Trails / Bicycle Infrastructure

WAJAS

On 6/29/2019 at 10:33 AM, spenser1058 said:

Lakeland converts road to 1-way for autos with a cycle track for bikes:

https://www.theledger.com/news/20190628/new-york-avenue-cycle-track-ready-for-riders

From the Lakeland Ledger

Awesome! Lakeland is really an underrated city, I hope they get a Brightline stop if it ever makes it to Tampa. The Amtrak station  is right in the middle of their cute little historical downtown, but alas gets only 2 trains a day.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The latest in the ongoing Lime soap opera:

https://bungalower.com/2019/07/09/ask-bungalower-why-is-lime-throwing-out-all-of-these-bikes/

From Bungalower 

All we need to do is look to China to see what happens when too many bikes flood the market (of course, bike graveyards will be proportionate to it's respective market). I suspect bike sharing companies are more apt to write off bikes that need service as losses on their taxes because the high cost of maintenance (replacing flat tires, cables, warped wheels, alignments, etc) will undoubtedly cut into profits. How can they properly maintain a fleet of bikes and ensure their safety for public at a low cost? Even the story about the bikes being recycled for parts reeks of Fido being sent upstate to live on a farm. Being the skeptic that I am, I'm not buying any of it!

• Thanks 1

More on Lime leaving UCF (or not). Supposedly, Orlando is unaffected. Sooo.. that leaves the question - what about UCF Downtown.? The saga continues.... *cue Dynasty theme music*.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2019/07/10/lime-opts-to-remove-ride-share-bikes-from-ucfs-campus?media=AMP+HTML

From Orlando Weekly 

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Saw these outside Craft & Common today...owners were inside.  Didn’t pester them but they are looking to launch here with nicer scooters that have suspension and are pictured in the screenshot of their website.

No relation to LYNX - although I’m sure these will keep their call center busy 

42B7A0F2-46B5-4D6F-AFBB-E839EC75B065.jpeg

ABA850A4-F3A1-4936-B0B2-665F718B6B8C.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Saw these outside Craft & Common today...owners were inside.  Didn’t pester them but they are looking to launch here with nicer scooters that have suspension and are pictured in the screenshot of their website.

No relation to LYNX - although I’m sure these will keep their call center busy 

42B7A0F2-46B5-4D6F-AFBB-E839EC75B065.jpeg

ABA850A4-F3A1-4936-B0B2-665F718B6B8C.png

Excellent. I am looking forward to breaking my femur on one of these in a near drunken future.

• Haha 1

There was a very good segment on NPR 1A today primarily about scooter in the city. One of the points was about how poorly bicycles were viewed when they first came on the scene- to the point that NY banned them in all parks and public spaces and now NY has banned scooters in the city.

The transcript is not up yet, but the podcast is. "Two Wheels, Lots Of Controversy: Electric Scooters And Urban Space"-  https://the1a.org/shows/2020-01-13/electric-scooters

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...