Kissimmee | St. Cloud | Celebration

prahaboheme

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

I honestly think this is the leg that's going to save Sunrail for many people (Hopefully it'll mean a more frequent schedule).  There's no good way right now to get to Orlando from Kissimmee and Poinciana.  Especially during rush hour.  When I rode it to Lake Mary for work, I found the trip clean safe and relaxing.  Only minorly inconvenient unless I missed the train when I worked late and had to wait 2 hours.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, codypet said:

I honestly think this is the leg that's going to save Sunrail for many people (Hopefully it'll mean a more frequent schedule).  There's no good way right now to get to Orlando from Kissimmee and Poinciana.  Especially during rush hour.  When I rode it to Lake Mary for work, I found the trip clean safe and relaxing.  Only minorly inconvenient unless I missed the train when I worked late and had to wait 2 hours.  

I don't like the location of the "Poinciana" station.  It is what it is, much like the DeBary station in location to the populated core.

6 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I don't like the location of the "Poinciana" station.  It is what it is, much like the DeBary station in location to the populated core.

Excellent and accurate use of quotation marks.    I have a book https://www.amazon.com/Book-Unnecessary-Quotation-Marks-Celebration/dp/0811876454/ that never fails to crack me up about people using them inappropriately.

I very much agree that it is a bizarre place for a station, but I've stared at that map trying to find a better spot and didn't see one without them putting new tracks in.

44 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Excellent and accurate use of quotation marks.    I have a book https://www.amazon.com/Book-Unnecessary-Quotation-Marks-Celebration/dp/0811876454/ that never fails to crack me up about people using them inappropriately.

I very much agree that it is a bizarre place for a station, but I've stared at that map trying to find a better spot and didn't see one without them putting new tracks in.

Exactly.  Cost.  It is what it is.  But driving from there south along Pleasant Hill or Poinciana Blvd to the core takes a few minutes.  And yes, I don't even think that's even "in" unincorporated Poinciana.  But, I would rather drive 4 miles to that station and take Sunrail instead of the alternative, to get to downtown.  So, in that respect, it's a good location.

I'm not sure there would have been a better location for the Poinciana station than Poinciana Blvd / OBT.

At that spot, it'll at least be somewhat convenient for the folks coming from Polk and, of course, Poinciana.  I actually think this station will get a pretty decent ridership count for the reasons already stated (it's just so difficult to get out of that part of Osceola).

I've never been to Poinciana, but looking at the map it doesn't seem to have a historic core/city center. I think it's pretty normal for these bedroom communities on the metro's outskirts to have stations that are more of a park-and-ride situation for commuters.

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Poinciana, like Deltona and Rocket City, were never real towns. They were massive subdivisions planned in the 1960's by often shady developers. They give real meaning to Gertrude Stein's phrase, "There's no there there."

Exactly.  It is like Deltona.  What's Rocket City?

38 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Exactly.  It is like Deltona.  What's Rocket City?

Rocket City was a doomed development pre-Disney, accessible on FL 520 just past the Bithlo cutoff. By far the worst of such developments (including lots too small to build on and/or totally inaccessible from any of the poorly built streets,) much of it was replatted and became part of legit subdivisions like Wedgefield.

Edited by spenser1058

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The Curious Case of the Celebration Theater:

https://amp.businessinsider.com/disney-world-mystery-of-movie-theater-in-celebration-florida-being-closed-2018-3

Once again, greed may doom a local landmark.

From Business Insider

Something really does need to be done about the theater. That said, this article is a bit off the mark, like most that attempt to tackle the "Celebration problem".

The crown jewel, if there is one, is probably the Graham Gund designed  Bohemian Hotel, or even Stern's community layout. 

The article relies on typical criticisms of Celebration and new urbanism to make its point. For instance, "it's all a facade".  Celebration is now 28 years old. Some of the locally owned businesses in Celebration  are thriving with a loyal customer base (Celebration Town Tavern and Columbia Restaurant comes to mind). There is an ever  expanding hospital, multiple schools (both public and private), a Stetson University branch, several churches, an office complex,  golf course...the list goes on.

It is a shame that AMC will not relinquish its control of the theatre. I don't think this is necessarily a referendum on the community as a whole.

• Like 2

AMC had a long-term lease on the building and it was never busy from the get go.  Rumor back than was AMC wanted 8 theatres but Disney wanted it to be small.  They pay the rent and I’m sure at a good rate so the management isn’t going to let them out of the deal that’s favorable financially.

The topic of incorporation has come up a few times but financially that’s a huge commitment. When they build island village maybe the numbers will make it more plausible.

Edited by Kaz
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...