Trails / Bicycle Infrastructure

WAJAS

Saw a few signs along the Cady Way Trail the last few days and dug up this:

Cady Way Little Econ Connection Bridge

Fingers crossed. Cheers.

p.s. Thanks for the Urban Trail news,  dcluley98. ANY improvements there are most welcome. Cheers.

p.s.s. Could somebody please vacuum/sweep the acorn debris out of the Livingston Street bike lanes? Man...I nearly flipped and flopped over riding there this week..it's like biking on marbles. Oh well...I digress. Happy weekend folks. Cheers.

• Like 2

Unsurprisingly OC's website not that useful:

Virtual Meeting Room: https://vmr.vhb.com/v/531BwBJozBL

Survey: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=mV5cNo_260uJ2avstBsaG1Q4S3XoIm1KkaLbiXdiZElUN1NCRkdSRlY0VFVUQTJGNzhaOERLN1IzSy4u

General Info: http://www.ocfl.net/CultureParks/Parks.aspx?m=dtlvw&d=131#.X7v9ZGhKj-h

--

Got two days left to submit survey responses.  I ranked the options 2, 3 (no-build), 1.  But I emphasized that the MOST important thing is to finish building the gap.  I'd love a bridge, but I'd settle for at-grade for a few years if it meant avoiding Hanging Moss.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Got two days left to submit survey responses.  I ranked the options 2, 3 (no-build), 1.  But I emphasized that the MOST important thing is to finish building the gap.  I'd love a bridge, but I'd settle for at-grade for a few years if it meant avoiding Hanging Moss.

Ditto on that. I submitted the same. Cheers.

On 11/21/2020 at 5:09 PM, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

p.s.s. Could somebody please vacuum/sweep the acorn debris out of the Livingston Street bike lanes? Man...I nearly flipped and flopped over riding there this week..it's like biking on marbles. Oh well...I digress. Happy weekend folks. Cheers.

I submitted your request via the see, click, fix app as a traffic safety issue. Shouldn't be too hard to send a street sweeper down  the road, eh?  Let us know if the city bites and cleans them up!

• Like 2

On 11/21/2020 at 5:09 PM, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

They got all of Livingston torn up right now for some sort of utility work.  I'm surprised you made it through at all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smileguy said:

I submitted your request via the see, click, fix app as a traffic safety issue. Shouldn't be too hard to send a street sweeper down  the road, eh?  Let us know if the city bites and cleans them up!

Hey there smileguy...I tried to do it myself...but...

spacer.png

Seriously, though...thanks for submitting the request. I nearly flopped and face-planted next to a passing (speeding) motorist but luckily got both feet down and skated to a halt. Hopefully the street sweeper has an "acorn bag" attached to the suck mechanism. I'll check it again Sunday/Monday.

2 hours ago, codypet said:

They got all of Livingston torn up right now for some sort of utility work.  I'm surprised you made it through at all.

It's from Bumby to Ferncreek where the worst of the acorn skid-fest is (heading west). Yeah...Livingston is a bit of a mess (at Eola Heights) but at least I get to detour through my old stomping grounds once a week (although riding the bricks rattles  my fillings loose).  Cheers.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a brief update...the Underhill/Executive Airport connection appears to be officially open. All the " sidewalk closed" signs have been removed. I rode it today. It is nice (and will improve once the newly planted trees/groundcover mature). A few things to note...the path is still "bottle-necked" at the OEA crosswalk (as the "fire hydrant" area has not yet been fixed). Also...from Fairgreen Street to Colonial the trail is a little wonky. Crossing Fairgreen (heading toward Colonial) there is a slight rise in elevation (resulting in a curb along Maguire with a drop off of over a foot in height...so be careful). Just past the storage facility the trail narrows to sidewalk width (again) with a concrete curb (on the storage facility side). It does not appear (at least for now) that any improvements are to be made at the Colonial crosswalk. I will update again if I see any work progressing there in the future. Cheers and happy trails. JRC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

Just a brief update...the Underhill/Executive Airport connection appears to be officially open. All the " sidewalk closed" signs have been removed. I rode it today. It is nice (and will improve once the newly planted trees/groundcover mature). A few things to note...the path is still "bottle-necked" at the OEA crosswalk (as the "fire hydrant" area has not yet been fixed). Also...from Fairgreen Street to Colonial the trail is a little wonky. Crossing Fairgreen (heading toward Colonial) there is a slight rise in elevation (resulting in a curb along Maguire with a drop off of over a foot in height...so be careful). Just past the storage facility the trail narrows to sidewalk width (again) with a concrete curb (on the storage facility side). It does not appear (at least for now) that any improvements are to be made at the Colonial crosswalk. I will update again if I see any work progressing there in the future. Cheers and happy trails. JRC.

Is the bike route sign still there indicating that the official bike route goes through the shopping plaza?

42 minutes ago, codypet said:

Is the bike route sign still there indicating that the official bike route goes through the shopping plaza?

I can't recall seeing it there yesterday. I'll have another look tomorrow. Whenever I used to pass that sign I'd often ponder how many new riders would end up down by Petsmart wondering the where the heck to go next. Never biked through that parking lot myself. Oh well. Cheers.

7 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

I can't recall seeing it there yesterday. I'll have another look tomorrow. Whenever I used to pass that sign I'd often ponder how many new riders would end up down by Petsmart wondering the where the heck to go next. Never biked through that parking lot myself. Oh well. Cheers.

Ironically enough that's how I ride, right through the parking lot.  For some reason I feel safer doing that and riding through the Macy's/Dillards side of the parking lot than the actual trail.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 1:27 PM, codypet said:

I can confirm that it is still there (bolted to the Maguire/Fairgreen street sign). Maybe they forgot to remove it or maybe they are gonna wait until that section of trail is "officially" declared open. Something new today is the start of crosswalk warning flashers for both Fairgreen Street AND Amelia Street (in front of OEA). Metal bases have been bolted down and several of the poles are already up. The Fairgreen flashers are welcome but I cannot ever remember having to wait more than a second or two to cross Amelia. Not complaining, though. More safety is always better. Crosswalk flashers are being put up where the trail crosses Palmetto Ave near Goldenrod as well. To be honest the one crossing that needs help the most is Forsyth Rd. That crossing can be quite a "roll of the dice" during the week. I'm not sure regular warning flashers would suffice there, though. The road is too wide and traffic too heavy (and fast). Ideally a traffic signal (like at Tuscawilla Rd) would be much better. We'll see what happens, I guess.

17 hours ago, codypet said:

Ironically enough that's how I ride, right through the parking lot.  For some reason I feel safer doing that and riding through the Macy's/Dillards side of the parking lot than the actual trail.

Hmmm. Well... whatever you feel most comfortable riding, I reckon.  Since they widened the trail starting at Longhorn Steakhouse I've always just preferred crossing Colonial at Maguire. Plus I often shoot over to Lake Druid en route to the Urban trail or cruise up the Bumby trail en route to Mead Garden and Winter Park. I sure wish they would improve the ramps (from the street) at Colonial though. I saw some dude flip right over the handlbars and faceplant on the sidewalk there not too long ago (he was okay). Anyway, cheers and happy weekend everbody. JRC.

1 hour ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

I'm not sure regular warning flashers would suffice there, though.

I've found the compliance rate of RRFB flashers is shockingly good. People understand them well, they're less intrusive, cheaper, and just work well. I'm hoping they use those almost everywhere now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aent said:

I've found the compliance rate of RRFB flashers is shockingly good. People understand them well, they're less intrusive, cheaper, and just work well. I'm hoping they use those almost everywhere now.

Yeah...I agree mostly...but that Forsyth crossing can be brutal at times. Trail crossing signs are regularly erected in the "island" of that crossing only to get repeatedly mowed down by distracted drivers. The metal stump remnants (of them) are there right now.  I see bikers ride to the mid section of that crossing and wait for traffic to clear. Not safe at all. I'll sometimes wait several minutes there just to make sure all is clear to cross. I am not really a cautious rider ( I curb hop and go off trail a bit) but I am a safe rider...and safety for all is the end goal here. Anyway...if flashers are all we can get at Forsyth I reckon it is better than nothing...but I would still cross that street with caution no matter what the conditions. Cheers. JRC.

On 12/4/2020 at 4:25 PM, aent said:

And I much prefer the RRFB over the stupid hybrid beacons.  You won't be able to tell me that the way they flash is appropriate for the meaning its supposed to be. 

For the uninitiated the hybrid beacon has two red lights and one yellow.  When a pedestrian wants to cross the beacon will flash yellow, then go solid yellow then red.  Fine.  Makes sense.  The pedestrian can begin crossing.  Then when the countdown starts, the red lights flash in a wig wag pattern which is intended to mean the cars can go if the way is clear.  What?! In what world is a wig wagging red light mean go if the way is clear.  If those lights flashed red in unison, I could get behind it, but not when it wig wags.  Wig wag red means stop and don't go until the lights are off.  Railroad crossings?  Wig wag.  School busses?  Wig wag.  Stop conditions on broken or new traffic signals?  flashing red.  Single red light signals?  Flashing red.

Ok end of rant.   

• Like 3

On 12/5/2020 at 9:03 PM, codypet said:

And I much prefer the RRFB over the stupid hybrid beacons.  You won't be able to tell me that the way they flash is appropriate for the meaning its supposed to be. 

For the uninitiated the hybrid beacon has two red lights and one yellow.  When a pedestrian wants to cross the beacon will flash yellow, then go solid yellow then red.  Fine.  Makes sense.  The pedestrian can begin crossing.  Then when the countdown starts, the red lights flash in a wig wag pattern which is intended to mean the cars can go if the way is clear.  What?! In what world is a wig wagging red light mean go if the way is clear.  If those lights flashed red in unison, I could get behind it, but not when it wig wags.  Wig wag red means stop and don't go until the lights are off.  Railroad crossings?  Wig wag.  School busses?  Wig wag.  Stop conditions on broken or new traffic signals?  flashing red.  Single red light signals?  Flashing red.

Ok end of rant.   

You didn't even mention how on any normal traffic signal, if its dark, that means stop, the light is malfunctioning. On this absurdity it means go, the path is clear. I cannot understand why they haven't banned that device. The same thing can be accomplished using a normal RYG signal and just set the red to flashing. After a set period of time if you want. Everyone will understand it unlike those monstrosities. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aent said:

You didn't even mention how on any normal traffic signal, if its dark, that means stop, the light is malfunctioning. On this absurdity it means go, the path is clear. I cannot understand why they haven't banned that device. The same thing can be accomplished using a normal RYG signal and just set the red to flashing. After a set period of time if you want. Everyone will understand it unlike those monstrosities. 

Then we're in agreement.  Boo Hybrid Beacons.  Boo!

• 2 weeks later...

Layer Elemetary (Cross Seminole) Update: Pavement being put down:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The new paved trail is gonna "right turn" at the powerlines.  Riders of the CST will be familiar with "riding underneath the powerlines" at this section (just past the metal scrap yards)...existing trail photo here:

spacer.png

The trail is gonna pull "right" (from the 419) at the powerline area...unclear as to how it is gonna navigate that large mulch facilitly.  Here is a map (and a bit of speculation):

Map2.jpg

Links for more info:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/seminole-county/os-ne-seminole-county-gaps-recreational-trails-20201204-3vrqvvhxwrhi5dmtlzirmu3q44-story.html

https://www.bikeorlando.net/cross-seminole-trail.htm#latest

Happy Holidays and Cheers.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

Green "bike/pedestrian alert" crosswalks starting to appear on the trail networks:

spacer.png

Several already laid down on the OEA route (connecting Underhill to Cady Way) as well as the Urban Trail (including the Bumby path):

Green Ways

I like it.:thumbsup: Cheers. JRC.

It goes well with that green SoDo building @Jernigan posted a while back. Apparently, it’s becoming easier to be green...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, codypet said:

I noticed the crossing on Virginia was green.  They need to repaint Rosalind's bike lanes.  They've faded already.  That said Rosalind needs an M&R badly.  Those bumps as you cross Washington.  Yeesh.  And its not the manholes alone doing it.

Remember, in Buddy’s Orlando, potholes are a feature, not a bug! Just refer to them as “traffic calming”.

Edited by spenser1058