ATL Elections

ironchapman

Does Mayor Franklin deserve another term?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Does Mayor Franklin deserve another term?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been amazed at what a unifying force she has been, especially in the wake of Mayor Campbell. I do not know anyone who really does not like her and does not give her the benefit of the doubt, even if they disagree with some specific things. I think she has shown a willingness to do the really tough things required to start putting the city on better footing. Like many large cities, Atlanta over the past several decades had allowed its infrastructure to decay and had proved unable to provide quality municipal services in many cases. Franklin has been taking steps to correct some of that situation. And I think people cut her a lot of slack because of that. I think she deserves re-election because of these things. And I cannot conceive of her loosing her re-election. There is just too much good will for her from all across the city. I really am amazed at it all having witnessed the Campbell meltdown.

There is just too much good will for her from all across the city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ITA. The difference between her and Campbell are astonishing. I didn't even realize how awful things had gotten until she started making improvements. I don't agree with everything she does, but I fully believe she has the city's best interests at heart. Atlanta sorely needs that right now.

I had no idea that Campbell was such an awful mayor until the charges against him surfaced recently around here on television. He, and his city became the Washington DC of the South, crooked cronyism politics, shady deals, lack of support or desire, and ineptitude reigned it seems. Atlanta used to be described as a run-down craphole by most people I knew who had been there, and in less than 10 years time, it's image has been transformed, I hope that Mrs. Franklin keeps her job.

I had no idea that Campbell was such an awful mayor until the charges against him surfaced recently around here on television. He, and his city became the Washington DC of the South, crooked cronyism politics, shady deals, lack of support or desire, and ineptitude reigned it seems. Atlanta used to be described as a run-down craphole by most people I knew who had been there, and in less than 10 years time, it's image has been transformed, I hope that Mrs. Franklin keeps her job.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She certainly will - there is no one significant running against her, which is a first in many elections. Bill Campbell was a dirty politician but more importantly he created a negative image in the city & especially outside of the city. No one trusted each other - developers were pitted against the poor, gentrifier/new residents were pitted against the poor as well.

I can tell things are much improved in the past 4 years already.

Campbell did do one thing right, though... He did lead Atlanta through the greatest olympic games in history (or was he the mayor when the bid was won?) Anyway, I have heard so many bad things about Campbell, but none about Franklin. Atlanta has always been an island of liberalism in an ocean of conservatism, and I think that helps the city transform into what it is becoming. Everyone in the city seems to be amazed at the changes she has brought. After years and years of the "we don't have the money" story, she is actually fixing the infrastructure! Imagine! Potholes get filled, new asphalt is put down when needed, the trash gets picked up, all those things were iffy during the Campbell crisis. I've always had an affection for the Atlanta area, my sister used to live in Acworth, and I always associated Atlanta with being an exciting, dynamic, fun place as a child back in Va. I would like to see people respect the city once again, instead of only thinking about suburbs as decent places to live. After all, it is unarguably the capital of the South.

Heh heh...that brings to mind the "Pothole Posse".

On the Olympics...Campbell may have led us through them, but it was was thanks to Billy Payne's tireless campaigning that we got them. Campbell had a small part in making the Olympics a success, but t was mostly just a coincidence that he was mayopr during that time.

BTW...thanks for the ATL compliments, Unifour.

Archived