Trails / Bicycle Infrastructure

WAJAS

So also, driving north up "Garland" at night, there are actually colored lights installed under the new I-4 decks that are in sequence with the lighting at the Lynx Central Station and Headquarters building. 

They are color coordinated as of now, but I am not sure that it is going to try to be a whole cohesive "programmed" system with the lighting of the "Orb" and existing lighting of the pedestrian bridge. 

There seems to be a consistent theming, but maybe not a coordinated control system/programmable system for all of them.  I would think they want the lights under the deck and at the transit station/building to stay more static in nature than the art piece. 

Another interesting thing (althought I have not seen the plans) is that whoever designed this intended for it to be similar to a "golden ratio" or "Fibonnaci" proportion all around, as seen in the progression of the pedestal and curvature in the base of the sculpture. 

It is noticable, so maybe did not perfectly achieve their goal.  

“Learn more about the design of the Downtown Loop -Orlando’s Multiuse Trail at the upcoming South Eola Resident Forum”

From The City of Orlando 

Jul 6, 2022 5:00 - 7:00pm at The Abbey

If you’re nice, @dwSouthEola might let you in even if you’re not part of the ‘hood!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

On 7/1/2022 at 3:59 PM, spenser1058 said:

Jul 6, 2022 5:00 - 7:00pm at The Abbey

Yeah, got the postcard for this the other day.  Idk if we shared it to our FB page or FB group, but hopefully everyone else in the neighborhood that got the postcard actually reads it and shows up - whether they identify as Thornton Parkers or not. Lol

The initial reaction to the postcard saying "working on designing the last couple miles" is that it implies the design is still up for resident feedback, and that changes are possible as a result of this "South Eola Resident Forum" but 4mo's ago they held a meeting on the Downtown Loop at Venture X and we asked "Who should residents reach out to if they have questions, feedback, suggestions" the answer at that time (in not so many words) was that the plan is the plan.  This has already been through the input and design phase, and the meeting in March was simply to make the public aware of the outcome of that process.  So residents should probably expect the same from the meeting this week.

Anyone remember the city meeting at The Abbey for the 520 Church project?  And the plan was the plan, everyone who went and spoke had valid concerns but none of it made a difference.  Don't get me wrong, having this meeting is better than not having one but it does feel like a 'copy/paste but change the name' kinda way of going through the motions.

LoopMtg.jpg

LoopMtg2.jpg

• Like 2

So the meeting tonight was encouraging. Apparently the March meeting at Venture X was only the final versions of the pathways that are now under construction, the South Eola portion is still being developed with construction next year. The graphics on display tonight had multiple path options and they would very much like resident feedback. Yay! The printed maps were enormous and aren't available online yet, my pics might not be great (one is a composite) but this is what they had on display.

MtgMap2.jpg

MtgMap1.jpg

Edited by dwSouthEola
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Multi-use trail has been poured for a lot of the section just south of Anderson and the 408.  The area around Greenwood wetland/cemetery is under construction right now and they have much of the section done, but working on some segments where utilities cut through. Could not get a picture due to being in traffic, but it is well on its way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/7/2022 at 10:45 PM, Jernigan said:

Wouldnt a brick fence be called a wall?

If it helps my cousin calls her white vinyl fence the Plastic Berlin Wall.  Her rear neighbor has everything short of an actual Nazi flag up in his backyard proclaiming his hatred for so many things and so many people.

4 hours ago, HankStrong said:

If it helps my cousin calls her white vinyl fence the Plastic Berlin Wall.  Her rear neighbor has everything short of an actual Nazi flag up in his backyard proclaiming his hatred for so many things and so many people.

What's that old expression...good fences make good neighbors?

When our son moved back home temporarily (HA! just before the pandemic hit) with his two young cats we ended up putting up two baby gates one above the other at the hallway leading to his room to create what we called the Purrlin Wall. Our two senior cats had been declawed as kittens (not by us) so it was never going to be a good mix. This went on from December to the following November when he moved out. We got quite good at keeping them separated and making sure the visiting team got ample patio time as well. They could still see each other and hiss back and forth which came to be known as Feline West Side Story.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, angela1117 said:

What's that old expression...good fences make good neighbors?

When our son moved back home temporarily (HA! just before the pandemic hit) with his two young cats we ended up putting up two baby gates one above the other at the hallway leading to his room to create what we called the Purrlin Wall. Our two senior cats had been declawed as kittens (not by us) so it was never going to be a good mix. This went on from December to the following November when he moved out. We got quite good at keeping them separated and making sure the visiting team got ample patio time as well. They could still see each other and hiss back and forth which came to be known as Feline West Side Story.

That's hilarious.

Yes.  She said he does practice hate speeches in the back yard, which she thinks he's recording or something (she can't see if he is or not) for online.  If they are outside whenever she hears the first slur or nasty thing, they fire up lawn equipment or turn their porch speakers up loud with random ethnic music.  Her and her husband are both white, but for those times they are super into Bollywood showtunes, reggaetón, salsa, Canadian folk music, Native American chanting, yoga chimes, etc.  Sometimes she just plays radio music just to get him copyrighted.   She tells me a couple of their neighbors have started doing the same, so when they hear each other doing it, they play something completely different to create a cacophony of sounds.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, HankStrong said:

That's hilarious.

Yes.  She said he does practice hate speeches in the back yard, which she thinks he's recording or something (she can't see if he is or not) for online.  If they are outside whenever she hears the first slur or nasty thing, they fire up lawn equipment or turn their porch speakers up loud with random ethnic music.  Her and her husband are both white, but for those times they are super into Bollywood showtunes, reggaetón, salsa, Canadian folk music, Native American chanting, yoga chimes, etc.  Sometimes she just plays radio music just to get him copyrighted.   She tells me a couple of their neighbors have started doing the same, so when they hear each other doing it, they play something completely different to create a cacophony of sounds.

Hopefully that guy is on a watch list. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the cops showed up at your cousin's house for a noise disturbance while that guy is allowed to continue doing his thing.

There was recently an abortion activist march through downtown on Rosalind and it was kind of interesting to see the handful of right wing [faux] patriots trailing on the coat tails of the abortion march while closely flanked by OPD as if they had their own personal security detail. Yes the abortion activists had rolling OPD bike patrols and squad cars buffering traffic, but not acting as personal bodyguards. Maybe I caught the tail end and missed something, but IMO the optics were not good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I posted some pics of the SoDo/Division Street trail here:

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/51939-downtown-south-sunrailamtrak-sodo-orlando-health-lymmo-orangemichigan-avenues/?do=findComment&comment=1819516

Not trying to clutter up the site. Just thought some folks might be interested (who would only be concerned with bike trail news). No worries. Cheers.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

I posted some pics of the SoDo/Division Street trail here:

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/51939-downtown-south-sunrailamtrak-sodo-orlando-health-lymmo-orangemichigan-avenues/?do=findComment&comment=1819516

Not trying to clutter up the site. Just thought some folks might be interested (who would only be concerned with bike trail news). No worries. Cheers.

Rock on, @Jolly Roger's Crackers. They’re great updates!

• Like 1

A few random photos from the North Quarter trail (these are about a month or so old...maybe older...I digress):

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Haven't ridden through there since early/mid June. I will bike through there again this Sunday (hopefully) and post any updates. No worries. Cheers.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The iconic West Orange Trail bridge over the Florida Turnpike is closing. It will be replaced following widening of the roadway which is expected to take about a year.

Meanwhile, WOT traffic will be detoured on to CR 438, which is currently closed to vehicular traffic:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-orange-trail-bridge-replacement-20220814-ytz5ba3bcnby7iwk7x6tr67jei-story.html

From The Sentinel 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The iconic West Orange Trail bridge over the Florida Turnpike is closing. It will be replaced following widening of the roadway which is expected to take about a year.

Meanwhile, WOT traffic will be detoured on to CR 438, which is currently closed to vehicular traffic:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-orange-trail-bridge-replacement-20220814-ytz5ba3bcnby7iwk7x6tr67jei-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Oh man...that sucks. Been over that bridge many times en route to Killarney Station (and beyond to the South Lake Trail).  Cheers.

• Like 1

Bungalower reported that there will be a new "pocket park" with sculpture installations as part of the Downtown Connector Loop trail that is being completed currently.  The park will be at the corner of Primrose and Anderson and is soliciting proposals for 2 sculptures. 

https://bungalower.com/2022/08/10/call-to-artists-milk-district-accepting-proposals-for-sculptures-on-new-bike-trail/

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Bungalower reported that there will be a new "pocket park" with sculpture installations as part of the Downtown Connector Loop trail that is being completed currently.  The park will be at the corner of Primrose and Anderson and is soliciting proposals for 2 sculptures. 

That's cool. That little parcel of land always had me wondering who owned it (and what was going to become of it). Nice . Cheers.

• Like 2