Trails / Bicycle Infrastructure

WAJAS

You best stop that harassment of such a horrible county. In no way do I want to be affiliated. Or I'll block you. Lol.      I can only put up with your reposting of worlds longest links from days eariler from already visited sites. Oy vey!

3 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

I like tunnels. 

Mobile's is fun.

9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Among the recommendations in the preliminary report is building a new, roughly 12-mile trail that through the center of Seminole, traveling from Big Tree Park in Longwood, through Red Bug Lake Park near Winter Springs and connecting with the Cross Seminole Trail in Orange County.

This has piqued my interest for sure. It is quite a haul on a bike from downtown Orlando to Big Tree Park (and even further if you want to check out those fence murals on Seminole Wekiva Trail). Depending on the new trail route this might shave off 6-9 miles of riding (if your ultimate destination is beyond Big Tree). Cheers. JRC.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, codypet said:

I know someone on here was working on the Lake Druid trail and pump track.  I decided to get back to off road biking for the first time in like 10 years this weekend and after a 2nd lap crash on the pump track, I was back in old form.  I hit the trail and I have to say kudos to whomever named those trails.   The "root of all evil" in particular got a chuckle out of me while riding.

How was it (the single track) overall? Also...that new section is completed, right? I thought I'd read that the extra section (back half?) was open by now. I just sold my old Rockhopper bike (currently searching for a replacement) but want to check out the dirt trail as soon as I can. Cheers. JRC.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

How was it (the single track) overall? Also...that new section is completed, right? I thought I'd read that the extra section (back half?) was open by now. I just sold my old Rockhopper bike (currently searching for a replacement) but want to check out the dirt trail as soon as I can. Cheers. JRC.

So full disclosure.  I completely missed the back half because the way the trail is oriented, it feels like you're going off property into some random land and assumed I was gonna end up by Redlight Redlight or something.  I turned around to look at the pit, but I couldn't find the trail anymore so I went back to the pump track.  If you miss the turn, you've pretty much missed it without riding backward and risking crashing head onto people.   I think I'll go back Thursday after work and do it again.  The front section of the trail, I loved.  I'm slower off the pace than I wanted to be, but given that its a new trail to me and I'm waaaayyyyy out of practice, I was trying not to get myself killed.

• Like 1

The trail is fairly easy.  It has some tight twisty/rooty areas that you have to go pretty slow over (palmetto roots) and they have some "harder" options and wooden features in the back.  I really like the concrete rock-garden part they put in on the main single track.  Basically, you have to just do a bunch of laps to get a real ride in, but it is nice to at least have a location for dirt riding in town.  

I helped build the trail and the pump track, but have not been to a work day in a while for maintenance/updates.  They work on weekdays a lot of the time.  (I'm also not a big fan of wood features, but I get why some people like that. I am old now and like to mostly keep my wheels connected to the dirt, lol). 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

Thanks for the info on the Lake Druid Park single track bike trail, codypet and dcluley98. I hope to get over there soon. I live not far from there. Been focused on paved trail riding for the last few years...but I wanna get back to my bike riding roots...on the dirt. Cheers. JRC.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That's a pretty good write up overall.  It is a lovely trail. Killarney Station is the best starting point (although the Apopka Vineland trailhead works as well).  You can head east (from Killarney) on the West Orange Trail or west/north on the South Lake Trail.  South Lake is a bit hilly( intially) but the ride around Lake Minneola is golden. The Hancock Road extension is  a bit of a challenge (it is the steepest paved bike trail hill I've found around these parts). West Orange is really nice all the way to Apoka Vineland. The ride north toward Apopka is through a woody area (mostly). Past 441 it is okay for a about a half a mile but then turns into hot garbage along Rock Springs road to the end point. I would recommend starting at Killarney and biking either direction...or start at the Apoka Vineland trailhead and head west (through Winter Garden) to Killarney (and back). Hop off the bike in downtown Winter Garden and have a snack or a beer at a local establishment. No worries. Cheers.

• Like 2

@Jolly Roger's Crackers

Could not agree with you more.  

I'll as if a friend of yours suggests starting at the Lake Apopka Loop Trailhead for an easy 3 hour bike ride around the lake (which includes the aforementioned WOT segment)  Just don't.  Its waayy longer than even I'm comfortable with, and I cycle more than most people.  (Hint:  It was way more than 3hours and after you've been on the offroad portion your exhausted body gets greeted by the hills of Lake County.)

• Like 1

How ‘bout a good news political story? Central Florida’s trails are growing like a weed:

Central Florida’s enviable and growing network of trails: A rare point of agreement | Editorial
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/editorials/os-op-florida-recreation-trails-network-20210522-aot3jq3p4zfnfdz5kdf7xq3ntm-story.html

From The Sentinel 
  • Like 3

On 5/22/2021 at 8:21 PM, spenser1058 said:

Central Florida’s trails are growing like a weed

Nothing wrong with a little weed now and again :tw_smirk: . Gimme a coast-to-coast trail and I will pack a bag of apples, alot of water, 45 Cliff Bars (and a sleeping bag) and just DO IT. No worries. Cheers.

p.s. Oh...and a credit card and perhaps the odd hotel room....and the occasional diner...and maybe a few other things. Otherwise...I am quite intrigued by an Atlantic Coast to Gulf Coast trail. Looking foward to it. Bring it on.

• Like 1

Construction has begun (apparently) on the SODO end of the Urban Trail:

https://twitter.com/citybeautiful/status/1396858535124684805

Interested to see how this "actually" connects to the Urban Trail (near Church Street). I know there is

a planned route that will eventually connect the Urban Trail to a future route eastward along Anderson.

We shall see...I reckon. Have a nice Memorial Day Weekend everybody. Cheers.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2021 at 7:09 PM, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

Construction has begun (apparently) on the SODO end of the Urban Trail:

https://twitter.com/citybeautiful/status/1396858535124684805

Interested to see how this "actually" connects to the Urban Trail (near Church Street). I know there is

a planned route that will eventually connect the Urban Trail to a future route eastward along Anderson.

We shall see...I reckon. Have a nice Memorial Day Weekend everybody. Cheers.

Driving on Division, between Grant and Kaley, you can see the outline of the path. Once they cross Kaley and head toward Gore, it will be interesting to see how they navigate some of those properties which are only set back by about 15 feet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
20 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

The route is confirmed including a Diagonal Ped crossing intersection at Marks St/Orange:

FINALLY. Thank God. Riding the UT (does that sound like a medical condition?) from Lake Highland down to the Lynx Bus area has been fairly manageable. Going the opposite direction has been dodgy. Odd that they are removing onstreet parking on the west side of Orange Ave ALL THE WAY from Marks to Colonial (the UT Colonial overpass bridge route picks up just south of Park Lake Street).....but I reckon it welcomes riders into the downtown corridor this way. It is gonna be weird riding NORTH along Orange (against traffic). I wonder if the trail is just gonna be painted on the road (green share lanes) or a raised dedicated surface. I suspect the former. Also good luck keeping folks from parking on it (even if temporarily)  if it is street level . Riding the current bike lane on Orange is like playing a game of Frogger most days.

10 hours ago, codypet said:

They've been digging up Weber for it for about 2 months now.

Yeah. Been navigating that dumpster fire for awhile now. I assumed the city was rectifying some sort of drainage issue. Who knows.

Cheers. JRC.

2 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

I wonder if the trail is just gonna be painted on the road (green share lanes) or a raised dedicated surface. I suspect the former. Also good luck keeping folks from parking on it (even if temporarily)  if it is street level . Riding the current bike lane on Orange is like playing a game of Frogger most days.

JRC, they said it was going to be dedicated and separated at grade 10-12 foot bidirectional lane with curb/landscaping buffer from traffic along orange. This is what is taking up the parking/current bike lane ROW on that side of the street. Not sure why they are taking out parking along Steelhouse too, as the pedestrian bridge turn-off is just north of Steelhouse. Hopefully they actually extend the bi-directional multi-use trail south on Orange as well. The area south of Colonial on Orange is dangerous if you try to ride it  because the bike lane is gone but there is parallel street parking that is somewhat unoccupied, however, you have to dip back into traffic lanes if there is a parked car, and well, the people driving on Orange really don't like that and don't yield for you. They also get pissed if you are riding in the traffic lanes, as they think you should be in the parking ROW or the sidewalk and are very aggressive. This is one of the reasons that I don't ride my bike to work downtown. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

they said it was going to be dedicated and separated at grade 10-12 foot bidirectional lane with curb/landscaping buffer from traffic along orange

Well this is good to hear (sorry I missed that). Still trying to wrap my tiny bird skull around how that is going to look (it seems so compressed and congested between Marks and the Colonial UT overpass section) and vehicles are always a problem in that area.

18 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

The area south of Colonial on Orange is dangerous

Agreed. Once I cross Colonial (on the bike bridge) I bang a left at Livingston and "bike lane" my way back to the east most days. Still....looking foward to that

Gertrude/UT connector to a future trail along Anderson. One of these days, I reckon. Cheers.

• Like 1