Winter Garden/Ocoee/Oakland Projects

spenser1058

Winter Garden is moving ahead with plans for a boutique hotel on the site of the old Florida Power office at Plant St. and N. Highland. It doesn’t say how the NIMBYs’ parking concerns are being addressed but it looks like this will happen (definitely a win).

Meanwhile, plans are also in the works to restore the old packing house on Tildenville School House Rd. There’s also little info here but it seems to be the plan to make it available to a variety of small businesses 

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/downtown-hotel-introduced-to-winter-garden-commission

From the West Orange Times Observer

A proposed 3-story apartment complex  and remodeling of a 1928 mansion will be reviewed again for a site south of FL 50 at Johns Lake by Oakland’s planning and zoning board.

The property is infamous for having been owned by a brother of terrorist Osama bin Laden:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-bin-laden-property-apartments-move-forward-20190617-as4tday3prbdplxaqk2gnxfrcu-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, RedStar25 said:

I don't want to be a "NIMBY" but, Oakland needs to be left alone. It's a throwback to an earlier time in Florida's history. 

I, and most everyone in Oakland, is upset over the massive amount of development currently happening. 

Change is good, if ya'll don't want development y'all shouldn't live in the fast growing metropolitian area in the country. Lake County is right around the corner if you want small town living. This isn't communist Russia, we live in a free market economy and I believe people should be allowed to live where ever they desire. Denying growth that the market demands is tantamount to communism in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Naqiy90 said:

Change is good, if ya'll don't want development y'all shouldn't live in the fast growing metropolitian area in the country. Lake County is right around the corner if you want small town living. This isn't communist Russia, we live in a free market economy and I believe people should be allowed to live where ever they desire. Denying growth that the market demands is tantamount to communism in my opinion.

Saying "change is good" is overly simplistic.

Some change is good, some isn't. Most change is a double edged sword and it depends on the perspective it's being viewed from as to whether or not the edge one sees is the good edge or the bad edge.

Growth and development brings jobs, opportunity and economic growth, but it also brings traffic, congestion, crime and environmental degredation.

Personally, I'm with the restricted growth crowd. Tell the profiteering developers to go find some other unspoiled, rural paradise to rape. 

11 hours ago, Naqiy90 said:

Denying growth that the market demands is tantamount to communism in my opinion.

Maybe in your opinion, but in fact it is called land use code. I've had my share of arguments with municipalities over their code, but you come to appreciate it when your neighbor wants to open a gas station/ chicken processing plant/ machine shop or something else outside the allowable use. NIMBYs are always those other people- until they are us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Maybe in your opinion, but in fact it is called land use code. I've had my share of arguments with municipalities over their code, but you come to appreciate it when your neighbor wants to open a gas station/ chicken processing plant/ machine shop or something else outside the allowable use. NIMBYs are always those other people- until they are us.

The communism word gets thrown around too loosely.

Sometimes land use codes are changed (either through variances or completely rezoned) to subvert the wishes of homeowners and to accommodate higher density or commercial use which may not be in line with what the homeowners want for their neighborhood. Some people deliberately choose to live in the boonies or more quaint areas to get away from  urban areas, therefore residents should have the right to protect their neighborhoods from incompatible development -- within reason. For example, people who live downtown shouldn't be surprised about plans for new high-rise developments (Solaire owners protesting Modera).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

The communism word gets thrown around too loosely.

Sometimes land use codes are changed (either through variances or completely rezoned) to subvert the wishes of homeowners and to accommodate higher density or commercial use which may not be in line with what the homeowners want for their neighborhood. Some people deliberately choose to live in the boonies or more quaint areas to get away from  urban areas, therefore residents should have the right to protect their neighborhoods from incompatible development -- within reason. For example, people who live downtown shouldn't be surprised about plans for new high-rise developments (Solaire owners protesting Modera).

There's also something interesting about the sustainability of these developments. So many local governments in Florida (I can't speak to Ocoee in particular) are dependent on impact fees from development to provide basic services. Homeowners may not want higher density or more development in their backyards, but they also can't or won't pay the tax rates to maintain roads, schools, water and sewer systems, and other basic civic needs.  So the government approves new development,---which necessitates more and wider roads, more desks in schools, more utilities, and wastewater capactiy---so it can pay the bills, and the cycle continues. 

20 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Also, that isn’t what communism is in the slightest, by its definition.

On 7/19/2019 at 9:35 PM, Naqiy90 said:

Oh lord, get off the cross. Communist Russia?  Naqiy90, your nonsensical post shows you have no idea what you are talking about. 

Have you even been to Oakland? Do you know why the land is being bulldozed? I highly doubt it. 

Edited by RedStar25
edit

The Winter Garden City Commission has approved the addition of a 7-story patient tower for AdventHealth at Fowler Groves (woohoo! WG goes vertical! albeit south of 50 - wonder if it will be taller than the Edgewater Hotel Downtown?)

Also, the commission also approved a 25K sf Goodwill facility on W. Colonial Drive.

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/winter-garden-commission-receives-legislative-update

From the West Orange Times

3-story, 45K sf multi-use building proposed for 270 W. Plant St. in downtown WG.

The building would have first floor retail/restaurant and floors two and three would be office space.

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/commission-to-vote-on-property-sale-for-downtown-development-project

• 2 weeks later...

The Winter Garden City Commission will vote tomorrow on a zoning change that will allow construction of a pedestrian park, pergola and two-story office building:

It’s probably more significant for the fact it’s moving the downtown area west of Park Ave. for the first time:

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/winter-garden-commission-to-vote-on-downtown-property-zoning-at-thursday-meeting

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...