Kissimmee | St. Cloud | Celebration

prahaboheme

6 hours ago, Twin Citian said:

Major difference here is that Minneapolis and St. Paul literally border one another; there aren't suburbs or boundaries separating them.  The Target Field light rail station on the western edge of downtown MPLS is only 12.5 miles from the Union Depot on the eastern edge of downtown STP.

*Gives a toss of the beret standing on Nicolette Mall and many thanks!*

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/29/2018 at 10:44 PM, leondecollao said:

Curious - what do you mean by going rogue?

It is interesting that everyone on here appears to think all central Florida cities and counties should play nice and just let downtown Orlando get every project and investment. Like you described on your post, Seminole also fought hard for the Lake Mary developments (Deloitte, etc).

it is great to see Osceola get some love, they could use more, not less. 

Spenser is right - we are on the same side of this issue. All I suggest is that for Kissimmee to get out from under the economic grip of Orange County and perhaps even to a larger extend, Disney, it has had to think insular. Let’s not forget that it was Disney that decided to pull all those economy motel rooms off 192 and in house.  It was also Disney that effectively killed CSS in DTO.

I agree with HankStrong, the Florida Project was a pretty awful indie movie (his first film Tangerine was much better).  Where it somewhat succeeds is showing a side of Orlando err Kissimmee and Florida that has become “the projects”. Those who recall the glory days of H192 would also remember that Kissimmee at one point was perhaps more marketable domestically than Orlando. I’ll leave it up to a thesis on Americana 90s style to reconcile that.  During that time, Osceola way VERY far along in a plan to build a convention center on Osceola Pkwy to compete with and rival the OCCC. Thankfully those plans never materialized and the effort was diverted to turning the Silver Spurs Arena into the Osceola Heritage Park - a major driver for bringing mid sized expositions, conventions and concerts (mostly country) to the region (and importantly, to the center of Kissimmee, not out on west 192).

It’s sometimes hard to remember that Disney’s front door is Kissimmee. Or it was. Arguably that shifted over to LBV. Notice how Disney is now tearing down the Crossroads to swing another offramp right into their property? It will be interesting to observe how this impacts the area adjacent. Let HW192 be a lesson.

All this brings me back to the current situation in Kissimmee, which I’ll talk about in a future post soon. 

The high points, most of which are over a decade or longer in the making, seem to be eco-tourism, NeoCity, downtown consolidation and investment, advanced education, municipal airport investment, and improving accessibility around the county. Will get to all those points soon.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 9:28 AM, orlandouprise said:

I think Lake Nona will eventually become Batman's Robin, not Kissimmee.  LN is embracing urban design at a much more rapid pace than Kissimmee and is setup for future hi-rise development IMO. I think 20-25 years from now LN is our  2nd skyline a la Buckhead if it can connect to DT ORL via rail

Would that make Kissimmee’s Robin, Lake Nona’s older sibling Celebration?

In terms of 2nd skyline, I don’t see how that would ever be possible in LN given that it is due south of a major landing strip at OIA.

Edited by prahaboheme

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2018 at 3:42 PM, prahaboheme said:

A first glimpse at the new office building under construction at NeoCity to enhance the advanced manufacturing facility. The NeoCity Academy STEM school is also under construction on site. Both will be completed in 2019.

https://www.floridaconstructionnews.com/moss-awarded-contract-for-neocity-office-building-construction/

D2D24FB4-22F6-4672-A28D-BF5DCE129F84.jpeg

In addition to the office building under construction, a private developer has filed plans with the city of Kissimmee to begin the “gateway” project for NeoCity. This will be a mixed use (largely office) development at 192 and will feature a pedestrian bridge connecting to the Valencia Osceola campus directly north. From the plans, it appears that Trader Joe’s has already signed on as one of the tenants.

CC6AC830-24B0-4F46-95EF-3E72BF6FBEB3.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sunshine said:

Hmmm...I thought Neo suppiose to be urban

This is actually not NeoCity, although it is at the gateway into it. The master plan for NeoCity, by Perkins+Wills is available online and I’ve linked to it earlier in this thread. 

This area is relatively ex-urban and the goal is to ramp up to an urban center within the NeoCity development.

Lake Nona is no different, really.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/29/2018 at 3:42 PM, prahaboheme said:

A first glimpse at the new office building under construction at NeoCity to enhance the advanced manufacturing facility. The NeoCity Academy STEM school is also under construction on site. Both will be completed in 2019.

https://www.floridaconstructionnews.com/moss-awarded-contract-for-neocity-office-building-construction/

D2D24FB4-22F6-4672-A28D-BF5DCE129F84.jpeg

The class A office building at Neocity has gone vertical - video here:

The NeoCity Academy stem school also broke ground in September and will be open for the 2019 fall class. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The design guidelines that Kissimmee instituted for the Neocity zoning district are starting to come into effect. This includes an area adjacent to Neocity (generally speaking, the Valencia College / Osceola Heritage Park sections of 192) not just the master plan for Neocity itself. It will be interesting to see how this area transforms in the years ahead.

http://www.growthspotter.com/news/osceola-county-developments/gs-park-square-redesign-kissimmee-apartments-neocity-20181009-story.html

900DA77F-4825-407E-85DE-823BAE7A4DE1.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Downtown Kissimmee will be starting a free circulator later this month, operated by LYNX.   

http://www.golynx.com/maps-schedules/routes-detail.stml?portalProcess_dd_0_1_1=showPublicPosting&calendar_entry_id=5082

It’s amazing how much Kissimmee has been leading the way on urban issues the last few years. It sure ain’t cow town these days.

Before you know it, prahaboheme will be back to run for mayor...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s amazing how much Kissimmee has been leading the way on urban issues the last few years. It sure ain’t cow town these days.

Before you know it, prahaboheme will be back to run for mayor...

The current administration really does seem to “get it”. They’ve done a top notch job centralizing transit services in downtown Kissimmee, adding hundreds of daily riders to the streets of downtown. With the city redevelopment facade grants, many of the downtown shops and buildings have seen facade upgrades in the past year.

With major updates to the road infrastructure around downtown occurring (which was desperately needed), hopefully this translates into further economic growth for the center of town.

The stalemate at the moment seems to be the Mosaic development (residential, hotel, and restaurant / retail around the Lakefront park).  Hopefully this breaks ground soon, as this would really be the game changer for Kissimmee.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Downtown Kissimmee will be starting a free circulator later this month, operated by LYNX.   

http://www.golynx.com/maps-schedules/routes-detail.stml?portalProcess_dd_0_1_1=showPublicPosting&calendar_entry_id=5082

Hmm... I can combine this and Sunrail to try out that BBQ place we were talking about in the other thread...

3 hours ago, Naqiy90 said:

Or take LYNX #10 from Kissimmee, much cheaper, depending on where the BBQ Place is in St Cloud

Only 9 miles from Kissimmee SunRail.  Which on Link 10 will take just an hour.

Big John’s Rockin BBQ is only steps away from the train station though in beautiful downtown Kissimmee 

Edited by Jernigan

Man, that would've really been a kick in the balls.  Why hasn't Google updated! *angrily shakes fist* 

2 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Big John’s Rockin BBQ is only steps away from the train station though in beautiful downtown Kissimmee 

I did notice that there was a BBQ place in the downtown.  I don't recall it being there about 4 years ago last time I was there, so will probably just try that whatever day.

18 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Only 9 miles from Kissimmee SunRail.  Which on Link 10 will take just an hour.

True, looking at that route it is very circuitous, I assumed it just went straight down 192 but that would make too make sense for LYNX. I hope they straighten out their routes if they ever follow through with the  route optimization plan they're supposedly working on, their long and meandering routes anger me as a frequent user thanks to my free fares as UCF student.