Trails / Bicycle Infrastructure

WAJAS

6 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Okay, but if "through" riders and "connectors" are the impetus... Put a protected bike lane on Illinois to connect Cady Way to OUT.  Would be much more usable.

Isn’t Illinois residential? How do you put a protected lane without blocking driveways?

2 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Did the scooter companies basically stop working? There are so many scooters literally the sidewalks not being picked up anymore and on the Lime app I could pick up like 50 of them to return to their warehouse when its usually 1-2 at any given time.

Good riddance? The ones on the road follow none of the traffic rules and the ones on the sidewalk almost hit me more than once. A plague upon all their houses.

3 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Good riddance? The ones on the road follow none of the traffic rules and the ones on the sidewalk almost hit me more than once. A plague upon all their houses.

They arent gone, just seems some companies aren't sending their employees out to maintain them currently. Its weird.

I also think they are super fun but way too slow.

8 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

They arent gone, just seems some companies aren't sending their employees out to maintain them currently. Its weird.

I also think they are super fun but way too slow.

I suspect it’s not unlike the dot com era when companies with very little competence popped up because the VC’s were throwing money around.

I’m a Ford shareholder so I follow what they’re up to pretty closely. Even a company in business for 100+ years has just thrown money at their entry in the race rather than doing due diligence. In their case it’s mostly because they were just desperate to prove to Wall Street they are as tech-savvy as Tesla. Of course, Tesla is unburdened by the necessity to make a consistent profit, unlike Ford.

No idea what you're talking about.  I've taken Birds and Limes all over the place, and I constantly see people riding them down the street as I stare out my window.  Until someone tells me a better answer, as far as I'm concerned they ARE the perfect last mile solution.

We are actively in a pandemic, so I mean, arguably its good people aren't scooting around.

I was thinking that it was bad timing for these scooter companies. One, when they launched, it was cold as heck. Then a couple nice weeks of scootering only to hit the Coronavirus. I wouldn't get on a scooter if it were free right now. Who's cleaning them? nobody. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Did the scooter companies basically stop working? There are so many scooters literally the sidewalks not being picked up anymore and on the Lime app I could pick up like 50 of them to return to their warehouse when its usually 1-2 at any given time.

They're pulling them.  Lime is offering $2 per scooter to pull their fleet.  Bird is doing $3.50 per scooter.  They're housing these things until the virus clears up.  The other scooter companies should have their own staff doing the same.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a just and fair God. OC is banning scooters until January or at least until they revisit the ordinance. The damn things are not only a nuisance but someone finally figured out they aren’t doing much for ADA regs, either.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-orange-county-scooter-moratorium-20200330-xnon3s45zfgsrgcfsbtlz2zamy-story.html

From the Sentinel 

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed this in my neighborhood.  Lynx and Hopr just littered on the ground like they're not being picked up.  Sidenote:  Lime and Bird have relaunched in other cities (with more walkability) with changes to their charging policy.  Their argument is that they're available for essential workers to get to work.   I mean I kinda get why they're doing it, but I still think they're asking to spread the virus on those things.