Trails / Bicycle Infrastructure

WAJAS

On 12/5/2020 at 9:03 PM, codypet said:

And I much prefer the RRFB over the stupid hybrid beacons.  You won't be able to tell me that the way they flash is appropriate for the meaning its supposed to be. 

For the uninitiated the hybrid beacon has two red lights and one yellow.  When a pedestrian wants to cross the beacon will flash yellow, then go solid yellow then red.  Fine.  Makes sense.  The pedestrian can begin crossing.  Then when the countdown starts, the red lights flash in a wig wag pattern which is intended to mean the cars can go if the way is clear.  What?! In what world is a wig wagging red light mean go if the way is clear.  If those lights flashed red in unison, I could get behind it, but not when it wig wags.  Wig wag red means stop and don't go until the lights are off.  Railroad crossings?  Wig wag.  School busses?  Wig wag.  Stop conditions on broken or new traffic signals?  flashing red.  Single red light signals?  Flashing red.

Ok end of rant.   

I think the RRFBs took a hit because of a recent pedestrian death.  The problem with any pedestrian crossing is the lack of understanding of traffic laws.  Many pedestrians think that if the light is flashing, they have a force field that protects them.  The pedestrian does not have to technically hit the button to cross.  It is simply an extra measure to warn drivers.  The driver must stop if a pedestrian is in the crosswalk, period.  There is also responsibility on the pedestrian to cross with caution and not immediately jump out into traffic.

18 hours ago, EngineerNole said:

I think the RRFBs took a hit because of a recent pedestrian death.  The problem with any pedestrian crossing is the lack of understanding of traffic laws.  Many pedestrians think that if the light is flashing, they have a force field that protects them.  The pedestrian does not have to technically hit the button to cross.  It is simply an extra measure to warn drivers.  The driver must stop if a pedestrian is in the crosswalk, period.  There is also responsibility on the pedestrian to cross with caution and not immediately jump out into traffic.

You are correct a legislator tried to get them banned because a 12 y/o girl was run over and killed by an 80 or 90 y/o woman who said she didn't see the girl despite the RRFBs operating normally.  I don't think that was the RRFB's fault but  had more to do with who was operating the vehicle.  Reading through the article it seemed like the legislator had a problem with mid-block crosswalks in general.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/02/26/driver-who-fatally-struck-12-year-old-girl-at-satellite-beach-crosswalk-wont-face-charges/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, codypet said:

You are correct a legislator tried to get them banned because a 12 y/o girl was run over and killed by an 80 or 90 y/o woman who said she didn't see the girl despite the RRFBs operating normally.  I don't think that was the RRFB's fault but  had more to do with who was operating the vehicle.  Reading through the article it seemed like the legislator had a problem with mid-block crosswalks in general.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/02/26/driver-who-fatally-struck-12-year-old-girl-at-satellite-beach-crosswalk-wont-face-charges/

Yeah, I'm sure people have been killed at HAWKs as well, given almost nobody seems to understand them at all. Its like asking people which lane they should be in to make a left at a multilane roundabout. For some reason, I can't even explain it to people.

Edited by aent

• 4 weeks later...

From  Community Paper

Some Orlando Urban Trail gaps to be filled

The City of Orlando will pay up to $676,394.57 to fill in gaps in the Orlando Urban Trail. Most of the funds come from FDOT. Two gaps, one from the colonial overpass near N. Orange Avenue and Colonial Drive to Magnolia Avenue, the other gap from the intersection of Michigan Street and Division Avenue north to Anderson Street.

Estimated to take 15 months to complete.

https://www.yourcommunitypaper.com/articles/scooter-share-program-extended-orlando-urban-trail-gaps-to-be-filled-assisted-living-facility-approved-for-lake-copeland/

Also, Scooter share program extended with 6-1 vote

On 1/16/2021 at 3:12 PM, AndyPok1 said:

Note to self, e-mail Patty being that I'm one of her constituents.

I just saw her on my bike ride today.  In fact she either walks a lot or I just have an uncanny ability to be biking while she's walking.

53 minutes ago, Jerry95 said:

Emailing her in support right? I can’t stand how often one of these is blocking the ADA ramp at an intersection or laying across the sidewalk. 

They cannot get their riders to park these things properly.  When the riders take a picture on how they park them, they should be getting warnings about improper parking.  Enough repeat warnings should get a ban.

I assure you I do my damnedest to keep at least 5' of the sidewalk clear and where they tell you to drop these off are specifically away from ADA ramps and fire hydrants.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jerry95 said:

Emailing her in support right? I can’t stand how often one of these is blocking the ADA ramp at an intersection or laying across the sidewalk. 

As, I believe, the most prominent scooter fan on this forum, it will most definitely be to let her know I disagree with her vote.  My biggest problem with the scooter system is the nonsensical 10mph limit (most cities I've been to have it at 12 or 15), and the fact they are OVERLY concentrated in the CBD, so I actually use them less than I'd like.

Just because users are bad doesn't mean we should scrap the entire concept that is literally perfect for solving last mile transit.  Add additional regulation.  Make it so the city can subpoena and fine users that park improperly.  Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.  ESPECIALLY during Covid.  

I live in Wadeview.  Right now if I want to go support local businesses downtown or in Hourglass, I either have to walk 40 minutes or get in an Uber.  Scooters solve this.

Edited by AndyPok1
Added context
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

As, I believe, the most prominent scooter fan on this forum, it will most definitely be to let her know I disagree with her vote.  My biggest problem with the scooter system is the nonsensical 10mph limit (most cities I've been to have it at 12 or 15), and the fact they are OVERLY concentrated in the CBD, so I actually use them less than I'd like.

Just because users are bad doesn't mean we should scrap the entire concept that is literally perfect for solving last mile transit.  Add additional regulation.  Make it so the city can subpoena and fine users that park improperly.  Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.  ESPECIALLY during Covid.  

I live in Wadeview.  Right now if I want to go support local businesses downtown or in Hourglass, I either have to walk 40 minutes or get in an Uber.  Scooters solve this.

I understand the 10 mph rule because as is, people walking on the sidewalk nearly get run over exiting businesses.  There's a TON of wrought iron along the sidewalk downtown (tree stands, outdoor seating railings) and I fear a higher speed limit would make things worse.  

I agree that the scooters should be posted up in the neighborhoods.  When the program started, I could drop off in front of Barely & Vine, or the Nook, or Eola General, but they've removed all those hubs.  I suspect because with the limited number of scooters per company, they decided to focus on where the most traffic was.  The CBD.  If they limit the companies, and increase the number of scooters, I can see it changing so that they can post up in the neighborhoods again.   I know the hubs are moving around based on where the trips originate and end.   A bunch of hubs moved to in between the Vue and Skyhouse.  As did a number around 55W, Crescent Central, and the South Eola apts.  There's very few true CBD hubs.  

Given I was almost mowed down by a Gen Z idiot on a scooter yesterday (who was talking away on a phone, no less) in Eola Park where the signs clearly prohibit them, I have no use for them.

Given the administration has seen fit to cut back on OPD bike patrols and the number of rangers in the park lately, I’m not optimistic about enforcement, either. 

Miami allows Code Enforcement and police to write tickets for infractions (improper parking, etc.) which holds both companies and users accountable, however, it's the Wild West here in Orlando. Anything goes with no consequences! I've emailed Patty's office about it and it seemed like no F's were given.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bungalower has previously reported and is now updating the Pine St bike lane will begin design work. This will be a 2-way, 10 feet wide, barrier protected lane running from Eola Dr to Gertrude's. I'm assuming this will eliminate any on street parking along Pine.

https://bungalower.com/2021/02/11/pine-street-protected-bike-lane-project-inching-closer-to-construction/

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 11:17 AM, AmIReal said:

Bungalower has previously reported and is now updating the Pine St bike lane will begin design work. This will be a 2-way, 10 feet wide, barrier protected lane running from Eola Dr to Gertrude's. I'm assuming this will eliminate any on street parking along Pine.

Interesting.  ALSO...the city has finally fixed the "fire hydrant" area (at Livingston and Maguire) on the OEA stretch of the Lake Underhill Trail (enroute to Cady Way). Just thought I'd post the update. Cheers.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers
  • Like 1

@Jolly Roger's Crackers Finally!  I rode there last week and was like, that's still not fixed?!?!?

I wish they'd fixed that pothole just south of there.   Also did you notice the directional signage appears to be misplaced?  They have a sign in front of longhorn in the south bound direction telling you you're X miles from Lake Druid Park and X miles from the Cady Way Trail, and X miles from the Dinky line, but you would just come off the Cady Way and you would have overshot the turn for the other two by like a half mile.

Edited by codypet

On 2/19/2021 at 12:08 PM, codypet said:

I wish they'd fixed that pothole just south of there. 

Yeah I know....I call that little dipsy doodle the "dump bump" everytime I skirt by it.

On 2/19/2021 at 12:08 PM, codypet said:

Also did you notice the directional signage appears to be misplaced?

I first saw that sign a few weeks ago returning home from a ride. I was like...what the flock? Then this image popped into my head (and does so everytime

I pass it):

spacer.png

I'll try to send an email to the city parks division about that soon. Cheers. JRC.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Biked a long one today...out to Big Tree Park (in Longwood) and back. I wanted to check out the Layer Elemetary School gap on the Cross Seminole Trail. It is 95% done...the exception being about a 40-50 yard gap right at the railroad tracks:

spacer.png

The trail bends north (from the 419) and skirts along the east edge of the "mulch operation".  "Road Ends" barrier posts/signs are erected at the rail lines. It appears that the rail crossing will be delayed for awhile (not sure why). The rest of it is completely finished. The "sketchy gravel path" (from the scrap yard area) is paved as well. There are "trail closed" signs once you pass Wade Street but you can continue to ride the trail west. Once you get to the RR crossing you can walk your bike  across that 50 yard gap (carrying it across the actual train tracks) and pick up the paved trail again. The next 300 (or so) yards are gonna be at the mercy of the mulch pile (on any given day)....as there was a bunch of wood debris that had spilled over onto that new section of trail (at least today). Just wanted to post the update. Cheers. JRC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, codypet said:

So the mulch people are dumping piles on the new trail?  I wonder how long before the County tells them to knock it off.

Not intentionally (I believe). It's just that part of the mulch pile is right up next to the trail and is seperated from it by a chain link fence in that area. Some spillover (likely aided by the wind) caused the debris to make it through the fence and onto the trail. Hopefully someone will regularly sweep/blow that area to keep it riding smooth. Cheers.

• Like 1

I know someone on here was working on the Lake Druid trail and pump track.  I decided to get back to off road biking for the first time in like 10 years this weekend and after a 2nd lap crash on the pump track, I was back in old form.  I hit the trail and I have to say kudos to whomever named those trails.   The "root of all evil" in particular got a chuckle out of me while riding.

• Like 1

“Now, Seminole recreation staff are putting together a trails master plan — a sort of wish list — that recommends adding another 147 miles of pedestrian paths at a cost of nearly $92 million.

Among the recommendations in the preliminary report is building a new, roughly 12-mile trail that through the center of Seminole, traveling from Big Tree Park in Longwood, through Red Bug Lake Park near Winter Springs and connecting with the Cross Seminole Trail in Orange County.

It also includes building a two-mile trail in the historic Midway community near Sanford, along with filling in miles of gaps in the long-neglected, unpaved Flagler Trail that plows through rural east Seminole.“

From The Sentinel (link above)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1