Kissimmee | St. Cloud | Celebration

prahaboheme

Kissimmee Gateway Airport upgrades to “National” status:

http://orlando-politics.com/2019/04/16/faa-classifies-kissimmee-gateway-airport-as-national-for-general-aviation-airport/

From Orlando Politics 

Before you know it, they’ll probably change their name to Orlando-Kissimmee and GOAA will have to sue them, too!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:16 AM, spenser1058 said:

Good point! I guess my perspective is about the folks flying into Sanford who find out they can’t use Disney Magical Express. It makes them cranky.

"Kissimmee National" actually has s decent ring to it, certainly better than "Kissimmee Gateway".

On another note, the long delayed Mosaic development at the Kissimmee Lakefront appears to be moving forward.

Mosaic files long-awaited plans for downtown Kissimmee apartments    

- 304 market rate apartments, this is in addition to the recently announced 206 unit complex planned for another downtown Kissimmee parcel

- 10k retail space right at the lakefront

- more of a modern design than what was originally envisioned (traditional vernacular)

http://www.growthspotter.com/news/residential-property-developments/multi-family/gs-mosaic-files-long-awaited-plans-for-downtown-kissimmee-apartments-20190502-story.html

Osceola County voters will decide on a 1-cent sales tax increase this month to benefit roads and transit (75-25 split).

This would put the county at the Florida max of 8.5% along with Hillsborough County, which also voted last year for a higher levy to improve transportation.

County officials note as much as 50% of the tax will be paid by tourists.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/osceola-county/os-ne-osceola-sales-tax-advance-20190508-wzarktu4z5c4rpfdzdtlsbjadq-story.html

From the Sentinel 

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Osceola County voters will decide on a 1-cent sales tax increase this month to benefit roads and transit (75-25 split).

This would put the county at the Florida max of 8.5% along with Hillsborough County, which also voted last year for a higher levy to improve transportation.

County officials note as much as 50% of the tax will be paid by tourists.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/osceola-county/os-ne-osceola-sales-tax-advance-20190508-wzarktu4z5c4rpfdzdtlsbjadq-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Orange is right behind them, with a ballot measure being prepared for later this year. With the shift of Sunrail to the local governments, let's hope there is enough garnered by these taxes to see some additional improvements. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smileguy said:

Orange is right behind them, with a ballot measure being prepared for later this year. With the shift of Sunrail to the local governments, let's hope there is enough garnered by these taxes to see some additional improvements. 

My understanding is Orange will hold off until 2020. I hope they do because if it goes to the ballot in 2019, about the only voters who will show up are mostly the hardcore anti-tax folks.

Waiting ‘til next year brings out the casual voters because of the presidential race who are more likely to support it.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
20 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I don't disagree, just always felt that Poinciana was almost largely developed as an isolation.  The current leadership of CFX is often in search of projects regardless of their value or merit in my opinion.  This is one I knew nothing about.

This is a distinctly Florida phenomenon. Developers bought up huge tracts of land in the middle of nowhere to sell as retirement homes to unsuspecting Yankees. Many had problems (swampland, plots too small to build on, no street access, etc.) but hey, this was the dream (the timeshare industry learned how to sell from these guys).

A funny thing happened, though. As Florida growth exploded, companies like the Mackle Brothers and General Development decided they could build entry-level housing (maybe fixing some of the problems, maybe not -Deltona, for example, is still prone to flooding).

What’s scary is, these suburbs on steroids (without downtowns or much of anything, there is no there there) often became huge. Deltona is now Volusia’s largest city; Palm Bay (originally Port Malabar) is Brevard’s.

Lots of people with few redeeming qualities - these are the places like Poinciana.

Edited by spenser1058

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Osceola picks hotel partner for OHP-NeoCity sites

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/osceola-county-developments/gs-news-ohp-hotel-bids-20191113-segdqp4xsncs7poxwlqt55fwnm-story.html#nt=oft-Double%20Chain~Feed-Driven%20Flex%20Feature~gs-top-stories~gs-lead-story~~1~yes-art~automated~curatedpage

Great to see these hotels moving forward and to see Kissimmee continuing to shift its geographic center back to the historic core and environs over the tourism corridor. These incremental changes are going to have a long lasting impact.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Ooooh, those are fun, if a bit challenging to read...

I think these at in addition to the regular street signs intended for cars, whereas these are intended for pedestrians at sidewalk level similar to what I believe Winter Park also has on Park Ave (if I recall).

• Like 1