Winter Garden/Ocoee/Oakland Projects

spenser1058

7 minutes ago, codypet said:

I mean Speedway bought Hess only for 7-11 to buy Speedway a few years later and I think 7-11 just had to discharge 200 stores are something like that?  I mean Circle K and Wawa and others are out there but still I was surprised that merger was approved  too.

The Biden administration thinks consolidation among retailers is leading to higher prices (much of the research backs that up), so the merger world is quite different than it was from the late ‘70’s - 2020.

19 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

For the sake of your prices on Kroger delivery, we’ll have to hope it gets approved. I think I read Kroger has to pay Albertsons $600 mil if the deal doesn’t pass antitrust muster.

I'm assuming with a stake like that, they'll do whatever the regulators want.  I'm sure that's just divesting X amount of stores in areas where they would have an unfair advantage.

I'm against these giant mergers myself, but they never ask me.  I know they happen.

It's a lot like those car dealerships that have ridiculous advertising.

We guarantee we'll beat their price or we'll give you the car for free!

Let's do the math.  Are they going to lose $20? $500? $1000? $2500?  or even $5000 on a car deal or are they going to take a full $35,000 loss on an entire vehicle?  Even if the competing dealership has them over a barrel on this particular deal with some wacky price and this dealership is going to lose money no matter what, they are going to lose the smallest amount possible.  Anything less than the full cost of the vehicle is better than the full cost of the vehicle.  So there is a 0% chance of you getting a free car.  That doesn't even include all the fine print about how it has to be the exact same model, equipped exactly the same way, and they basically have to be twin cars for them to even consider honoring it.

Edited by HankStrong

• 2 months later...
On 10/17/2022 at 2:47 PM, spenser1058 said:

The Biden administration thinks consolidation among retailers is leading to higher prices (much of the research backs that up), so the merger world is quite different than it was from the late ‘70’s - 2020.

so Biden is blaming big business for higher prices. typical politics.  and you go right to bat for him by stating that the "research backs that up".  What research, and how does it back that up, and which products are we talking about?  Anyone can cite to any study (or science) that backs their argument, so that means nothing. sorry.

higher prices typically have to do with overhead issues when the government isn't involved.  there are a lot of companies that have a huge market share over their competitors where their prices are not sky high compared to their competitors.  if you're talking about fuel prices, there has been a whole lot of government involvement with that and always will be.  Sunoco is more expensive than WaWa, and Buc-cee's, which has about 240 pumps between Daytona and St. Augustine, is a pretty sizeable competition to other fuel vendors...and they are still cheaper.  Where do they get the fuel from?  What are the tariffs? Docking fees?  Is there a pipeline involved (don't even talk about PA)?  Transport costs?  There are a lot of factors involved and typically government makes those costs go up when it should be making them go down.  Everyone knows this.  You can make a study say anything you want.  Been there done that.

• 4 months later...
13 hours ago, codypet said:

Driving home from WG yesterday I noticed where People's Plaza West used to be, they built a very odd looking 7-11.  I did some research and it looks a lot like this one.

https://www.tastingtable.com/913612/the-high-end-expansion-of-7-eleven/

Seems like Wawa was eating 7-11's lunch and they're gonna try to clone Wawa.

wow.  that looks almost civilized...

• 2 weeks later...