Kissimmee | St. Cloud | Celebration

prahaboheme

On 7/25/2017 at 3:39 PM, prahaboheme said:

Kissimmee has become the second central FL city, after Orlando, to adopt the climate change accord:

http://www.aroundosceola.com/divided-kissimmee-commission-passes-climate-accord-3-2/

Way to go, Kissimmee!

Wow, only 2 smart commissioners in Kissimmee...

Trump pulled out of that accord because they enforced all those rules on the US, which redistributed our coal industry to other countries; other countries who's industry and economies went up while ours went down.  Look at the 40 year projections.  Anyone that is for hurting the US economy while helping a foreign economy to that extent, which weakens the US's ability to sustain itself economically with energy, manufacturing, jobs, etc., which affects the US's ability to maintain it's economic sovereignty, needs to just leave this country and live in China or India or Europe instead.  Seriously.

As for green measures, that is a different thing altogether.  If you have local goals, sure, that's fine.  Plant more trees.  Be more energy efficient.  Reduce your carbon footprint.  But, I sure hope that they aren't mandated to give money to the Green Climate Fund.  Because if they do, then they're a bunch of traitors to the taxpayers and don't deserve to continue to hold public office.  Anyone that's ok with that should just go ahead and move to Brussels.

"Are you a climate denier? Are you? Are you?"  That's the typical mouthpiece bullcrap you hear when these people try to corner a candidate or...anyone for that matter on the subject.  Identity and shame politics.  Any time someone does that, it's a major red flag.  For God's sake, even the founder of The Weather Channel took that CNN host to task and laid it all out for him about the legitimacy of the whole Global Warming movement.

And here we are, all proud that 3 commissioners decided to trump Trump.  And what's so funny about this is that it looks like they tried to push this down everyone's throats without either reading the fine print, or, trying to hide it from everyone.  What a bunch of crooks.  That's one of the reasons one of the two commissioners wanted to hold off.  Yet the other 3 just blindly or deceptively pushed it through.

I'm the biggest tree hugger you'll find, but this is just ridiculous.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, prahaboheme said:

Oh, give it a rest. The Paris Agreement is largely a non-binding commitment and a "bottom up" approach to reducing greenhouse gas emissions. 

If the Paris Accord is non-binding, then why even sign onto it? Why?  And you tell me to give it a rest?  Seriously?

I think people need to be reasonable about this stuff.  If you want me to get with the programming (I mean, program), then tell me all the pro's and all the con's and I'll reevaluate my stance.   It may be dogma to you but not to everyone else to have an attitude like that about it.

"We're not signing the city away to anybody."  Why would a commissioner say something like that about this accord in Kissimmee?  Maybe they're an idiot and you have all the answers then.

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

Especially since there are more jobs in solar nationwide than in coal (coal extraction employment began declining under Reagan.)

We might also add that much of that decline in employment took place as owners began to destroy the environment of Appalachia by blowing the tops off mountains.

Also, a change in the mix of fuels at OUC's Stanton Energy Complex made the SunRail deal with CSX possible (and greatly reduced the frustration of drivers waiting for hundreds of coal cars to trundle through downtown every week - CSX balked while they were profiting from that boondoggle.)

http://www.ouc.com/environment-community/green-initiatives/stanton-energy-center/fuel-diversity

Edited by spenser1058

8 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Especially since there are more jobs in solar nationwide than in coal (coal extraction employment began declining under Reagan.)

I'm all for solar, wind, hydro, etc.  But why do we have to sign onto the Paris Accord?  Why do we have to give our money for the benefit of other countries?  It makes no sense unless money is involved.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Because we have to work together to effect meaningful change in emissions. It can't be just the US or just China, it needs to be a coordinated effort.

up until now it's been our money benefiting other countries, and China and India do whatever they want.  China dictates and we jump.  that's crazy.  It is one-sided.

That's exactly the sort of thing Paris is all about. It has to be fair for everyone (not to mention the fact the US, as the largest economy for the past century, had one of the worst cumulative records.)

An agreement had to be determined that ensured countries only now industrializing did not feel penalized for being late to the party.

Like the Constitution, the Paris agreement is by no means perfect. It is, however, the one that has the best chance of being the most inclusive to solve the problem. The US opting out, just as we did with the League of Nations, moves us in the wrong direction.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, jrs2 said:

If the Paris Accord is non-binding, then why even sign onto it? Why?  And you tell me to give it a rest?  Seriously?

I think people need to be reasonable about this stuff.  If you want me to get with the programming (I mean, program), then tell me all the pro's and all the con's and I'll reevaluate my stance.   It may be dogma to you but not to everyone else to have an attitude like that about it.

"We're not signing the city away to anybody."  Why would a commissioner say something like that about this accord in Kissimmee?  Maybe they're an idiot and you have all the answers then.

I see no reason to explain the pros and cons of the Paris Agreement to someone who has done no individual investment on this issue, and who has willfully and admittedly not researched it personally. 

Come back to me when you have done your homework. In the mean time, I would suggest you also stop throwing out unfounded accusations about comissioners in Kissimmee, all of who I know personally.

8 hours ago, castorvx said:

Edit: I should add that I DO understand why it's a political issue. Political tribalism. As soon as the GOP made this a campaign issue it suddenly became evil to 45% of the country. No questions asked.

I think  what you are missing here, is that the stance on the Paris Accord is that is was a bad deal for the US to the benefit of other nations.  And the excuse that nations currently industrializing shouldn't be under the same restrictions is bunk. 

14 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Hey guys...Neocity...pretty kewl amirite?

Kewl indeed - and moving right along with  the buildout of the research and development building onsite. Hopefully this is just the start of major investment:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/08/02/osceola-county-names-design-firm-for-1st-neocity.html

9 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I think  what you are missing here, is that the stance on the Paris Accord is that is was a bad deal for the US to the benefit of other nations.  And the excuse that nations currently industrializing shouldn't be under the same restrictions is bunk. 

False.

Did you take a few mins to read it yet?

Edited by prahaboheme

3 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Another example of how Kissimmmee (and St Cloud) are adopting advanced technologies.

First US cities to build underground dumpsters:

http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2017/08/01/underground-dumpster.cnnmoney/index.html?sr=fbCNN080417underground-dumpster011027PMStoryVideo

But are they linking it to the AVAC at MK?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, prahaboheme said:

Should be noted that the company behind this is Underground Refuse Systems, a product of the UCF Incubator program! 

Glad to hear that. I really want us to invest in companies like that instead of playing bingo bucks with megacorporations that bounce one government off the next for corporate welfare and then abandon ship just a few years later.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2017 at 4:30 PM, prahaboheme said:

Another example of how Kissimmmee (and St Cloud) are adopting advanced technologies.

First US cities to build underground dumpsters:

http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2017/08/01/underground-dumpster.cnnmoney/index.html?sr=fbCNN080417underground-dumpster011027PMStoryVideo

As much as I love NYC, they need to figure out what to do with their trash other than to put it out on the sidewalk after 5pm everyday.

• Like 1

It appears Kissimmee is finally moving forward with the reconstruction of Broadway to improve the pedestrian experience -- including the replacement of the four-way intersection for a roundabout and elevated crosswalks:

http://www.aroundosceola.com/commission-to-vote-on-future-of-broadway/

Unfortunately, the more progressive option to give the Broadway corridor a road diet seems to have been vetoed by area business.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

It appears Kissimmee is finally moving forward with the reconstruction of Broadway to improve the pedestrian experience -- including the replacement of the four-way intersection for a roundabout and elevated crosswalks:

http://www.aroundosceola.com/commission-to-vote-on-future-of-broadway/

Unfortunately, the more progressive option to give the Broadway corridor a road diet seems to have been vetoed by area business.

I like the Edgewater Drive design.  Traffic circles can get confusing.  Do you mean a "travel lane" diet?  What do you mean by more "progressive"?  Do you mean more "drastic"?  Or do you mean more alternative to car friendly?  Because both plans call for bike lanes, no?