a cyclist death reported in the Baldwin area today. So be extra careful, please...

This is very sad news. I first saw it early this morning. Apparently no vehicles were involved. RIP to the cyclist and condolences to all who knew this person. Be safe and ride safe everybody. Cheers.

AT LAST progress has begun on the reconstruction of the Cady Way Bridge. I biked out to Forsyth Rd today (to have a look) and work crews

were on site building with the help of a really large crane to lift the wooden pilings. See attached photo of said crane:

Sandhillcrane463.jpg

Sorry. Couldn't help myself :tw_smirk:.  (The above photo is actually of my third cousin's neighbor's brother-in-law named Darryl).

There was (in fact) a large mechanical crane on site and it appears that we will be cruising Cady Way Trail in its entirety again very soon.

Happy Weekend and Cheers! JRC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

AT LAST progress has begun on the reconstruction of the Cady Way Bridge. I biked out to Forsyth Rd today (to have a look) and work crews

were on site building with the help of a really large crane to lift the wooden pilings. See attached photo of said crane:

Sandhillcrane463.jpg

Sorry. Couldn't help myself :tw_smirk:.  (The above photo is actually of my third cousin's neighbor's brother-in-law named Darryl).

There was (in fact) a large mechanical crane on site and it appears that we will be cruising Cady Way Trail in its entirety again very soon.

Happy Weekend and Cheers! JRC.

I'm Darryl, this is my brother Darryl, this is my other brother Darryl.

Checked out the Cady Way Bridge again today. It looks done. I had a look (from the glorious Aloma sidewalk) and the span has been fully restored. There were a couple of workers  walking back and forth on it. Barricade fencing was still up, however (maybe last minute inspections?). Hopefully it will open very soon. I'll investigate again on Friday. Cheers.

• Like 2

Went up to the bridge again today. The area is STILL fenced off...but the bridge is complete. Someone posted a photo on REDDIT:

k4zahdmx6rn51.jpg

There are new areas of poured concrete but the wood looks just as it did before. This view is from the east. I do not see the memorial for the two boys (RIP) on the left. I wonder if it was temporarily removed?  Obviously a bit of excess material laying around. Hopefully it will open soon. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good news, folks! I'd emailed Orange County Parks about an ETA for the Cady Way Bridge re-opening on Thursday. I just heard back this morning that the bridge passed final inspection late yesterday afternoon and is now OPEN. So.....shake your tail feathers, dust off your bike, head to the trail and ride it like you stole it! Cheers!

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

A few brief trail updates. The Underhill connection from OEA to Fairgreen Street is almost done. There is a small area at the OEA entrance (at Livingston) that needs to be addressed (the fire hydrant section)...but the rest of it is complete. ALSO...the city has planted a boatload of trees on that stretch.  Some Crepes (and other species) have been planted on both sides (when space has allowed it) about every 15-18 feet...but also a few 15 foot mature palms have been placed there at the intersections. Construction from Fairgreen to Colonial is a mixed bag. Two Thirds is gonna be "trail width" but the last 50 yards (towards Colonial) looks like it is gonna be existing sidewalk (due to light poles, etc).  Cady Way Bridge is OPEN as I'd mentioned in an earlier post. Also...the Cross Seminole "Layer Elementary Gap" seems to be stalled (for some reason). No updates there. I'll post again when news is available. Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Have you ridden the Greenway recently, JRC? 

I was hoping they would build the Greenway gap south of the Wal-mart during the pandemic. Haven't been out that way lately myself and wanted to do that ride again. 

I ride Little Econ once every few months (from Cady Way). Gonna try to hit it again this weekend (weather permitting). That gap is right there for the taking...but nothing has been done thus far. I don't know what the hold up is. Obviously the 436 bridge/overpass (that is/was planned) is gonna be quite an undertaking...but the space is there for a trail from Baldwin Park (at 436) to the trail at Partidge/Forsyth. It would be just along a ditch (tributary to the Econ?) that has plenty of interrupted space for a trail from Semoran to Forsyth. The space is there already.  I don't when when it is gonna be started. I could actually live without the 436 flyover (at least for now) to avoid biking down Hanging Moss Rd. But...still....(jarring sidewalk and hair-raising road ventures be damned)...biking those few golden miles of the the Little Econ Greenway (along the river) is worth it all. Cheers.

• Like 1