Trails / Bicycle Infrastructure

WAJAS

2 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Been super easy. Made $20 the other day doing a few. Went to grab one today and it apparently was in Lake Eola so that wasn't happening. Weird they let them sit though sometimes at a low % til the evening.

That $6.50 one?  Yea.  The GPS has been down on that one for over 24hrs.  I need to be patient.  Looks like after 11 is the time to go out.  I picked up my 4 about 9:45 yesterday and noticed the prices jump after I got home.

3 minutes ago, codypet said:

That $6.50 one?  Yea.  The GPS has been down on that one for over 24hrs.  I need to be patient.  Looks like after 11 is the time to go out.  I picked up my 4 about 9:45 yesterday and noticed the prices jump after I got home.

They only gave me 3 chargers. I charged them up then took them all over for like an hour since its free before re-charging and returning. They are fun to use, even if they are quite slow. Its perfect for me because our landlord doesn't meter our electricity so I have them all going at work.

That's actually kind of nice.  I noticed the app has a cap of 10 limes.  Does that mean I can actually pick up 10 limes, and charge them four at a time?  Because if so I'd grab a few on my commute home, then pick some more up after 11.  Since I live in the milk, there's not a lot of traveling out of my way to pick them up.

On 1/27/2020 at 7:30 PM, ChiDev said:

Is there a charity org working to expand bike lanes in the city?  Looking to contribute.

Money is never the problem. There is plenty.   Priorities are.  

Best way to help is to be a squeaky wheel to elected officials.  Don’t bother with city or county transportation staff - or FDOT for that matter.  They are all merely the construction company.  They’ll build whatever elected officials prioritize.

Our advocacy groups (Orlando Bike Coalition and the David Porter transit blogs) are quite ineffective so if you are inspired to start a group with clout and is savvy I’m sure some of us would sign on.

• Like 2

You can always volunteer for work days at Orlando Mountain Bike Park (OMBP)! 

The are building phase II of the singletrack and they always need help maintaining. They have a facebook page where they announce workdays and activities.   I have gone a couple of times including cutting the original singletrack loop. Not the best trail in the world but it is awesome for the locals to be able to do something in the city limits without having to drive an hour, and great for kids to get into cycling/mountain biking.  

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Figure as good as a place to ask as any... Thinking about finally investing in a real bike.  Thoughts on where I should buy from and types/styles for combination commuting around town (aka pure road bike seems bad because of all the brick/curbs), but beyond the occasional going into the grass to avoid people, I'm not really offroading, so the schwinn mountain bike I have is probably being more harmful than good

Fuji makes great bikes for the money. A 28 mm "road" bike tire is still pretty decent for the bricks, IMO, however slightly wider rims and 32 mm or fatter tires will be more forgiving. I like my Fuji Absolute for riding around town.  Retro City Cycles in Ivanhoe is a Fuji dealer.   Get Disc brakes, they have saved my life riding in the city more than once. I have an old Fuji 1.1d that has been great and reliable, but it's a tad expensive. 1.3 is good with disc brakes and a carbon fork. Carbon fork is really good to reduce road chatter with bricks and less than ideal pavement. 

Orange Cycles is a great bike shop, but a bit popular and higher end. Kyle's has great down to earth staff and service, but I don't know what brands they carry. 

Edited by dcluley98

6 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

Figure as good as a place to ask as any... Thinking about finally investing in a real bike.  Thoughts on where I should buy from and types/styles for combination commuting around town (aka pure road bike seems bad because of all the brick/curbs), but beyond the occasional going into the grass to avoid people, I'm not really offroading, so the schwinn mountain bike I have is probably being more harmful than good

I scooped up a hybrid Nishiki from Dicks a few years back for $350 and have had no problems with it.  I like it a lot, actually.  I know a bunch of guys who are really into bikes that upturn their noses at it, so maybe they know something I don't? 

• Like 1

Fact.  I've bought the same Schwinn Ranger from Target 5 or 6 times in the past 15 years (mainly because it got stolen a decent amount in college).  Especially once I added bar ends and a good seat?  It gets the job done quite well.

I was gonna check out Orange and Kyle's, but haven't had the chance yet because they're closed on Sundays.  I went in David's the one time and didn't enjoy the experience.

Orange is great. Retro City is a bit quirky, but they are a Fuji Dealer. They are like an old school bike shop where they are more about riding than selling stuff, lol.  You can probably order online and have something delivered to the local dealer, but I would always try to test-ride anything before hand. 

One of the biggest things is to get actually "fitted" for a bike. You can probably get fitted at Orange and maybe REI.  Go to CompetitiveCyclist.com and take some measurements yourself to get a good idea if you are uncomfortable getting fitted in person: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyPok1 said:

Look into a gravel bike.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I can often seem anti my own interests here... and I'm all for adding all of the protected bike lanes... but on Pine?  Pine is one of the streets I've never had a concern about riding on.  Especially on that side of Rosalind.

Edit to clarify:  My mindset tends to be that we need to make sure we are advancing our own urban interests and picking our battles carefully so as to not outrage the general populous.  The Curry Ford effort was clearly a failure there.  I have a similar concern here.  The benefit of a protected bike lane for like 4 blocks on Pine is close to 0, but it has the chance of creating a lot of (untrue) outrage which then would hinder the possibility of getting a more important protected lane on Orange or Rosalind.

Edited by AndyPok1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

I know I can often seem anti my own interests here... and I'm all for adding all of the protected bike lanes... but on Pine?  Pine is one of the streets I've never had a concern about riding on.  Especially on that side of Rosalind.

Edit to clarify:  My mindset tends to be that we need to make sure we are advancing our own urban interests and picking our battles carefully so as to not outrage the general populous.  The Curry Ford effort was clearly a failure there.  I have a similar concern here.  The benefit of a protected bike lane for like 4 blocks on Pine is close to 0, but it has the chance of creating a lot of (untrue) outrage which then would hinder the possibility of getting a more important protected lane on Orange or Rosalind.

I think it's more about creating a connector to the Lake Underhill trail as part of the beltway - for through riders, not local riders.  I'm thinking that the urban apartment/condo dwellers will be less likely to take up arms against this than the folks living  around and passing through Curry Ford.  Downtowners are much more used to dealing with change. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Okay, but if "through" riders and "connectors" are the impetus... Put a protected bike lane on Illinois to connect Cady Way to OUT.  Would be much more usable.

I've never found the traffic on Illinois bad enough to warrant a protected late.  I wouldn't mind one on Fern Creek, though.