Kissimmee | St. Cloud | Celebration

prahaboheme

14 hours ago, smileguy said:

Seawolves? I couldn't think of a less representative name!

"According to a statement from MASL, the team's name was chosen from a list of 2,800 user-submitted ideas. 'Our sea wolf is perfectly at home on land, but can kick it with the gators, too,' said SeaWolves General Manager Chris Kokalis." (Orlando Weekly)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’m not sure where Chris worked last but he took his mailing list with him so I’m getting their newsletters.  Good luck, Chris.  If it doesn’t work out, there will be another startup league salivating over Orlando’s non-NFL market in a year or two 

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

I’m not sure where Chris worked last but he took his mailing list with him so I’m getting their newsletters.  Good luck, Chris.  If it doesn’t work out, there will be another startup league salivating over Orlando’s non-NFL market in a year or two 

Same with me and some minor league baseball team called the frogs?  They got my name from some mailing list (I'm going to take a big guess and say the Predators?) and I get tons and tons and tons of emails from them.

• 4 weeks later...

A first glimpse at the new office building under construction at NeoCity to enhance the advanced manufacturing facility. The NeoCity Academy STEM school is also under construction on site. Both will be completed in 2019.

https://www.floridaconstructionnews.com/moss-awarded-contract-for-neocity-office-building-construction/

D2D24FB4-22F6-4672-A28D-BF5DCE129F84.jpeg

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, orlandouprise said:

Nice, just wish our islands of urbanity were closer together. LN and NeoCity would be awesome if they were closer to DT

I agree that Lake Nona is an island in sea of sprawl. NeoCity is a mile from downtown Kissimmee - I would consider it infill (and of the best kind that Kissimmee has seen in a very long time).

Osceola leaders fought to bring the advanced manufacturing facility to Kissimmee. Had they helped Orlando in that effort, would they reap any of the benefits? 

Osceola may be going rogue on central Florida, but can anyone blame them? 

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

I agree that Lake Nona is an island in sea of sprawl. NeoCity is a mile from downtown Kissimmee - I would consider it infill (and of the best kind that Kissimmee has seen in a very long time).

Osceola leaders fought to bring the advanced manufacturing facility to Kissimmee. Had they helped Orlando in that effort, would they reap any of the benefits? 

Osceola may be going rogue on central Florida, but can anyone blame them? 

Curious - what do you mean by going rogue?

It is interesting that everyone on here appears to think all central Florida cities and counties should play nice and just let downtown Orlando get every project and investment. Like you described on your post, Seminole also fought hard for the Lake Mary developments (Deloitte, etc).

it is great to see Osceola get some love, they could use more, not less. 

5 hours ago, leondecollao said:

Curious - what do you mean by going rogue?

It is interesting that everyone on here appears to think all central Florida cities and counties should play nice and just let downtown Orlando get every project and investment. Like you described on your post, Seminole also fought hard for the Lake Mary developments (Deloitte, etc).

it is great to see Osceola get some love, they could use more, not less. 

I think you both agree with each other. Prahaboheme has long been a champion of the many awesome things happening in Osceola and especially the revitalization of Kissimmee.

As you mentioned, I think the "rogue" reference was to those who insist that any project located outside downtown Orlando is somehow a failure on the part of the entire metro area. The fact that such an idea ignores the entire history of the region seems to be of no matter to those folks.

Where the region has dropped the ball is in its failure to connect all the dots with better transit options. Here, too, Osceola has been leading the charge to remedy that with its embrace of both Lynx and SunRail. Much of that has to be changed in Tallahassee and Washington but a unified voice from our local leaders would certainly help.

Edited by spenser1058

I am one of those people Spencer is referring to. I wish ORL was a tighter urban cluster. I dislike the spread out suburban nature of the region. I dislike huge setbacks and seas of parking lots. I hate the fact mostly everyone identifies our area as Central Florida and Central Floridians instead Orlando and Orlandoans. Most large metros don't infight and subdivide like we do. People here consider it an insult to lumped in with Orlando, yet other large spread out metros like Atlanta have embraced being called Atlantans. Same goes for Bostonians, Chicagoans, and on and on...

Great cities are made up of vibrant neighborhoods that interconnect to make a great quilt-like area. Each patch is unique and adds to the overall feel of the area but and the same time they recognize that they are part of the much larger quilt. Here, every patch wants to be its own city, its own quilt, oblivious to the strength we could have as a unified area.

IMO, this is one of the biggest things holding back this region...my .02 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, orlandouprise said:

I am one of those people Spencer is referring to. I wish ORL was a tighter urban cluster. I dislike the spread out suburban nature of the region. I dislike huge setbacks and seas of parking lots. I hate the fact mostly everyone identifies our area as Central Florida and Central Floridians instead Orlando and Orlandoans. Most large metros don't infight and subdivide like we do. People here consider it an insult to lumped in with Orlando, yet other large spread out metros like Atlanta have embraced being called Atlantans. Same goes for Bostonians, Chicagoans, and on and on...

Great cities are made up of vibrant neighborhoods that interconnect to make a great quilt-like area. Each patch is unique and adds to the overall feel of the area but and the same time they recognize that they are part of the much larger quilt. Here, every patch wants to be its own city, its own quilt, oblivious to the strength we could have as a unified area.

IMO, this is one of the biggest things holding back this region...my .02 

I take it you're referring to the same Atlanta that just relocated the Braves to suburban Cobb County along with its newspaper and whose MARTA rail was rejected outside the two innermost urban core counties. Atlanta has long been the postal child for the suburbs having no interest in working with urban Fulton and DeKalb counties.

Yes, that would be the same Atlanta I'm referring to. Every region has its warts, (Marta was rejected in suburban counties over racial issues)  but in general, the Atlanta region has realized its strength is in its inner core. Developers have come back to the city center to build billions of $$$ worth of development. They have changed peoples living habits as more and more Atlantans are looking to live near Marta stations and many developers are not incorporating parking decks into their buildings anymore. Atlanta has been growing from its core once again and that more than anything has fueled  Atlanta's success over the last 10-15 years. just saying, Orlando can learn and thing or two from other cities mishaps from the past.

Assuming the last few posts reference Kissimmee and not just our other sprawl....consider:

Minneapolis to St Paul - 11 miles

Orlando to Kissimmee - 22 miles

Dallas to Fort Worth - 30 miles

Twin cities baby.   Connected by rail no less.

(insert “it’s happening!” Meme here)

3 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Assuming the last few posts reference Kissimmee and not just our other sprawl....consider:

I think Lake Nona will eventually become Batman's Robin, not Kissimmee.  LN is embracing urban design at a much more rapid pace than Kissimmee and is setup for future hi-rise development IMO. I think 20-25 years from now LN is our  2nd skyline a la Buckhead if it can connect to DT ORL via rail

If downtown grows to encompass north quarter, wouldn’t LN  possibly be our “midtown” or “uptown” ?  I’m not good with miles and had to google my other references for twin cities.

Ill stand by Kissimmee though.  It’s not going to be high rises downtown but NeoCity will add what it’s missing overall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

I hate the fact mostly everyone identifies our area as Central Florida and Central Floridians instead Orlando and Orlandoans. [...] People here consider it an insult to lumped in with Orlando,

I don't think thats quite true even though... I hear tons of people say they're from Orlando when they're not, when they live in Oviedo, Kissimmee, Clermont, Winter Garden, etc. The only areas I hear people doing as you say are the specific areas that are considered super high class and they bought for the address... Winter Park, Windemere, etc

Infact, I've heard many joke that Orlando is ridiculous with how far it spans out, as people have called Cocoa, Daytona,  Kennedy Space Center, and Legoland part of Orlando, despite being fairly far and not considered as part of the metro by many others. Isn't the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority suing airports for using the Orlando name outside of Orlando? Disney uses the Orlando name as well, and not Central Florida.

Edited by aent
  • Like 2

I believe "Orlando is wherever Sunrail takes passengers. The fact that Sunrail plans ( to at least on paper) a station in Deland  and have built a station in Poinciana, is suggestive as to what the  ppl here consider is "Orlando" unofficially from its northern to southern borders. East to west is still to be determined. But I believe from Clermont to the Stanton smoke stacks would be "Orlando."

19 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Raleigh to Durham is 25 miles.  Going bar hopping there was a shuttle bar bus that took you back and forth between the two cities.  They've been trying to get rail in there forever, but it hasn't happened yet.   

Image result for raleigh durham bar bus

14 hours ago, aent said:

I don't think thats quite true even though... I hear tons of people say they're from Orlando when they're not, when they live in Oviedo, Kissimmee, Clermont, Winter Garden, etc. The only areas I hear people doing as you say are the specific areas that are considered super high class and they bought for the address... Winter Park, Windemere, etc

Infact, I've heard many joke that Orlando is ridiculous with how far it spans out, as people have called Cocoa, Daytona,  Kennedy Space Center, and Legoland part of Orlando, despite being fairly far and not considered as part of the metro by many others. Isn't the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority suing airports for using the Orlando name outside of Orlando? Disney uses the Orlando name as well, and not Central Florida.

Yes, Melbourne recently got sued for using it and there had been beef for a while about Sanford using it.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, aent said:

I'm not talking about marketing or when people from here are out of town. In that case, most people will almost always say they are from Orlando as its the most recognizable name for people who are not from the area.  I'm talking in general in the local media (news, newspaper, radio, etc) we generally are referred to in this area as Central Florida and Central Floridians. My point was most people in large metros identify themselves under the umbrella of the largest city in the area (example: Atlantans, Chicagoans, Bostonians) even if they live in the burbs. People in Atlanta don't say North Georgians for people who live in the metro area and so forth...Here it is different...its C FL and every little town is fighting for recognition it seems and people just wont accept being Orlandoans. Just an observation,...that's all.

I thought of this conversation watching American idol last night. A girl auditioned and said she was from Winter Haven many times and then was immediately followed by a girl from McKinney, TX who kept saying she was from Dallas, outside of Dallas, close to Dallas.  There is some truth that Orlando does not seem to have the same catchet.  With that said, central Florida is part of our identity and will always be the case most likely, kinda like New England is with most folks around Boston. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

I'm not talking about marketing or when people from here are out of town. In that case, most people will almost always say they are from Orlando as its the most recognizable name for people who are not from the area.  I'm talking in general in the local media (news, newspaper, radio, etc) we generally are referred to in this area as Central Florida and Central Floridians. My point was most people in large metros identify themselves under the umbrella of the largest city in the area (example: Atlantans, Chicagoans, Bostonians) even if they live in the burbs. People in Atlanta don't say North Georgians for people who live in the metro area and so forth...Here it is different...its C FL and every little town is fighting for recognition it seems and people just wont accept being Orlandoans. Just an observation,...that's all.

I admittedly don't watch the local news at all (I don't have TV), but I understood you weren't just saying from a marketing/tourist perspective, but just my observation isn't quite the same. Central Florida is often used for a bit wider area then what anyone would call Orlandoans as well though... I've heard Tampa referred to as Central Florida (and South Florida). If memory serves me right from Gainesville, WESH covered there as well. I've just frequently been annoyed with people insisting they live in city of Orlando when I'm asking them to be more specific to try to figure out where to meet them thats convienent for both of us... and have ended up with answers like Palm Bay, Casselberry, etc.

On 5/30/2018 at 11:19 AM, Jernigan said:

Major difference here is that Minneapolis and St. Paul literally border one another; there aren't suburbs or boundaries separating them.  The Target Field light rail station on the western edge of downtown MPLS is only 12.5 miles from the Union Depot on the eastern edge of downtown STP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Twin Citian said:

Major difference here is that Minneapolis and St. Paul literally border one another; there aren't suburbs or boundaries separating them.  The Target Field light rail station on the western edge of downtown MPLS is only 12.5 miles from the Union Depot on the eastern edge of downtown STP.

Well, dang.  Thanks and your alert game is strong!