Columbus Village at Town Center (Cancelled)

HRVA

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:21 AM, vdogg said:

While it's not tall I am not really getting the suburban complaint. The buildings are dense and sit on top of parking garages. There is no sea of parking lots. The buildings are flush with the street. I'd say this is fairly urban on par with a Reston Town Center, not so much a Sifen development. I just wish they were taller.

Town Center sounds to small time and there is one in Hampton but there is also a City Center in the area already in Newport News. I think they should rename it Uptown. When someone says Downtown, they are talking about Norfolk. Uptown is like a new urban area in the same area. Sorry for the quote I couldn't get rid of it.

Edited by Virginia City

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

3 Public hearing dates set for public input on the future of City Hall. One of these will involve a FB Live event.

• Monday, June 26 from 6-8 p.m. at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center’s building 19
  • Wednesday, July 26 from 5-6 p.m. on Facebook Live
  • Wednesday, July 26 from 6-8 p.m. at the Virginia Beach Convention Center
  • Wednesday, Aug. 23 from 6-8 p.m. at the Westin Virginia Beach Town Center Ballroom

The culminating result of these Town Halls may very well determine the future of Town Center's major Eastward expansion. 

Options:  Renovate plus expand  existing Bldg., rebuild larger version at Princess Anne Municipal Park, or build anew at Town Center, etc.?

http://southsidedaily.com/2017/06/21/virginia-beach-residents-encouraged-to-voice-opinion-on-new-city-hall-options-at-public-meetings-news/

Edited by baobabs727

2 hours ago, urbanlife said:

Just looking at this again and I realized that it stops at Main St and doesn't include the Barnes and Noble portion. What is up with that part since it appears to not be a part of this potential development?

A/H now owns the entire property bound by Virginia Beach Blvd. to the North, Constitution to the West, the railroad tracks to the South, and Beasley Dr. to the East. They have indicated that the entire property would eventually be re-developed.

20 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

A/H now owns the entire property bound by Virginia Beach Blvd. to the North, Constitution to the West, the railroad tracks to the South, and Beasley Dr. to the East. They have indicated that the entire property would eventually be re-developed.

Okay, that makes more sense, I couldn't imagine A/H not acquiring this property as well. This leads me to think that they will probably be saving this for another tower or two once the old theater site is redeveloped. It will also be interesting to see how the theater site portion turns out because the massing models don't reflect real interests and could, and will, change drastically from what was originally proposed. I remember early massing models for the beginning of the Town Center back in the 90s where they were basically banking on a twin tower design surrounded by low rise buildings. Instead VB has a more organic looking modern downtown.

• Like 1

Oh well. I guess it makes sense, but as we've said in this thread, VB needs to make up its mind. I think it's become too big for its own good, and doesn't know whether it should be a big city, small town, suburb or resort.

• Like 1

So nice of the City to make a decision after having spoken only  with people of rural Virginia Beach who, by the way, uniquely would stand to lose a big asset which now sits in their backyard.

So nice of the city to deny a voice to the vast majority of folks (geographically) who, by the way, happen to have perhaps the most to gain from a relocation.

Right decision or wrong decision, it's unfair and in poor taste to cancel the rest of the town halls after they'd already been announced.  It gives the appearance that you are favoring one subset of citizens over the others. 

• Like 3

I don't think, in the end, that this would have much effect on the development of Town Center either way, but I'm still disappointed. They had one meeting and cancelled it. In the pilot article most of the people who spoke were past middle age. Nothing against the elderly, I'll be there myself one day, but they are by no means representative of a city that has had the greatest percentage increase of millennials in the country! What was the rush to make a decision? Why not let the full schedule of meetings play out? This has been the most inept, clueless, and wimpy council I have seen in my 20 years of living here. Just terrible.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, urbanlife said:

And this is why Virginia's county/city structure is complete nonsense. VB should have never needed to combine with Princess Anne County to turn the whole county into a city. The metro should be made up of counties, towns, and cities that are able to share services if they feel it is necessary. Though I am not surprised that this idea would be rejected, there are still plenty of people in rural and suburbia parts that don't even want to admit that Pembroke is the downtown for VB.

That was done to stop Norfolk from expanding and taking land from Princess Anne County. I think part of it should be turned back to a county but this will never happen

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Norva757 said:

That was done to stop Norfolk from expanding and taking land from Princess Anne County. I think part of it should be turned back to a county but this will never happen

I know the history, I also know that (unless this law has changed) cities can't share services with other cities and counties, they have to be self sustaining. Which is why Northern Virginia is all counties with a bunch of towns.

• Like 2

Whatever it is or however it happened, it's certainly a big ol' mess. I've lived here all my life, and believe you me, nothing ever changes.

And what must our urbanplanet.org brothers and sisters be thinking should they happen to read this thread as it pops up on the main page??

Wait. Don't answer that. We already know! Ugh.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, BFG said:

Meh. Looks like another Wells Fargo or Clark Nexsen tower. Can't wait to see the rooftop that changes colors!

This area is really allergic to innovative architecture.

Agreed, but at the very least it adds some more density to Town Center. The innovative architecture  can come with the 30 and 40 story buildings that come down the road (probably in a couple decades at least).

• Like 1

Nothing special but it does look like what I would expect for VB and the town center. My hope is that the eastern end isn't designed to be a dead end because it is still possible to extend the town center further east. Also, when is it gonna stop being called the "town center?" It has skyscrapers and the tallest building in Virginia, it isn't a center of a town, it is the center of a city. Call it what it is, "Virginia Beach City Center."

• Like 1

That's actually a decent size building along the lines of what I was expecting. I know they plan on doing site clearing, etc., by the end of this year so this is on the very near horizon. It may not be spectacular, but it'll at least add to the increasing urban nature of the area.

16 hours ago, BFG said:

Meh. Looks like another Wells Fargo or Clark Nexsen tower. Can't wait to see the rooftop that changes colors!

This area is really allergic to innovative architecture.

The design could be a bit more inspired but I actually like rooftops that change color. Makes the skyline a bit more vibrant.

7 hours ago, BFG said:

Uptown or Midtown make the most sense. It gives those unfamiliar with the area the impression of a vibrant nightlife, which you can find over there.

With what they're going for, I think it's more than just a "town center".

Well, it is along the lines of something you'd find in Reston and Arlington, and those are still called "Town Centers" even though they look like cities within themselves. I think most people now have a decent idea what to expect when they go to a town center.