Winter Garden/Ocoee/Oakland Projects

spenser1058

It's funny, I live in Oakland right on the West Orange Trail and walking hasn't been an issue. I can walk right into downtown Winter Garden on the trail without issue.

My biggest issue is the interesection of Oakland Ave with old 50. It's a disaster not helped by the test drive routes of all the new car dealerships up 50 in Lake County.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tim3167 said:

It's funny, I live in Oakland right on the West Orange Trail and walking hasn't been an issue. I can walk right into downtown Winter Garden on the trail without issue.

My biggest issue is the interesection of Oakland Ave with old 50. It's a disaster not helped by the test drive routes of all the new car dealerships up 50 in Lake County.

Yeah I guess I tend to agree. When I said it "needs it", I mean the place just generally lacks dedicated pedestrian pathways outside of the trail. But the lack of traffic, and general sleepiness of Oakland (how long will that last?) makes walking around fine. It's good to see Oakland getting out in front of the issue, though. Growth is inevitable. Prices are rising in the area quickly. Especially for us renters.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jernigan said:

What intersection is the square at? I'm not familiar with Oakland at all but this thread intrigued me and after a quick Google Ariel search I saw 2 marked civic buIldings a few blocks apart but couldn't make sense of it 

It's easy to miss. It's basically a roundabout with a couple tiny 1 story buildings next to it. But charm is the right word. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.556661,-81.6280934,3a,75y,0.12h,87.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svCkWIJDok0PSzqgvqduk8A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

So a source close to the Turnpike Authority told me that the widening of the Turnpike from SR 50 north is happening soon which means we'll lose the WOT R/R bridge and the replacement bridge is not going to be anything special in the looks dept partly because the county won't maintain it. I'll miss it. Photo

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is sad - WG lost one of its iconic water towers to Irma. Especially sad for me is that South Lake was where my granddad worked.

The WG water towers were much more authentic than the Earful Tower at Disney MGM ever was *sigh*.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weather/hurricane/os-hurricane-irma-water-tower-collapse-20170911-story.html

From the Sentinel

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I like them too aside from those absurd prices. It will be interesting to see how these sell in WG.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The new Florida Hospital Apopka campus is getting underway with an interesting building featuring what seems to be a multi-story atrium.

What's fascinating is the new building will be on Harmon Rd adjoining the Webster (FL 429) just south of the Maitland Blvd interchange. Arguably, that makes it as much a Winter Garden/Ocoee facility as it does Apopka.

As growth continues along the expressway, it seems the difference between North Orange and West Orange is going to blur.

https://www.floridahospital.com/apopka/our-location/future-florida-hospital-apopka

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A new mixed-use townhome project proposed for the SW corner of Maguire Rd and the Turnpike:

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/mixed-use-project-in-ocoee-clears-first-hurdle

From WOT/Observer 

If both this and the Colony Plaza redo happen, traffic along this stretch of Maguire could be a bear.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Winter Garden could easily host a small theater in the downtown area. It is the perfect community by demographics to sustain one. Unfortunately, those are rarely built anymore. The last attempt I remember (which failed) was in Celebration.

How is the building adjacent to the Plant Street Market coming along?